The oil filter - hard to access

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Glad you were successful. For me, the closest oil change is 20 minutes away, plus I would have to sit there for who knows how long, while they put who knows what oil and filter in there. Quicker to do it myself, I know it's done right, and I don't have to sit in some skanky waiting room.
Btw I have used Lisle 50750 oil filter pliers forever. I never seem to dig through my collection of filter sockets to find the right one, just grab with the pliers and twist.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Nothing is easier than changing the filter on our Outback. Wish every engine had the filter on top.
At least it has a real filter and not one of the cartridges but I am one of the weirdos that likes to fill the downward and diagonally oriented filters halfway up with the new oil; even though I know it really doesn’t make much of a difference.

I gave this message a 'Like', I would give you two if I could.
Can't agree with this statement more - "can afford the extra $25": people spend north of sixty thousand dollars on a truck and additional few thousands on "upgrades" but will chose to swim in a pool of oil just to say they change their own oil. I'll never understand that.
I do as much as I can on my own vehicles because I have experienced firsthand as well as seen and heard the horror stories that resulted from a simple oil change.

Ford F-150 The oil filter - hard to access AE4AB690-E4E8-4613-B748-35A04C47D2C5
Ford F-150 The oil filter - hard to access 2E92D14C-9C77-46C5-8ACD-4B51BAEB2D11

But God forbid something more serious happens with the truck and it needs service...
The dudes that are doing the oil changes are generally not the guys/gals that are doing the serious issues and more elaborate services.

However; it’s also sometimes the old hand that falls from the rigging and seasoned career mechanics on slow days do some incredibly stupid things like complete an oil change and park the vehicle but forgot the part where you put the new oil in, or overfill the oil because they drained the transmission pan instead o_O

Also, it’s always important to make sure after a tire rotation or other service where they touched the wheels to make sure that they either didn’t tighten the bejesus out of it, or left them finger tight.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...nuts-not-guaranteed-tire-rotation/4101005002/

9mm vs. .45
10mm! :p

Sponsored

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum, 2013 Mustang
The Lisle 61570 76mm 14-Flute End Cap Wrench fits like a glove. 9 bucks on Amazon.
Thanks for posting this. I went there and found so many obscure tools that I never heard of. Lisle is a pretty creative company.

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
Changing the oil myself on my vehicles is the last thing I want to do. I can afford the extra $25 to have it done at a quick lube place and they are going to collect the used oil for recycling. It costs me to collect and store the used motor oil and then make a special trip to a collection location.

I change the oil on my standby generator and my pressure washer and that is enough.

My diesel pickup needed oil changes more often and used twice as much motor oil. I had it changed at the local Ram dealer where I could get the superior Valvoline Blue diesel motor oil.
I hear you. It’s an interesting question. As time goes on there is less and less on the list of things you can do. Adjust valves, replace shocks, install new radiator… no not doing those anymore unless really motivated. Spark plugs well so much to remove- ditto. Last time I changed my oil on the 21 PB I went to the quick lube first 2 hour wait. Sit around in a waiting room for 2 hours. No thanks I had the stuff and just did it fast. At least it’s on the list of things I can still do.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I prefer to do my own oil changes, but I have the dealership do it as long as my vehicle still has a warranty. This way, if something happens, there is a very precise documented record of all work being done. With that said, my Volvo dealer bought me a new engine for my 2017 Volvo S60 Polestar because the "mechanic" failed to snug the oil filter down and 110 miles from home, at 70 miles an hour in HEAVY traffic, my oil light came on as the filter fell off and all oil came out. I had gotten the oil change right before I headed up to get my daughter from college. The dealer up near Toledo found the filter wrench from the "mechanic" with his initials etched...still in my engine bay.

Needless to say, I wasn't very happy.

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
I prefer to do my own oil changes, but I have the dealership do it as long as my vehicle still has a warranty. This way, if something happens, there is a very precise documented record of all work being done. With that said, my Volvo dealer bought me a new engine for my 2017 Volvo S60 Polestar because the "mechanic" failed to snug the oil filter down and 110 miles from home, at 70 miles an hour in HEAVY traffic, my oil light came on as the filter fell off and all oil came out. I had gotten the oil change right before I headed up to get my daughter from college. The dealer up near Toledo found the filter wrench from the "mechanic" with his initials etched...still in my engine bay.

Needless to say, I wasn't very happy.
Well that’s about the worst experience one could have after an oil change! With regard to records the Ford Pass app now has this service record section where you enter work done and location self service etc and upload receipts pictures. It’s pretty slick and now if I go to the dealer for a recall the service manager sees it all and comments on all the oil changes etc.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Well that’s about the worst experience one could have after an oil change! With regard to records the Ford Pass app now has this service record section where you enter work done and location self service etc and upload receipts pictures. It’s pretty slick and now if I go to the dealer for a recall the service manager sees it all and comments on all the oil changes etc.
I will be using that for sure if I laps on my oil changes. I actually like doing maintenance on my own vehicles. (Un) fortunately, my dealership has a "forever" warranty on engine / transmission if I bring the truck in every 5000 miles or 6 months. I don't want to be late on that or jeopardize that in the least.

Sponsored

boo radley

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 F150 1992 F150, 1999 F150, 2004 F150, 2013 F150
Another reason I love the baby Powerstroke Diesel engine! The oil filter housing is right on top of the engine under the removable cover that pops off.

88676C6E-61AE-4D06-82A3-A5F7B9A190D9.jpeg
How is your fuel mileage?

If I could have found a 21 Supercab with the PS 3.0 I was ready to buy.

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
How is your fuel mileage?

If I could have found a 21 Supercab with the PS 3.0 I was ready to buy.
I get a steady 23 mpg with a mix of city and freeway driving and I'm always heavy on the throttle. I had to order my truck because their were none available anywhere.

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I finally got the filter off. I used one of those ”triangular claws”. Came right off. This time I only gave the filter a half turn instead of 3/4. I also ordered the cap as recommended by others.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
That's one of the better features of FordPass!
It allows you to upload image files of the receipts and even makes the entire service history of the truck down-loadable for the next owner.
Really cool that Ford has "self service" as an available choice in the drop down list.
Here's how it looks in FordPass:

Ford F-150 The oil filter - hard to access Screenshot_20220912_192308

And how it looks in the cloud when you login with your Ford credentials

Ford F-150 The oil filter - hard to access Screenshot_20220912_192250
Sponsored