• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pricing of cars/trucks going to collapse?

EvEddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Ligthning
Gone are the days of dealers with 500 cars in stock. Ordering will become the normal. Ford also make more per unit at MSRP so will not introduce heavy discounts again. Secondhand market will not drop because too many current buyers would be upside down so won't sell not to mention stagflation is likely to kick in.
Sponsored

Lavaorange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata, Lightning Lariat
5) The ridiculously high demand for EV trucks will plummet. The cost is too high and they simply don’t make sense to use as a truck because the range will take huge hits when hauling or loaded. Add to that the huge batteries and how long they take to charge. Sorry lightening buyers!
I don't see this at all. Quite the opposite. Demand for pickups is generally very substantial and growing. The majority of (non-fleet) owners rarely, if ever tow anything or throw much work related items in the bed. Young and middle aged North American men (primarily) want trucks because its a truck.

Regarding pricing. I'm not sure about the USA, but your King Ranch PB built to the almost same spec as a Lightning 511A package (ER & extra incl goodies & tech) has a MSRP $89K CAD compared to the Lariat Lightening 511A at MSRP $100K CAD (less any available rebates.) Gas is pushing $6/gallon where I live so on a monthly payment the gas pushes the ICE KR over the lightening lickety split. As far as long charging times go, I sleep 5-8 hours per night during which any EV can charge plenty more than I'll drive the next day.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Demand for EV trucks *will* go down only because right now there is essentially zero supply and demand is sky high but demand for EV trucks will outstrip supply for a long time to come. I would say *at least* 5 years. It will probably be 2025-2026 before you can even get one without a reservation.

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
I have multiple quotes for a Lariat powerboost over $10K under MSRP sitting in my inbox right now. Anyone paying MSRP is just a chump and the dealers are killing it.
I agree that it is very likely that dealers are loving all this, but I'm amazed you have anything under MSRP right now. In Northern Utah, it's hard to even find one anywhere, and a lot of them are listed for way over MSRP. They are selling very fast, so I don't see why a dealer (here at least), would ever sell for below MSRP. Why do that when the demand is so high?

So multiple quotes on a Lariat for $10k under MSRP??? For trucks sitting on the lot? Are they all hail damaged?

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I agree that it is very likely that dealers are loving all this, but I'm amazed you have anything under MSRP right now. In Northern Utah, it's hard to even find one anywhere, and a lot of them are listed for way over MSRP. They are selling very fast, so I don't see why a dealer (here at least), would ever sell for below MSRP. Why do that when the demand is so high?

So multiple quotes on a Lariat for $10k under MSRP??? For trucks sitting on the lot? Are they all hail damaged?
No - orders.

There are multiple dealers on this forum offering these deals.

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I have multiple quotes for a Lariat powerboost over $10K under MSRP sitting in my inbox right now. Anyone paying MSRP is just a chump and the dealers are killing it.

I am trading in my 21 F150 Lariat PB HEV for this F150L. By the time I get it, assuming I am in the second wave, I would have only had it for 7 months. However, in my market and area, trucks are hard to find and if you do find them, they are very basic. I picked this one up for 3K above sticker cause I needed on right away and just sold our Explorer. It was only on the lot for maybe 5 days before I spotted it.

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
No - orders.

There are multiple dealers on this forum offering these deals.
Interesting. I guess I don't understand why a dealer would do that on an order that will take 4-6 months to be fulfilled. What's in it for them at this point to help you order a PB at 10K under MSRP? If the dealer ordered one and put it on their lot, it would sell for MSRP or more within a week.

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting. I guess I don't understand why a dealer would do that on an order that will take 4-6 months to be fulfilled. What's in it for them at this point to help you order a PB at 10K under MSRP? If the dealer ordered one and put it on their lot, it would sell for MSRP or more within a week.
Customer orders are prioritized over dealer stock orders - given the volume of orders, most dealer stock orders aren't even being fulfilled, so most orders are customer orders.

The folks offering these deals are playing the volume game. They have holdback, larger volumes means larger allocations, and other incentives that we don't see. Yes the margins are small but when the volume is high - they can make more than small volume with huge profits.

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
Customer orders are prioritized over dealer stock orders - given the volume of orders, most dealer stock orders aren't even being fulfilled, so most orders are customer orders.

The folks offering these deals are playing the volume game. They have holdback, larger volumes means larger allocations, and other incentives that we don't see. Yes the margins are small but when the volume is high - they can make more than small volume with huge profits.
And do they require you to accept their dealer preferred financing and trade in a vehicle to get the price?

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Most States won't allow that dealer financing scam but a local one tried that on me. Said I had to keep it for 3 months but opps, I refinanced it. creeps.

F150SWPlat

First Name
Aleksandr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum 2021-2022
Occupation
IT
I have multiple quotes for a Lariat powerboost over $10K under MSRP sitting in my inbox right now.

I don't believe you. I doubt you have a single 10K under MSRP quote provided to you on the powerboost truck on a dealer’s lot. Anyone can come here and brag about how they are so much smarter then the rest of the market.

sysop

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 Lariat 145 - 2022 F150 Lariat 157
Occupation
worker bee
I’m beginning to wonder whether we will see collapsing vehicle prices within a year…at least a real possibility.

Some things to consider:

- Foxconn (world’s largest manufacturer and maker of iphone) plans to manufacture EV skateboards
- Skateboards will become interchangeable, almost like the old electric race car toys
- Chinese are ramping up EV production in a big way, take a look at this link:
https://companiesmarketcap.com/automakers/largest-automakers-by-market-cap/
- Pent up demand will eventually wane, and discounts return
- Manufacturing plants (cars & batteries) are all coming online around the same time
- It will be harder to justify paying extra for brand (look at VW and Audi, ID4 vs. Q4)
- Trucks have become overpriced and most people don’t regularly haul things, with energy prices going up they will become harder to justify (gas or electric). Example: I can buy a decent Mercedes or BMW for the same price as a Lariat.

I think this will happen and it is only a matter of timing. Thoughts?
The dollar is in the process of collapse. You will never buy a vehicle for less dollars than you can today.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Talk to me. :)

I don't WANT to be a chump!
(got one ordered with MSRP of $77k. I'll pull it immediately if I can beat Xplan)

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't believe you. I doubt you have a single 10K under MSRP quote provided to you on the powerboost truck on a dealer’s lot. Anyone can come here and brag about how they are so much smarter then the rest of the market.
Ford F-150 Lightning Pricing of cars/trucks going to collapse? 1642806847403

*doesn't include incentives of $2.5K PCO and $1K custom order public incentive. that's $12K off the truck before taxes and fees and stuff.

and no it's not on the lot - its an order - but I never said it was on the lot you put those words in my mouth.
Sponsored