Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
How does it look after the beatings?
really good, its hard, but also soft enough to sort of self heal when you wash and wax the truck
for less than 60 dollars its IMO a cheap solution

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I was on the same hunt as you for my Oxford White after seeing several rock chips a few months into ownership. I don't hate the look of the AVS products. I was planning on PPF for the whole hood so it looked clean even though it was the most expensive. Anyway, the other day I had the hood up in the garage and accidentally closed the garage door leaving a large scratch...so it'll have to wait until after I repaint it.

tempImagefbSNFl.png
Man that is my worst nightmare right there! I actually did sort of the same thing. My garage fridge is in front of where I park my truck so I only have a few inches to spare from the back of my truck to the garage door. One time I didn't quite pull all the way in and the handle on the garage door nicked my tailgate above the rear camera as the door went up.

Now it's a battle scar and a reminder to make sure I am in all the way.
Ford F-150 Hood protector recommendations? IMG_6515

Last edited:

smoqinhill

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ordered 2024 XLT F150, Silverado 1500
Occupation
Retired
20211005_155446.jpg

Ford OEM deflector.
Thanks for posting this pic. I have an XLT SCREW in Avalanche on order and have been looking for a pic showing a black deflector on that color in order to get an idea. It will have the chrome package but the 2024 grill will be mostly black except for a chrome strip across the center. This pic at least gives me an idea of how a black hood deflector will look on the gray. Still have to use some imagination with having more black grill and chrome wheels but I think it may work.
20211005_155446.jpg

Ford OEM deflector.

Sponsored

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
... On time I didn't quite pull all the way in and the handle on the garage door nicked my tailgate above the rear camera as the door went up. ...
Try a hanging tennis ball as a parking guide. It's cheap and low-tech but annoying, perhaps.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Does RealTruck have a presence here, and give discounts?

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
20211005_155446.jpg

Ford OEM deflector.
i had the ford one on my 2021 f250
my only complaint was that is was very animated at 75 mph, it flapped quite a bit if a semi passed by ,
but it was easy to clean behind it and was mounted very well.

Jean Deaux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 5.0
i had the ford one on my 2021 f250
my only complaint was that is was very animated at 75 mph, it flapped quite a bit if a semi passed by ,
but it was easy to clean behind it and was mounted very well.
Hmmm, I haven't noticed any flapping. Those rubber cones support the deflector pretty well, it just sticks to them at highway speeds. The only complaint is one of those cones moved a bit during excessive Texas heat couple years ago (adhesive material melted under direct sun when we were travelling). I moved it back and it sits well since then.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I just ordered the AVS bugshield II and a Revolver X4S from RealTruck. Their social media person that monitors F150Forum and offers discounts also happens to be on duty on RealTruck's chat client. They don't provide promo codes but, instead, build and enter the order for you. 9% off of a $1,265 order, shipping today.

RealTruck can't discount WeatherTech, because they don't own it, so I switched preferences from WeatherTech to AVS.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
It bothers my wife but I do not follow trucks without mud flaps so as to avoid damage from rocks thrown up by the tires. I had a hole put in a radiator of a truck and after that experience I changed my driving to avoid a repeat.

With the current fad of having tires extending out past the edge of the fenders the situation has become much worse. Add in the needlessly aggressive treads that the guys think makes them look bad and the rocks that get tossed up to hit other vehicles is much more of a problem.

Elmo777

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 powerboost
Occupation
C.O.O.
I've owned my '21 Velocity Blue XLT about 6 months. It's pure stock with two-tone paint, a black grill and some chrome. I'm not too finicky about its appearance but, while washing it yesterday, I noticed more rock chips in the hood than I was aware of before.

I'm contemplating getting a hood protector to conceal what's there and to prevent more. I'm hoping I can get recommendations here based on personal experience. My selection criteria are, in decreasing order of importance: durability, ease of DIY installation, cost, and appearance.

I do care what it looks like. Appearance is last only because I'm guessing they look pretty much the same from 10' away. As I said, I'm not finicky and haven't done anything to my truck to "improve" its appearance.

Thanks for your help.
Have you ever considered using the clear wrap on the front of the hood. I had it factory installed on my last vehicle and it worked great in terms of protecting the paint. It has its pro’s and cons like most products but the pro’s far outweigh any of the cons.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Have you ever considered using the clear wrap on the front of the hood. ...
I have not. It's not that I considered it and rejected it, but that I never even thought about it. I'm not really familiar with the product. Besides which, I'm okay with the appearance of the traditional hood protector and already ordered one for $50.

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
Now that the scratch has been fixed I think I’m going straight to a PPF wrap on the hood. I’d love to do the whole truck but that stuff is $$$$. AVS products look good and are the most cost effective way to protect the leading edge of the hood, but after a short poll of my friends, they all say they’d make fun of me for it haha.

Ford F-150 Hood protector recommendations? IMG_1657

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
... AVS products look good and are the most cost effective way to protect the leading edge of the hood, but after a short poll of my friends, they all say they’d make fun of me for it haha.
I'm old and don't care. ;^)
Sponsored