First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PowerBoost FX 4
Occupation
Retired
I tried two big name auto parts stores to get the correct oil filter wrench/tool to remove my 3.5L FL-500-S Motorcraft oil filter and both came up short. One of the tools they had in stock had 14 or 15 flutes that fit, but I wasn't convinced that it wouldn't slip. So after a quick internet search I did find a Lisle 61650 76mm end cap Filter Wrench. This tool has 30 flutes and fits the FL-500-S perfectly. I purchased it from K-MansParts.com who had it in stock and I received it in AZ in about 4 days. I didn't like having to pay for the shipping, but I already wasted enough gas driving around trying to find one. The other thing that is nice about it is that the 3/8" sq ratchet insert is plenty deep to get an extension or any 3/8" sq tool without bottoming out against the filter.

Ford F-150 The correct 3.5L FL-500-S Oil Filter tool Oil Filter Tool
Sponsored

stangsandatruck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Software Engineer
My Coyote powered mustang also takes the 500-S filter. I have found that in the last year, some of the Ford filters have changed. Last week I got a 500-S filter that had the 15 flute design. This is the first time I have seen this on this filter.

My current Escape takes the 910-S and until an oil change in March also have the 30 flute design. The last 2 oil changes also took the lower flute number. I usually get my filters from either my dealer or Wal-Mart and they are legit Motorcraft filters.

They may be changing suppliers - so take note that there may be 2 designs floating around for some time.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
The "universal" one I had didn't work for me with the limited access on the Powerboost. I ordered this set from Harbor Freight and the 76mm/14 Flute fits the FL-500S filter.
Sponsored