First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
ER Nurse
I've now owned my 2021 F150 for over a month and haven't been able to get past the first tune revision. I paid for an SCT X4 with warranty and custom tunes through 5 Star. Out of the box, I had a bad ECU cable and OBD cable. After almost 2 weeks of troubleshooting with 5star and SCT, I ended up getting my tuner back from SCT with a new OBD and ECU cable and was able to load my first 5star tune. Was "ok" with the power, but the shifting has been pretty horrible. Then it comes to datalogging. I've been unable to log any DMR values at all, keeps saying they failed to validate. I had this same issue years ago with my BDX tuner on my 2014 Ecoboost and after weeks and weeks of going back and forth with SCT and MPT, SCT eventually sent out a device update that fixed the issue. But anyway, after one successful datalog (without DMRs), now every single time I try to datalog, I am getting an error that says ""No incoming data detected from device!!" I've wasted countless hours uninstalling livelink and drivers, reinstalling, validating all parameters, uploading configs, and I'm just f**king done. Im so over it. It should not be this difficult to datalog and tune a vehicle.

So what else is out there and what do you recommend?
- JB4?
- Livernois?
- Cobb Accessport?
- HP Tuners?

Somebody please point me in a direction that I can finally enjoy my damn truck..... /endrant
Ford F-150 At wits end with SCT, looking for suggestions 356792722_722266196368219_3175171883074073090_n
Ford F-150 At wits end with SCT, looking for suggestions 356781756_570271248512798_843198839218234486_n
Sponsored

robry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 5.0
Man I'm sorry you're having such difficulty with the SCT stuff. I replied to your post, my ECU cable failed out of the box and they had to send me another one. While the SCT tune definitely made a difference I don't think it was huge power. I'm beta testing another tuning platform with 5 star on my 5.0 that I can talk more about soon. However completely different experience.

Have you spoken with SCT support directly? They might be able to shed some light on the data logging issues.

OP
OP
Codycat91

Codycat91

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
ER Nurse
Man I'm sorry you're having such difficulty with the SCT stuff. I replied to your post, my ECU cable failed out of the box and they had to send me another one. While the SCT tune definitely made a difference I don't think it was huge power. I'm beta testing another tuning platform with 5 star on my 5.0 that I can talk more about soon. However completely different experience.

Have you spoken with SCT support directly? They might be able to shed some light on the data logging issues.
Yep been going back and forth for a week with them

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
I would find someone that remote tunes through hptuners. And I mean mpvi hptuners unit so you have full access to making future changes in vcm editor.

Last edited:

93dpscoupe

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
01 GMC 1500, 93 Mustang LX SSP
Occupation
Product Marketing
I used to be 100% SCT. I havent touched their platform since 2018. Started using HPT in 2015 and havent looked back.

Sponsored

Bullitt1841

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Tremor
I've been running SCT, Diablosport, countless BMW and Audi flash platforms, and finally JB4's since 2008. If you're like me and like to tinker, datalog, and hate poor customer service and/or arrogance from tuners that think you're the problem (and it can't possibly be them or their tune), you'll be so happy dealing with Burger Motorsports and the JB4.

Terry Burger is the most humble, hardest working tuner I've ever worked with, which is why they are the #1 tuning platform in the world. The rest of their support staff and user forum are also second to none. I'm on my 5th JB4 platform.

Right now I'm running a JB4 together with an SCT X4 with custom flash files from 5 Star. I am completely unimpressed with the AFR and boost control from 5 Star. So I mostly do everything on my own with the JB4. The flash is only there for extra fueling with ethanol mixtures, transmission shifting, and higher launch RPM. 2022 EcoBoost Tremor.

I gave up on 5 Star's tune revisions because it was a waste of my time. Right now I'm just riding it out until something better is available to stack with the JB4. If I were to start over I would just do a JB4.

Gooner5643

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat 5.0, e92 m3 6mt
I’d recommend HP tuners mpvi3. Downside is you need to send your ecu out to get unlocked.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Codycat91

Codycat91

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
ER Nurse
I've been running SCT, Diablosport, countless BMW and Audi flash platforms, and finally JB4's since 2008. If you're like me and like to tinker, datalog, and hate poor customer service and/or arrogance from tuners that think you're the problem (and it can't possibly be them or their tune), you'll be so happy dealing with Burger Motorsports and the JB4.

Terry Burger is the most humble, hardest working tuner I've ever worked with, which is why they are the #1 tuning platform in the world. The rest of their support staff and user forum are also second to none. I'm on my 5th JB4 platform.

Right now I'm running a JB4 together with an SCT X4 with custom flash files from 5 Star. I am completely unimpressed with the AFR and boost control from 5 Star. So I mostly do everything on my own with the JB4. The flash is only there for extra fueling with ethanol mixtures, transmission shifting, and higher launch RPM. 2022 EcoBoost Tremor.

I gave up on 5 Star's tune revisions because it was a waste of my time. Right now I'm just riding it out until something better is available to stack with the JB4. If I were to start over I would just do a JB4.
If I could flash only the TCM tune from Cobb, I would absolutely stack with a jb4. But I think the only tunes that adjust the TCM are also a staged tune from Cobb
I’d recommend HP tuners mpvi3. Downside is you need to send your ecu out to get unlocked.
I mean I had to send my ECU to cobb too. Not really a big deal, total downtime was only 3 days. Seems to be the better route in the long run with the benefit being you can now flash through the obd port instead of having a bunch of contraptions under the hood and having to unplug the ECU everytime.
Sponsored