Powerboost Cavitating Noise on Cold Start

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Just received my 2022 Powerboost back from the Ford dealer. They said the vehicle needed a software update. My truck sounded just like yours but only after the cold weather arrived.
Reference on work order to Service Bulletin (TSB) # 22-2483. They performed a PCM (Powertrain Control Module) reprogramming.
Will see tomorrow morning after a cold overnight whether it worked or not.
Any noise today?
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
It's great that Ford is at least acknowledging that there's an issue BUT I'm skeptical this will resolve anything... Given the fact that I added more fluid to my trans and it fixed it, I'm semi-convinced the fluid level is the problem. I don't see how a PCM update is going to solve for what really seems like a starving pump.

I also love that the TSB says if some noise remains, that's just a characteristic of the transmission... No it's not. LOL!
Right?

Tech A: Hey guys, I applied that update but it's still making noise but it's not as bad so we guess it's fixed.. Right?
Tech B: Uhh... What do the engineers say.
Tech C: That it may still make noise.
Tech B: yeah it's fixed.
Tech A: (scratches butt and shrugs) Works for me...

OP
OP

Erikp16

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Update on my Powerboost Noise:
The dealership replaced the flex plate and separator plate. Because this is what they saw other dealerships were doing. Anyway 2 days after that fix, today cold start about 0C (32F), the noise still there. It's quiet because it is not extreme cold. This sunday will be really cold so I can try and record it much louder.

Noise starts about 35s into the video.

Now I have to take it back again and see. I am interested to see if @GGGILLIM Powerboost Noise is gone.

GGGILLIM

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Update on my Powerboost Noise:
The dealership replaced the flex plate and separator plate. Because this is what they saw other dealerships were doing. Anyway 2 days after that fix, today cold start about 0C (32F), the noise still there. It's quiet because it is not extreme cold. This sunday will be really cold so I can try and record it much louder.

Noise starts about 35s into the video.

Now I have to take it back again and see. I am interested to see if @GGGILLIM Powerboost Noise is gone.
After the PCM reprogramming the sound still is present. It may not be quite as loud but it is still annoying. I will give it a few more days of below freezing temps and maybe re-visit the dealership.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
RE: Fluid levels... I have concluded that this transmission has so many nooks & crannies where air bubbles can get trapped that following the level check procedure, to include ensuring it has been run and is well warmed up is really, really important. Why? Well that issue of lots of nooks & crannies for bubbles just makes a difference. Why so many nooks & crannies? Well, think about it: a ten speed transmission. ...And if you have a Powerboost version there are even more of those nooks & crannies. How many electro-hydraulic relays could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck electro-hydraulic relays... :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Erikp16

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Update: The noise is still there after the software upgrade (which Ford recommended on Dec. 12). So now they ordered transmission assembly. It will take a couple of weeks again.

1985ns

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
After the PCM reprogramming the sound still is present. It may not be quite as loud but it is still annoying. I will give it a few more days of below freezing temps and maybe re-visit the dealership.
same here. @Ford Motor Company I had the PCM update done and I feel the noise is a bit less obnoxious but it’s definitely still there in extreme Cold. Honestly the noise I can live with the odd cold day for 60-120 seconds warming up but I just want to make sure that in the long term If there’s damage that it’s covered as I’d say it’s quite well documented as a common problem

SouthParkCo2

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB XLT / 2023 HiHy Limited
Occupation
Retired
Holy crap they WAY overfilled it.. Supposed to be between 4-5 when hot.

1625938999049-png-png.png
I have different info than that.
Note that the pics may not have uploaded in the correct order.
If this has been been posted and is redundant, I apologize...
Ford F-150 Powerboost Cavitating Noise on Cold Start Image0222a
Ford F-150 Powerboost Cavitating Noise on Cold Start Image0223a
Ford F-150 Powerboost Cavitating Noise on Cold Start Image0225a
Ford F-150 Powerboost Cavitating Noise on Cold Start Image0226a
Ford F-150 Powerboost Cavitating Noise on Cold Start Image0227a
Ford F-150 Powerboost Cavitating Noise on Cold Start Image0228a
Ford F-150 Powerboost Cavitating Noise on Cold Start Image0224a

SouthParkCo2

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB XLT / 2023 HiHy Limited
Occupation
Retired
As to oil level... I come back to my experience. In having the oil & filter changed there were problems. On the third round I had the dealer measure how much oil was actually drained: 7 & 1/2 qts. Thus if the Ford procedure specified less than that to be added, the oil level was low. I have been told by two dealers now that the procedure for checking level (EG reading the dipstick) was complex. One dealer said that it required two people, one behind the steering wheel and one under the truck... So-o-o... there ya go.

It doesn't actually require two people.
Quoted is my conversation with a Ford tech:

"Transmission oil check procedure

Shop Talk
I had to look that one up.
I don't think I've had to check one of the hybrid F-150 yet.
The correct level is between 3 and 4, transmission between 206F-215F with
engine running, .....but do they ever have a procedure to check it.
They have a continuous engine running mode they want the vehicle placed
in to check the fluid level.
I'll do my best not to leave out any steps. ...............................

Start with vehicle in park, level, ignition off .

1) Apply the parking brake (do not press the brake pedal)
2) Turn ignition on, leave engine off
3) Within 5 seconds fully depress the brake pedal and accelerator pedal at
the same time and hold for 10 seconds.
4) Within 5 seconds, release only the accelerator pedal and engage engine
start mode (ignition on, engine running)
5) Fully press the accelerator pedal for 10 seconds or until the green READY
indicator turns off and starts flashing once every 3 seconds indicating the
vehicle is in the engine running diagnostics mode. If the green READY indicator
doesn't turn off after 10 seconds, cycle the ignition and start over
6) Release the brake and accelerator pedals. The engine should remain
running continuously.

The correct level is between 3 and 4.
We all learned something today ;-)

DD Butikofer
@Shop Talk - Thank You!! I'll share this on some forums that I'm following.
This will likely help dozens of Power Boost owners in the near future! Thanks again!!
[Is it safe to assume the dipstick needs to be fully re threaded to reach the correct
level for a valid reading?]

Shop Talk - Fully re-threaded or most of them pull out of the cap and just fully
insert it in the transmission. There’s a shoulder, you can’t put it in too far or
drop it in the transmission."

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
It doesn't actually require two people.
Quoted is my conversation with a Ford tech:

"Transmission oil check procedure

Shop Talk
I had to look that one up.
I don't think I've had to check one of the hybrid F-150 yet.
The correct level is between 3 and 4, transmission between 206F-215F with
engine running, .....but do they ever have a procedure to check it.
They have a continuous engine running mode they want the vehicle placed
in to check the fluid level.
I'll do my best not to leave out any steps. ...............................

Start with vehicle in park, level, ignition off .

1) Apply the parking brake (do not press the brake pedal)
2) Turn ignition on, leave engine off
3) Within 5 seconds fully depress the brake pedal and accelerator pedal at
the same time and hold for 10 seconds.
4) Within 5 seconds, release only the accelerator pedal and engage engine
start mode (ignition on, engine running)
5) Fully press the accelerator pedal for 10 seconds or until the green READY
indicator turns off and starts flashing once every 3 seconds indicating the
vehicle is in the engine running diagnostics mode. If the green READY indicator
doesn't turn off after 10 seconds, cycle the ignition and start over
6) Release the brake and accelerator pedals. The engine should remain
running continuously.

The correct level is between 3 and 4.
We all learned something today ;-)

DD Butikofer
@Shop Talk - Thank You!! I'll share this on some forums that I'm following.
This will likely help dozens of Power Boost owners in the near future! Thanks again!!
[Is it safe to assume the dipstick needs to be fully re threaded to reach the correct
level for a valid reading?]

Shop Talk - Fully re-threaded or most of them pull out of the cap and just fully
insert it in the transmission. There’s a shoulder, you can’t put it in too far or
drop it in the transmission."
My words about two people were from a dealer who did the check... And he was the one that got things right the first time... So there ya go...

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Well here’s an interesting development… Just took my truck to the dealer to address the vibration under load issue (shaking when lightly accelerating under load in 9-10 gear) and was told it’s likely due to my transmission being overfilled causing torque converter float which will make the truck shake/vibrate…

However, that dealer doesn’t have a transmission tech so they couldn’t help me… So now I have to wait until my appointment at another dealer with a transmission tech on Jan 31st. And, if this is, in fact, the cause, they’ll likely drain the extra quart that was added a few weeks back which resolved my cavitating noise issue.

The tech I spoke with did say that the cavitation noise could be the result of a faulty seal letting air in so the fluid isn’t getting to the pump right away. So we’ll see if that’s something when I take it in in a month.

The saga continues… Getting a little tempted to sell this thing, sadly.

If it were me I would get a syphon pump and pull the extra fluid out myself and then find a new dealership. Provided you have another one to go to that is.

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
Update: The noise is still there after the software upgrade (which Ford recommended on Dec. 12). So now they ordered transmission assembly. It will take a couple of weeks again.
Any update on the transmission replacement? After a mostly warm January, it looks like temps are dropping again this weekend

OP
OP

Erikp16

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Any update on the transmission replacement? After a mostly warm January, it looks like temps are dropping again this weekend
Yeah. The truck is in the shop for a week now. Waiting for it to be done. Hopefully, soon. So I can rest it out while the cold snap.

OP
OP

Erikp16

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
@Dannyboy80 That sucks. I just got the truck this morning. Here's the update.
The comment from the service order "Remove and replace transmission as per WSM. Download transmission strategy to PCM using FDRS. Go for adaptive road test/ relearn. Fluids good. Repair complete."
The cold snap just ended where I am but I think there is one coming soon. I am going to see if this actually solved it. It's one short of replacing the whole truck hehehe.

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Sounds seems different at different temps. I am in Halifax Canada and last winter I noticed that it only made noise below 12C ( 10.4F) and our usual temps were between -10C(14F) and -15C(5f). In those temps the noise would start almost right away and last maybe 30 seconds on a cold morning.
However today it is -28c (-18.4F) and I started the truck to test it, the first 30 seconds there was no noise. Then for 1.5 minutes it made a noise that wasn’t as loud (video 1) then for 5 minutes it made a louder noise ( video 2)

based on the different lengths of time to start and then finish based on temp this tells me it has to be something with fluid freezing or getting thick? The 30 second noise I could brush under the rug and just hope ford found a fix but over 5 mins is embarrassing when the neighbours text to say something is wrong with your truck.

side note my uncle has a powerboost and his doesn’t make any noise, even this morning.

Sponsored