Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Hey,

I have had my powerboost for two weeks and it bugs me to no end when the engine starts cold under load with zero lubrication. Call me old school but I would like to let the engine run under no load for at least 30 seconds when cold. I have searched around for an answer, and even went to two dealer service departments asking how - no luck.

So this morning while viewing oil change howtos it dawned on me that you would want to do an engine start after an oil change to insure there are no leaks and such. 30 seconds later I had the answer, hold both brake and floor the gas pedal, press start, and let off of the gas when it fires.
Sponsored

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Is there any difference between engine starting when you press the start button versus engine starting when you are rolling slowly (under 2-3 mph) on EV power?

Not sure I follow what a "cold" engine start means and why one would be worse than the other.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
No need to do all that. You can command the engine on any time by tapping the accelerator in park or neutral.
Fun fact, it doesn’t run the engine under load if it can avoid it when cold. It runs the engine, but uses the electric motor for torque for 30 seconds-ish. It also won’t use the engine to charge until it’s over 140 degrees coolant temp

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
No need to do all that. You can command the engine on any time by tapping the accelerator in park or neutral.
Fun fact, it doesn’t run the engine under load if it can avoid it when cold. It runs the engine, but uses the electric motor for torque for 30 seconds-ish. It also won’t use the engine to charge until it’s over 140 degrees coolant temp
That sounds pretty well thought out! I guess that's another reason why they don't let the hybrid battery state of charge drop too low, it maintains a bigger buffer to be able to do this regardless of conditions.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
It also won’t use the engine to charge until it’s over 140 degrees coolant temp
I don't think that is correct. I've seen mine show "Engine On Due to Battery Charging" on the power flow screen before the engine was at 140°F in cold and warm weather. I haven't monitored the actual battery charge PID, but I don't think it would say charging if it wasn't.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Is there any difference between engine starting when you press the start button versus engine starting when you are rolling slowly (under 2-3 mph) on EV power?

Not sure I follow what a "cold" engine start means and why one would be worse than the other.
By “cold engine” I mean an engine that has sat long enough to drop back to ambient temperature and all oil drained back to pan. Minimal oil film on bearing surfaces. I just want to let the engine run to build some oil pressure.

OP
OP
Mosey

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I will have to try that tomorrow.

hussar1683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB (on order)
I believe most hybrids work in a similar manner. Don’t have my truck yet but was wondering if this trick works on the PB.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I don't think that is correct. I've seen mine show "Engine On Due to Battery Charging" on the power flow screen before the engine was at 140°F in cold and warm weather. I haven't monitored the actual battery charge PID, but I don't think it would say charging if it wasn't.
It will tell you that’s the case. But watching the data (and by sound if you listen closely) shows it won’t apply a full charging load to the engine until it’s warmed up to some degree. Mine does show “engine on due to engine cold/battery charging” at this time.

My favorite message is “engine on due to: normal operation”

…thanks LOL

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
The Powerboost eco has a 2 speed oil pump. When in electric mode the oil pump is run via electric motor, pressure is ~14lbs. You can check this with an OBD reader and monitor the oil pressure. If you look a the gauge on the dash, you will notice it's a little green nub, it's not at zero.

here's a post from snakebitten that explains it all with pictures.

Sponsored

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2022 F150 701A (Ordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
The Powerboost eco has a 2 speed oil pump. When in electric mode the oil pump is run via electric motor, pressure is ~14lbs. You can check this with an OBD reader and monitor the oil pressure. If you look a the gauge on the dash, you will notice it's a little green nub, it's not at zero.

Precisely this. Forcing your truck to start the engine up cold is actually worse than letting it start the motor when it calls for it. The electric motor will be moving oil around for you.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost

I'm not sure how that oil pressure that is reported by the PID during EV is created or maintained. It's true that the 3.5 Ecoboost has a variable oil pump, which basically operates in 2 different ranges when ICE is running, but that 14-15 psi reading in EV is below either of the 2 ICE ranges.

I haven't yet discovered if the oil pump is in play during EV. I don't know how it could be honestly.

What I miss with this Powerboost is the ability to perform a so-called flood start procedure where you can spin the ICE without starting it. I really wish I could find a way to do it after an oil change or after the truck has sat several days. But the traditional method of brake and full throttle just gets me a "ready" state in EV mode.

Are you guys saying you can force a fueless/sparkless rotation of the crankshaft?

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
You need to get over 1900 technology and go with the flow!!! start it and go!!

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Using the app to turn it on always send to keep the ICE running. That's been my solution.
Sponsored