Best Oil and oil filter for 5.0?

nezff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 5.0 Space White
Occupation
Firefighter
Ive always used the Motorcraft oil filter and Penzoil Platinum Premium full synthetic 5w30 on my 2013, but wanted to get some answers as to what you guys like. thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT sport CCSB 5.0
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
Motorcraft filter and full synthetic 5w-30 Don’t really have a preference when it comes to oil as long as it’s a well known brand and full syn

NH_Leadfoot

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
.GOV
I've been running Amsoil 5w30 Signature Series with their filter (EA017) since my first change @ 3K miles. It's all preference, but I've been running various Amsoil stuff for the last 15 years in every motorized thing I own with great results.

jeffrt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 5.0L
Been running OEM filters and full synthetic in my vehicles for years. Usually Mobil 1, but have changed it up a bit the last couple years (Pennzoil or Valvoline) depending on sales.

Sponsored

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Dealer stuff. When I start doing my own it will be whatever deal I get from the job. I like Castrol Syntec and Valvoline VR1

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Any oil be it conventional or synthetic rated for API SN Plus Resource Conserving will be fine provided it's changed regularly.

As for filters Wix XP is my go to for those. They are far and above better quality than most of the other brands on the market.

Title is a little click-bait but he does a good teardown and comparison.

OP
OP
nezff

nezff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
That's great info guys. Ty
I was mainly second guessing myself on oil filters mainly from seeing some of you doing other brands etc.

I was using the Motorcraft with anti siphon filter on my 13 ecoboost.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I prefer AmsOil. Typically I use 0W-30. I use a Canton Racing Products 8µ filter. That is far better than any typical filter. Those are likely 30-50µ.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HeadBanger

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0
I think Pennsoil synthetic is the only one made with natural gas. Not sure what that means, but wanted to point it out.
I have used that, Mobil 1, and Royal Purple in previous cars and trucks. Haven't had to change the oil yet in this truck, however I'll probably go with Pennsoil, with a Motorcraft filter.

OP
OP
nezff

nezff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
I think Pennsoil synthetic is the only one made with natural gas. Not sure what that means, but wanted to point it out.
I have used that, Mobil 1, and Royal Purple in previous cars and trucks. Haven't had to change the oil yet in this truck, however I'll probably go with Pennsoil, with a Motorcraft filter.
Pennzoil's full synthetic motor oil, unlike other synthetic motor oil, is created with natural gas as a starting material, which has fewer impurities than base oil derived from crude.

OP
OP
nezff

nezff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
Is this the correct one for the 22 5.0? I used this same one on my last truck.

Motorcraft filter

Ford F-150 Best Oil and oil filter for 5.0? 510OpjhTezL._AC_SX679_

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150
Occupation
Cooking burgers and hotdogs is not BBQing, it's grilling! Thx, All of Texas!
A lot of opinions out there... so I'll throw in my 0.02 here. I have a Mustang 5.0L motor head friend who does a lot of engine tear downs and upgrades. He swears that short trips and synthetic oil are the devil. That unless you drive long enough to get the syn oil good and hot that after shutdown/cool down the syn oil will crystalize/varnish/coat engine components like cams, lifters, rollers, underside of rings, etc. that builds up over time. The internet is full of documented cases of this condition. He adds what's worse is the synthetic oil says <extended oil changes>, don't do that either in the newer coyotes.

Me, I use MC 5w-30 syn blend and the MC FL500s filter. I change my oil every 5000 miles.

What do we believe?
Sponsored

Last edited: