show us your PowerBoost suspension mods

ConiferEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, Powerboost Hybrid
I’m on my 3rd iteration for my ‘21 PB suspension setup and currently ordering my 4th suspension to fix the current issues. For reference I daily drive my truck but tow trailers of carrying weights a few times per month and have a slide in overland camper that causes serious squat issues. I originally started with the timbren suspension system. Essentially larger bump stops that allow for some articulation of the suspension but stops it early from bottoming out. This worked great if I had the camper on but unloaded it felt like I was getting kidney punched. I then changed to the airlift 5000 ultimate. Once again, nice while loaded but still felt like my truck was punching me in the back even with small imperfections on the road surface. Recently changed to the airlift 5000 (without internal bumper). This setup has more articulation with the factory suspension before bottoming out, so a little more comfortable but because it mounts to the axel and not the suspension/springs it buttons out hard. Even small bumps in the road suck. Adding more air just makes the suspension more stiff or sticks the rear even higher in the air. I’m not happy with the unloaded performance.

I’m currently purchases the readylift Readyair helper springs. These attach over the stock suspension and allow for full travel without acting as a large bump stop. I’m hoping to have it installed in the next couple of weeks, and hoping it fixes the unloaded rough ride I’ve been running into.
I'm surprised at your experience with the airlift 5000's. I have the 5000's on my powerboost (157"wb, heavy tow package) along with fox 2.0 shocks. I keep the airbags at 15psi and go up from there based on towing and/or payload. The ride of the truck is much smoother on both highway, city, on gravel roads (daily) and on forest service roads.

Did you change out the factory shocks when you added the additional spring?
Sponsored

Popplemer

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'87 F250 460 5 Speed, 2023 302A PB 157"
I'm surprised at your experience with the airlift 5000's. I have the 5000's on my powerboost (157"wb, heavy tow package) along with fox 2.0 shocks. I keep the airbags at 15psi and go up from there based on towing and/or payload. The ride of the truck is much smoother on both highway, city, on gravel roads (daily) and on forest service roads.

For those like me not in the know...what did you change your shocks to?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE

single or dual channel? I suspect those running both bags with a T fitting are getting reverse sway bar action in that when one bag is compressed, it inflates the other doing the inverse of what a sway bar does. Not only exacerbating leans, but also being a potential vector for uneven / bumpy road oscillations.
A few models back toyota put a similar system into 4 runners that connected cattycorner shocks to each other but for traction purposes to keep the rear tires on the ground in heavy cornering. The FL was connected to the RR, and the FR to the RL. This kept the rear tire opposite of the diving front wheel on the pavement to maintain stability in heavy cornering. Do this across the same axle ala T fitting is nothing more than a means of exacerbating corner lean.

tn.lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Screw Powerboost 501a
Occupation
retail
I had Bilstein 6112's Front adjustable shocks P/N 47-323841 and Rear 5160 P/N 25-261400 installed on my truck a few months ago. They ride slightly rougher but more composed then OEM shocks. The OEM's leaned more in corners and wondered a little while going the Fwy. These shocks are an upgrade to the 5100's that I had on my 2017 and will do a better job off road. I had the front set at 2.5" which leveled out the truck. Hope this helps.
Ford F-150 show us your PowerBoost suspension mods Resized_20230711_082328
Ford F-150 show us your PowerBoost suspension mods Resized_20230711_082335

Last edited:

ConiferEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, Powerboost Hybrid
single or dual channel? I suspect those running both bags with a T fitting are getting reverse sway bar action in that when one bag is compressed, it inflates the other doing the inverse of what a sway bar does. Not only exacerbating leans, but also being a potential vector for uneven / bumpy road oscillations.
A few models back toyota put a similar system into 4 runners that connected cattycorner shocks to each other but for traction purposes to keep the rear tires on the ground in heavy cornering. The FL was connected to the RR, and the FR to the RL. This kept the rear tire opposite of the diving front wheel on the pavement to maintain stability in heavy cornering. Do this across the same axle ala T fitting is nothing more than a means of exacerbating corner lean.
Good thought. I'm running the airbags on a dual channel setup, so each bags air pressure is controlled independently. I think you're right, a setup with the two channels connected would cause an amplified roll.

Sponsored

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA

I have the CCD suspension, maybe it doesn’t play well with the reduced travel of the rear axel.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I haven’t gone over payload or GVWR while towing, plus I enjoy the MPG and use the mobile generator almost every weekend. If they made a diesel with the hybrid/mobile generator ability I would have gone that direction, but for now the little powerboost that could does.

Popplemer

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'87 F250 460 5 Speed, 2023 302A PB 157"
I haven’t gone over payload or GVWR while towing, plus I enjoy the MPG and use the mobile generator almost every weekend. If they made a diesel with the hybrid/mobile generator ability I would have gone that direction, but for now the little powerboost that could does.
If ford even put the hybrid onto the 7.3 or 6.7 they couldn't even build them fast enough... Nor could I buy one fast enough...

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I have the CCD suspension, maybe it doesn’t play well with the reduced travel of the rear axel.
oof, that explains a lot then. That thing is tuned to work as is. Might try disconnecting the VDM and see how it goes, might need to forscan a module or two to avoid MILs.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
What engine did you go with in your Supercab XLT?

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I have the Fox 2.0 setup and a Hellwig rear anti-sway bar. I'm really on the fence about the air bags, and am closely following this thread because I don't want $600 of stuff that makes my truck ride worse. I'm also wary of the/my tendency to "do all of the things" because they are options, not because they measurably add to a defined goal. If my current suspension setup and WDH prevent squat adequately, then what is my benefit from adding more stuff to the truck? Phrased another way, should I just spend more time learning to adjust my Equalizer than buying and installing air bags?

Last edited:

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Phrased another way, should I just spend more time learning to adjust my Equalizer than buying and installing air bags?
I like your thinking. Unless it improves my ride experience or I'm constantly changing my payload, what good is air suspension for me? I shouldn't be so overloaded that my WD/AS hitch can't remove the squat safely.