Sponsored

The oil filter - hard to access

Tobstertx3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
That's one of the better features of FordPass!
It allows you to upload image files of the receipts and even makes the entire service history of the truck down-loadable for the next owner.
Really cool that Ford has "self service" as an available choice in the drop down list.
Here's how it looks in FordPass:

Screenshot_20220912_192308.jpg

And how it looks in the cloud when you login with your Ford credentials

Screenshot_20220912_192250.jpg
I was not aware of this and as I’m changing my oil myself now, it is great to be able to add this info. Thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
My pleasure.
My uploaded receipts are images of the actual receipt and the odometer. I figure that should hold up in a dispute? :)

Ford F-150 The oil filter - hard to access 20220606_184901 1

It's pretty cool that the evidence is hosted in Ford's cloud.

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
Ford takes a lot of heat on this site, mostly warranted, but they evolved quite a bit in the last 10 years. This is one example.

Badhabit

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 SCrew 4x4 5.0 302A
I gave this message a 'Like', I would give you two if I could.
Can't agree with this statement more - "can afford the extra $25": people spend north of sixty thousand dollars on a truck and additional few thousands on "upgrades" but will chose to swim in a pool of oil just to say they change their own oil. I'll never understand that.
To add another reason other than to save "the extra $25"...... time and convenience. It's much more convenient to spend 15 minutes in my garage than it is for me and my wife to both drive 15 minutes to the dealer, drop the vehicle off, drive 15 minutes back home, and then drive back 3-5 hours later when they call. You could just wait for them to finish it but it's always 1.5-2 hours minimum.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
To add another reason other than to save "the extra $25"...... time and convenience. It's much more convenient to spend 15 minutes in my garage than it is for me and my wife to both drive 15 minutes to the dealer, drop the vehicle off, drive 15 minutes back home, and then drive back 3-5 hours later when they call. You could just wait for them to finish it but it's always 1.5-2 hours minimum.
I agree on that.
Don't get me wrong - I would have no problem change my own oil if the truck had a better filter location design and there were no obstructions for the oil to drain forcing me to spend time after that to clean up.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
...a better filter location design and there were no obstructions for the oil to drain forcing me to spend time after that to clean up.
When I was researching the 5.0, I ran across someone on the other forum that had shown how to cut up a water jug so that the oil wouldn’t splooge all over the crossmember when you took the plastic oil drain plug out of the plastic oil pan.

Can’t seem to find it now but you get the idea:

Ford F-150 The oil filter - hard to access 058B8F09-6C72-4A01-AE6F-001F60EC8800
Ford F-150 The oil filter - hard to access A2E3D7C8-B273-42B7-8CA8-40B22AFF203A

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that the HDPP gets a proper steel pan and drain plug in a more convenient location.

I didn’t worry too much about the filter, since I changed the oil in the street and the geniuses in my city changed from concrete to asphalt years ago and a few drips of hot engine oil is like moisturizing cream to the cracked ugly black tar and Ford’s barely painted frame can use the extra rust proofing.

It’s too bad the oil doesn’t drain onto the rear axle...

Dave541

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Driver
Does anyone use oil filters that are not Motorcraft? Just curious, because most guys have oil brands they prefer. Thanks.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have used an Amsoil filter a couple of times on an Ecoboost, and it appeared to have as good an anti-drain back flap as the Motorcraft. But usually I use Motorcraft because they are easy to acquire and the anti-drain back on them is reported as good.
I believe Purolator currently makes the Motorcraft. So....... There's that. :)

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Fumoto valve.
No mess at all.

Admittedly I have a large catch pan for the oil filter removal so I have both potential flow paths covered. :)
Fumoto with the nipple so you can add a hose and the Valvomax set up is another option if Fumoto is not your thing.

Oil filter drippage may be the only issue you have to clean up.

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Fumoto with the nipple so you can add a hose and the Valvomax set up is another option if Fumoto is not your thing.

Oil filter drippage may be the only issue you have to clean up.
I have always used Valvomax-like valves but the one I have for the PB drains very slow. I am going to give the fumoto a try. I have always hesitated getting a fumoto given how easy it is to open. I know it has a locking “thing” but I will add a zip tie for insurance.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I have always used Valvomax-like valves but the one I have for the PB drains very slow. I am going to give the fumoto a try. I have always hesitated getting a fumoto given how easy it is to open. I know it has a locking “thing” but I will add a zip tie for insurance.
In one of the Valvomax vids I saw the guy said to make sure you open the oil filler opening on the top of the engine. That allows air to get in so it drains faster.

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
That is correct and something I do. You could also pull the dip stick out a little.
Sponsored

Last edited: