Sponsored

Pedestrian Sounder Delete (No Codes, Easily Reversible)

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
That is a lot of work! I'd rather run over someone with the beeping sounds now...
Removing the air dam would definitely be a bit more work, I was able to do mine without removing anything else. It’s definitely tight in there though.
Sponsored

Jloyd98

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Sport 302a PB
I used a cheap push pin puller and bent the end of the prongs down at a 90 degree angle. Was easy to slip it up there and push down on the tab and unplug it. I loved this truck before, but I can't tell you how happy it made me to get rid of the stupid noises. The backup alarm didn't bother me half as much as as the airplane sounds it makes at low speed around town. Its way louder than it needs to be IMO. I'll just deal with clearing the warning at startup until I can get the parts together to bypass it.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I used a cheap push pin puller and bent the end of the prongs down at a 90 degree angle. Was easy to slip it up there and push down on the tab and unplug it. I loved this truck before, but I can't tell you how happy it made me to get rid of the stupid noises. The backup alarm didn't bother me half as much as as the airplane sounds it makes at low speed around town. Its way louder than it needs to be IMO. I'll just deal with clearing the warning at startup until I can get the parts together to bypass it.
The warning at start-up seems like a fair deal. Like auto stop-start in some vehicles, it has to default to "on" to meet the EPA regulations (I guess?) but why not give the driver an option to turn it off each time the engine is started?

Jloyd98

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Sport 302a PB
The warning at start-up seems like a fair deal. Like auto stop-start in some vehicles, it has to default to "on" to meet the EPA regulations (I guess?) but why not give the driver an option to turn it off each time the engine is started?
Yes, I think there needs to be an option for “quiet mode”.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Yes, I think there needs to be an option for “quiet mode”.
With the awesome input on forums like this, it appears that someone who really wants that option can have it.
Somebody is going to follow through with their own initiative, and then share. I'll be watching. :)

Sponsored

SARosei

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order 2021 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Finance
Figured I'd put this into a new thread just for visibility. I know many have wanted to disable the pedestrian sounder (The device making the "groaning" fake engine sound as well as the backup alarm) on the PowerBoost. Full credit goes to PeteRit's post here, I just made some directions for anyone who would like to give it a try themselves.

Obligatory Disclaimer: The pedestrian sounder is obviously a safety device, and is there for a reason. Any modifications you do to your truck are entirely your own responsibility.

With that out of the way, here's the relatively simple process of bypassing the sounder. The best part of this workaround is it's barely 5 minutes to revert the change and put everything back as it was from the factory if you ever need to.

What's needed:
- Tailgate delete connector (Look in your glovebox for the bag of connectors, we're going to use one of them)
- 1x 25w 4ohm Resistor (I used this)
- 2x 1.5mm male connector pins (I used this kit. Has a lot more than you need, but is cheap enough and may come in handy later, I'm sure you could get just the pins somewhere else for cheaper if you wanted.)
- Some scrap 18-20AWG wire (Around 6-8" is all you should need)
- Some shrink tube or tape to seal things up
- A soldering iron

Assemble the bypass device:
- Crimp/solder your two pins to some wire and insert them the connector (These should snap into place when properly inserted and not want to come back out)
- Solder in the resistor to connect the two leads on your pins, here’s what mine looked like
1633006678390.png

- Clean everything up a bit by securing it all together, I used some shrink tube and will probably add some additional protection later to waterproof it better
1633006688693.png

Install the bypass device:
- Disconnect your sounder module and plug your resistor setup into the harness that came off of the module
- I’d recommend covering up the connector on the module to keep it clean for potential future use and securing your new connector somewhere so it’s not just dangling around
- You're all done - the sounder will now be completely eliminated and no codes/lights should be present at all. In the event you ever need to put things back, all you need to do is unplug your "bypass device" and plug the sounder back in. No factory wiring is modified at all.
Is the tailgate delete connector bespoke to Ford? I'd like to assemble this project now in advance of vehicle delivery and don't want to wait on that pin when I can get the rest of the items now. Thank you !

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Is the tailgate delete connector bespoke to Ford? I'd like to assemble this project now in advance of vehicle delivery and don't want to wait on that pin when I can get the rest of the items now. Thank you !
There must be some part number for it but I’m not sure what it is. I would just order the parts you need and be ready with those if I were you, assembling it takes maybe 15 minutes, shouldn’t be a big deal to wait for it.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Just checking... so if you use the connector and resistor, am I correct you*don't* get any sort of warning at start-up or any codes?

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
Has anyone just tried to muffle the sound with some sticky insulating foam?

jabrego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4X4 Lariat 501A Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Just checking... so if you use the connector and resistor, am I correct you*don't* get any sort of warning at start-up or any codes?
Correct. No code or warning at start up. Just did it this weekend. Truck is still loud enough that people should know you are backing up.

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I haven't done this hack. If I understand correctly, reading other posts, if the speaker is disconnected, there will be a warning at every startup, so the idea of this hack is to introduce a resistor to take the place of the speaker, so there's no error message.

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Correct. No codes, no warnings.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Truck is still loud enough that people should know you are backing up.
That and it is big enough all folks "should" see it. On top of that, the DRIVER is responsible for not running over anything not intended to get run over. Mirrors and head on swivel "should be" a drivers main tools.

christophers

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid
Just did this. Some of the original parts that OP posted are no longer available. The same spec pins i got from amazon didn't snap into place, so i used some hot glue along the wire as well as the weather fittings that came with it and it stayed just fine. no codes or issues, and no sounds!

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Just did this. Some of the original parts that OP posted are no longer available. The same spec pins i got from amazon didn't snap into place, so i used some hot glue along the wire as well as the weather fittings that came with it and it stayed just fine. no codes or issues, and no sounds!
I’ll go check for some stuff that’s still in stock and update the links. I’m surprised with the pins, I thought those were pretty standard.
Sponsored