Sponsored

Pedestrian Sounder Delete (No Codes, Easily Reversible)

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I believe in the US for vehicles under 10k lbs, it is required up to 18 mph.
Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I've been trying to think this through (no legal credentials, just on the sidelines as various cases including my business and clients with their own various troubles went through the law/insurance wringer.)
It's practically impossible to prove negligence or intent when someone modifies their vehicle. Two simple questions:
1) did the absence of the beep cause the accident or make it worse?
2) did the owner/user modify the vehicle with the intent to harm others?
The answer to those two is going to be "no" so what you get is your insurer covers the claim, the other party and their insurer don't have a case against you.
Maybe (maybe) you pay a fine for tampering with a safety device (if there's even a law that compels the owner to be aware of some motor vehicle code … if it's not on the driver's license test (e.g. having at least two mirrors and not tinting windows or obstructing the view through the windshield … these will all get you into criminal proceedings when you cause damage or injury) then it's a maybe a fix-it ticket (in some states.) Of course you're still liable for whatever damage or injury you cause regardless of the safety devices. Ford could/would be liable if the beeper doesn't meet whatever regulation (I assume this why automakers tuck the speaker and wiring away and don't make it dead easy to muffle/defeat/unplug.)
Since Tesla offers the user a menu to load whatever sound you like for some of its external sounds (horn, pedestrian warning, backup alert … not sure) I assume you could load a silent or very quiet sound. I'd like Ford to offer the same. Maybe this post at FORScan is relevant.
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic...lit=F+150+hybrid+PowerBoost+pedestrian#p52219
I just think that if you actively and intentionally disable a safety device and something happens, you could be massively exposed.

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I believe in the US for vehicles under 10k lbs, it is required up to 18 mph.
That’s just the engine sound in general I assume? Is there anything specific about a backup alarm though?

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
That’s just the engine sound in general I assume? Is there anything specific about a backup alarm though?
Ah, gotcha now.

I didn't see anything specific to a separate reverse sound.

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Ah, gotcha now.

I didn't see anything specific to a separate reverse sound.
That’s what I don’t get, if the engine noise is to simulate a gas engine, I get the logic behind that and all, but you don’t see the gas engine F-150s also getting backup alarm, so if you the simulated engine noise on the PB, I just don’t understand why you then also need the backup alarm.

Sponsored

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
That’s what I don’t get, if the engine noise is to simulate a gas engine, I get the logic behind that and all, but you don’t see the gas engine F-150s also getting backup alarm, so if you the simulated engine noise on the PB, I just don’t understand why you then also need the backup alarm.
I suspect it is because the speaker is in the engine bay (right?) so if backing out of a parking spot and someone was walking behind the truck, it may be harder for them to hear just the normal impulse sound. On an ICE vehicle, the exhaust comes out the rear and also often the more prominent sound.

That's my guess anyway. I think they went with the beep beep sound because vision impaired people would know that means a vehicle is reversing.

Have to think of it from the perspective of someone without vision, they are likely used to certain events/sounds to keep themselves safe, so from that perspective making it something predictable is only beneficial.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I just think that if you actively and intentionally disable a safety device and something happens, you could be massively exposed.
I agree there's "exposure" and there's some sort of moral/ethical liability, but the law is a funny ass of a thing – what can be prosecuted and proven in a court of law is separate from what might appear logical (not that anyone wants to trade a court case for the minor annoyance of a beep-beep gimzo imposed by nanny regulators.)

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Hit someone with your ICE vehicle backing up. You'll get sued.
Hit someone with your PB, you'll get sued.
Beep beep or no beep beep.

That's just the way things are today.

I, me personally, must take the responsibility to NOT hit someone with my vehicle, regardless of how quiet or noisy it is. (or whether the pedestrian is paying attention)

I'm more impressed with the great camera help and the sensors informing me of what is going on in the blind spots. And on this 2021 Powerboost, both of those aids are pretty well done.

I have 6 little grandchildren and they are always around. The barn, the RV's, the house......so I really appreciate the tools that I have as a driver to avoid the unthinkable!

That beep beep hardly rates 2 star in the scheme of things. I DO wish that I was provided a method to disable it when appropriate. (late night, campgrounds, etc)

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum, 2013 Mustang
The beep beep isn't a problem but that simulated engine noise is bad, it makes our trucks sound like something's gone wrong under the hood. If someone produces a widget that stops that sound I'd buy it.

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
The beep beep isn't a problem but that simulated engine noise is bad, it makes our trucks sound like something's gone wrong under the hood. If someone produces a widget that stops that sound I'd buy it.
You could make your own for the cost of the few materials you need in this thread. The same device makes both sounds, bypassing it with the resistor eliminates both noises.

Sponsored

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum, 2013 Mustang
You could make your own for the cost of the few materials you need in this thread. The same device makes both sounds, bypassing it with the resistor eliminates both noises.
I'll try it. Thanks for showing us how to do it.

tcp

First Name
Trieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum, 2019 Accord
Occupation
IT MGR
What's the best way to remove the plug from the speaker? My fat hands can't don't seem to have enough room. Seems like the radiator bracket needs to be removed?

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
What's the best way to remove the plug from the speaker? My fat hands can't don't seem to have enough room. Seems like the radiator bracket needs to be removed?
Definitely fun trying to get in there... My hands couldn't get up there either, terrible placement for it. I ended up using a long flathead screwdriver coming from behind to depress the little clip on the connector and then pushed the connector off from underneath using my hands and/or some needle nose pliers. Definitely not easy to get to.

PeteRit

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat PB
Occupation
Retired
Remove the air dam and you'll be able to get to it hopefully. I had to remove it and I still had a bit of a hard time. I pushed the top down with my single booger hook and used a long flat head to help wiggle it back a bit. It's a pain I know.

tcp

First Name
Trieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum, 2019 Accord
Occupation
IT MGR
Remove the air dam and you'll be able to get to it hopefully. I had to remove it and I still had a bit of a hard time. I pushed the top down with my single booger hook and used a long flat head to help wiggle it back a bit. It's a pain I know.
That is a lot of work! I'd rather run over someone with the beeping sounds now...
Sponsored