First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
I've owned my '21 Velocity Blue XLT about 6 months. It's pure stock with two-tone paint, a black grill and some chrome. I'm not too finicky about its appearance but, while washing it yesterday, I noticed more rock chips in the hood than I was aware of before.

I'm contemplating getting a hood protector to conceal what's there and to prevent more. I'm hoping I can get recommendations here based on personal experience. My selection criteria are, in decreasing order of importance: durability, ease of DIY installation, cost, and appearance.

I do care what it looks like. Appearance is last only because I'm guessing they look pretty much the same from 10' away. As I said, I'm not finicky and haven't done anything to my truck to "improve" its appearance.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored

Popplemer

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'87 F250 460 5 Speed, 2023 302A PB 157"
My previous truck had an AVS hood protector the dealer had installed. It was the kind that was tight to the hood and used double sided tape. Here it is next to my new truck without it. Since I didn't install it I can't give you any info there but I liked its look.

Ford F-150 Hood protector recommendations? PXL_20230911_151208713

Ford F-150 Hood protector recommendations? PXL_20230908_215441020

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Is AVS a brand or the material?

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
AVS is the brand and they make a lot of different styles. They also make it in gloss or matte finish.

To the OP. Velocity blue was the color I wanted but 2021 was the last year for it and in 2022 (mine) they went with Atlas blue metalic. VB with black trim looks better and a gloss black AVS hood guard will probably match your grill.

I wish I could get one to protect from those little rock chips but I have the Lariat BAP and that came with the Tremor hood. As of yet no one makes one for the Tremor style hood. :(

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Velocity Blue is more flamboyant than I would have chosen in an order but it has grown on me.

Sponsored

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
I was on the same hunt as you for my Oxford White after seeing several rock chips a few months into ownership. I don't hate the look of the AVS products. I was planning on PPF for the whole hood so it looked clean even though it was the most expensive. Anyway, the other day I had the hood up in the garage and accidentally closed the garage door leaving a large scratch...so it'll have to wait until after I repaint it.

Ford F-150 Hood protector recommendations? tempImagefbSNFl

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I installed an AVS on my truck the day I brought it home. Has 3M tape and close to the hood. I has been doing a great job and still attached solidly.
Ford F-150 Hood protector recommendations? Don's Ride 03

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Looking at RealTruck web page for my truck I see several brands. The difference between some is obvious; for others, not so much. Among those described as "smoke" which, I gather, means glossy, were there differences in finish appearance? The pictures on the web page aren't ideal.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
I have AVS on mine
It's gloss black. Low profile
My only issue, was the lower edge was razor sharp and I cut the manure out of my finger. Bled all over

Ford F-150 Hood protector recommendations? 20220828_152456

Myrnavashaw

First Name
Myrna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat
I've owned my '21 Velocity Blue XLT about 6 months. It's pure stock with two-tone paint, a black grill and some chrome. I'm not too finicky about its appearance but, while washing it yesterday, I noticed more rock chips in the hood than I was aware of before.

I'm contemplating getting a hood protector to conceal what's there and to prevent more. I'm hoping I can get recommendations here based on personal experience. My selection criteria are, in decreasing order of importance: durability, ease of DIY installation, cost, and appearance.

I do care what it looks like. Appearance is last only because I'm guessing they look pretty much the same from 10' away. As I said, I'm not finicky and haven't done anything to my truck to "improve" its appearance.

Thanks for your help.
We did the PPF ours, hood, grill and front bumper. LOTS OF ROCKS ON ROADS IN RURAL ZNH

Sponsored

JFollow

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0 Lariat
I didn’t want anything sticking to the hood with significant enough gaps to trap dirt and potentially ruin paint (AVS stick type out).

I didn’t want anything that required screwing into the bottom of my hood, even if the holes are already there (other AVS types out). If anyone on Florida Central-East coast wants one, I’ll sell a brand new one cheap.

I opted to apply 12” strip of 3M PPF to the front edge of the hood. Cost about $40 on eBay and time watching some YouTube videos to learn.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I have AVS on mine
It's gloss black. Low profile
My only issue, was the lower edge was razor sharp and I cut the manure out of my finger. Bled all over.
Looks good. What model/finish?

Thanks for the heads up on the edges. Is that still an issue with it mounted? Or is the sharp edge concealed? I'll use cut-proof gloves (they're a thing, for working with glass or sheet metal) but am concerned about potential cut after install.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Looks good. What model/finish?

Thanks for the heads up on the edges. Is that still an issue with it mounted? Or is the sharp edge concealed? I'll use cut-proof gloves (they're a thing, for working with glass or sheet metal) but am concerned about potential cut after install.
model? i cant remember, its low profile
i de burred the lower edges , right after i did my best monty python impression

the lower edge was dangerously SHARP
anyway, its adhered with the VHB tape and has drain areas and is easy to rinse the small gap

i had ones that bolted under the hood and decided to try this one.
its been taking a beating from small rocks
Sponsored