Best Oil and oil filter for 5.0?

HeadBanger

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0
I've had a Roush Mustang and several Corvettes since the mid 90's. Most of the driving was short trips with all of them as they were 'Sunday drivers'. Never had a problem. I even had the oil analyzed a couple of times and it always came back within the normal operating specs. Personally, I don't believe your friend and will continue to use synthetic in the same manner as yourself.
You're going to find all type of opinions on this topic. I say, find what works best for you and stick to it.
Sponsored

Yotemax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 5.0 f150, 09 honda element sc, 92 nissan 240sx
Occupation
Wind turbine tech
Penzoil ultra platinum and purilator boss!

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
As long as the motor oil meets the new SAE standard it will be fine. Motor oils were reformulated and extensively tested by the auto manufacturers for the new 2017 engines that were designed to use a lower weight motor oil. Some cars can use a synthetic blend and others need 100% synthetic.
For gas engines they are all fine.

For diesel engines the Pennzoil and Valvoline Blue and Red Line are the best and Amsoil is the worst one can use as it has a very poor additive mix.

Oil filters as with air filters and fuel filters provide the least amount of filtration when they are new and before there is any loading of the filter media. Changing them out more frequently is therefore not a good idea.

Ronin1973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XL STX SuperCrew 4x4 5.0 Avalanche
Motorcraft oil filter and Quaker State Full Synthetic. Cannot beat the price and quality of this combo.

Sponsored

nrmedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost 302A; 2023 Tacoma TRD Pro
Motorcraft oil filter and Quaker State Full Synthetic. Cannot beat the price and quality of this combo.
Just did this today. Got tired of Mobil 1 prices... Doing 4k intervals, short of running water, I should be fine.

Uncle_Booty

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 302A SCrew 5.0 157" 4x4
Occupation
Commercial Truck Leasing
A lot of opinions out there... so I'll throw in my 0.02 here. I have a Mustang 5.0L motor head friend who does a lot of engine tear downs and upgrades. He swears that short trips and synthetic oil are the devil. That unless you drive long enough to get the syn oil good and hot that after shutdown/cool down the syn oil will crystalize/varnish/coat engine components like cams, lifters, rollers, underside of rings, etc. that builds up over time. The internet is full of documented cases of this condition. He adds what's worse is the synthetic oil says <extended oil changes>, don't do that either in the newer coyotes.

Me, I use MC 5w-30 syn blend and the MC FL500s filter. I change my oil every 5000 miles.

What do we believe?
I haven't received mine yet (but soon)..

What's the oil capacity in the '22/'23 5.0L?

Ronin1973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XL STX SuperCrew 4x4 5.0 Avalanche
Just did this today. Got tired of Mobil 1 prices... Doing 4k intervals, short of running water, I should be fine.
! run it to when the OLM tells me, which is usually around 9,500 miles. Does fantatsic.

Tall Tail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SuperCrew XLT 302A 4x4 5.0L 3.31
If I were to use a full synthetic oil like Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30 (20766 ) and a filter like FRAM Ultra Synthetic Automotive Replacement Oil Filter (XG10575), which both claim to have a service life of 20,000 miles, would it be safe to extend my service interval passed the 7,500 miles in the manual?

Would this cause any warranty issues?

https://www.fram.com/oil-filter-xg10575
https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...s/products/mobil-1-extended-performance-5w-30

Last edited:

Sponsored

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
If I were to use a full synthetic oil like Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30 and a filter like FRAM Ultra Synthetic Automotive Replacement Oil Filter (XG10575), which both claim to have a service life of 20,000 miles, would it be safe to extend my service interval passed the 7,500 miles in the manual?

Would this cause any warranty issues?
I wouldn't recommend it. Stick to the manufacturers suggested service interval to avoid possible engine warranty issues.

Last edited:

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 and I bought a case of the Motorcraft FL-500 filters off of Amazon.

Project Farm did a pretty comprehensive bake-off a year or two back. Amsoil Signature was #1, Pennzoil ULTRA was #2. He also did a follow-up on the various grades of PZ and surprisingly the standard Platinum did not score as well as their "full synth" grade which was cheaper.

With that said, I ran Mobil One EP in my Hondas for the past 30 years and never had a leak nor burned a drop of oil over about 1MM miles combined. Surprisingly, M1 did not stack up that well against the leaders in his bake-off.

But I'm well aware that this is overkill. If you change your oil every 4k with the least expensive dino sludge that WalMart sells, you would still be fine. It's all about not pushing the oil past its additive package.

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Based on oil analysis to include ash content, I'm looking at extending oil change intervals out to 12,000 miles. I use AmsOil, along with a Canton Racing Products 8µ filter.

TJSparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT (302A) 5.0L RockyRidge K2
I’ve always been a Mobil One guy for decades but tried the Valvoline Extended Performance full synthetic 5w30 and couldn’t believe how much quieter the motor became. A few times I thought maybe the auto start/stop was enabled. I still use the Motorcraft filter and change every 5k miles, but I am really impressed with the Valvoline.

Ford mechanic sent virgin oil samples to black stone for analysis including Valvoline and Castrol and Mobil one.

Sponsored