Sponsored

Pedestrian Sounder Delete (No Codes, Easily Reversible)

kosekjm

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A 3.5 Powerboost FX4 5.5' Bed
Occupation
Software Engineer
If you think the back up on the PB is loud try hearing your wife's 2020 Kia Niro Hybrid backup alarm. That thing sounds like a delivery truck. When she leaves for work I can hear it from the other end of the house in the sunken family room.

The PB chime doesn't bother me nearly as much. But that's just me. Your truck, your thing. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
If you think the back up on the PB is loud try hearing your wife's 2020 Kia Niro Hybrid backup alarm. That thing sounds like a delivery truck. When she leaves for work I can hear it from the other end of the house in the sunken family room.

The PB chime doesn't bother me nearly as much. But that's just me. Your truck, your thing. :)
Wow I didn't know any other cars had implemented a backup sound. It'll probably become more and more common, and maybe even required at some point.

kosekjm

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A 3.5 Powerboost FX4 5.5' Bed
Occupation
Software Engineer
Wow I didn't know any other cars had implemented a backup sound. It'll probably become more and more common, and maybe even required at some point.
Yep I've read that it is some federal standard that is either in effect or should be coming soon and some manufacturers are just getting ahead of the game. Think this is also why the PB has the sealing gas tank door (As does my wife's Niro). Hybrids have certain rules so the PB has to follow those too. When her car is on battery the car sounds like a Cylon raider from Battlestar Galactica (newer 2000s show). I played a clip from that on youtube one night and she came into the room as she thought I was watching a video about her car :)

Oddly enough in some of the Kia forums the European models have the option to override the alert (Turns back on apparently after the car is restarted). Guess that is for those late night driveway enter/exit to keep your neighbors happy. But that is most definitely not on the US model, at least not on her 2020. Wish we at least had that option for when I back in the driveway late at night.

jabrego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4X4 Lariat 501A Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Figured I'd put this into a new thread just for visibility. I know many have wanted to disable the pedestrian sounder (The device making the "groaning" fake engine sound as well as the backup alarm) on the PowerBoost. Full credit goes to PeteRit's post here, I just made some directions for anyone who would like to give it a try themselves.

Obligatory Disclaimer: The pedestrian sounder is obviously a safety device, and is there for a reason. Any modifications you do to your truck are entirely your own responsibility.

With that out of the way, here's the relatively simple process of bypassing the sounder. The best part of this workaround is it's barely 5 minutes to revert the change and put everything back as it was from the factory if you ever need to.

What's needed:
- Tailgate delete connector (Look in your glovebox for the bag of connectors, we're going to use one of them)
- 1x 25w 4ohm Resistor (I used this)
- 2x 1.5mm male connector pins (I used this kit. Has a lot more than you need, but is cheap enough and may come in handy later, I'm sure you could get just the pins somewhere else for cheaper if you wanted.)
- Some scrap 18-20AWG wire (Around 6-8" is all you should need)
- Some shrink tube or tape to seal things up
- A soldering iron

Assemble the bypass device:
- Crimp/solder your two pins to some wire and insert them the connector (These should snap into place when properly inserted and not want to come back out)
- Solder in the resistor to connect the two leads on your pins, here’s what mine looked like
1633006678390.png

- Clean everything up a bit by securing it all together, I used some shrink tube and will probably add some additional protection later to waterproof it better
1633006688693.png

Install the bypass device:
- Disconnect your sounder module and plug your resistor setup into the harness that came off of the module
- I’d recommend covering up the connector on the module to keep it clean for potential future use and securing your new connector somewhere so it’s not just dangling around
- You're all done - the sounder will now be completely eliminated and no codes/lights should be present at all. In the event you ever need to put things back, all you need to do is unplug your "bypass device" and plug the sounder back in. No factory wiring is modified at all.
I'm thinking of doing this. I found the connector but will need to buy the pins. So is it 2.5mm male pins or 1.5 mm pins? PeteRit's original post stated 1.5mm. Definitely male pins?

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I had this exact situation this summer, had to leave at 11PM because of an upset baby and had the stupid backup alarm going off trying to get out of our site.
Exactly. Imagine being the one trying to back an RV trailer into a site at midnight after a long drive … great way to introduce yourself to the new neighbors … : )
Seems to me an easy software OTA.

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I'm thinking of doing this. I found the connector but will need to buy the pins. So is it 2.5mm male pins or 1.5 mm pins? PeteRit's original post stated 1.5mm. Definitely male pins?
Definitely 1.5mm male. I originally purchased a kit with 2.5mm based on his post as well and they were way too big for the connector, had to then order a second set with the 1.5mm size and those were correct.

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Exactly. Imagine being the one trying to back an RV trailer into a site at midnight after a long drive … great way to introduce yourself to the new neighbors … : )
Seems to me an easy software OTA.
Yeah all they need is a “mute button” that could pop up on the screen when in reverse or something just like how you can disable the parking sensors when you have a trailer or something. I’d be fine if it came back on every time you restarted the truck, but to not give any way to turn it off is such a pain.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
The resistor and connectors are out of stock. You guys bought them all. :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I really want to do this. But I keep coming back to the unlikely scenario where I back into someone or something and I had the chime disabled. Any lawyer would have a field day.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I really want to do this. But I keep coming back to the unlikely scenario where I back into someone or something and I had the chime disabled. Any lawyer would have a field day.
Change it back if that happens ... before the lawyer can subpoena your truck.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
Thing is useless and screw the lawyers. Several times in small parking lots, I've had people walk right in the front of me as well as behind me while backing up. They can care less and probably would rather me hit them and collect on a lawsuit.

Not for nothing, but wouldn't have cared if they'd put it in the rear of the truck. After all, it's a backup alarm ain't it not? Prob wouldn't be annoying as much. I live on a cul-de-sac where all sound is amplified. Annoying as hell.

Anyone got a photo of the thing under the front end?

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I've been trying to think this through (no legal credentials, just on the sidelines as various cases including my business and clients with their own various troubles went through the law/insurance wringer.)
It's practically impossible to prove negligence or intent when someone modifies their vehicle. Two simple questions:
1) did the absence of the beep cause the accident or make it worse?
2) did the owner/user modify the vehicle with the intent to harm others?
The answer to those two is going to be "no" so what you get is your insurer covers the claim, the other party and their insurer don't have a case against you.
Maybe (maybe) you pay a fine for tampering with a safety device (if there's even a law that compels the owner to be aware of some motor vehicle code … if it's not on the driver's license test (e.g. having at least two mirrors and not tinting windows or obstructing the view through the windshield … these will all get you into criminal proceedings when you cause damage or injury) then it's a maybe a fix-it ticket (in some states.) Of course you're still liable for whatever damage or injury you cause regardless of the safety devices. Ford could/would be liable if the beeper doesn't meet whatever regulation (I assume this why automakers tuck the speaker and wiring away and don't make it dead easy to muffle/defeat/unplug.)
Since Tesla offers the user a menu to load whatever sound you like for some of its external sounds (horn, pedestrian warning, backup alert … not sure) I assume you could load a silent or very quiet sound. I'd like Ford to offer the same. Maybe this post at FORScan is relevant.
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic...lit=F+150+hybrid+PowerBoost+pedestrian#p52219

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Does anyone actually know if the legal/safety requirement for the sounder outlines anything specifically for the backup alarm? I would have only expected the fake engine noise, as almost no other passenger vehicles I’m aware of have a backup alarm of any sort. I still wish they had just given a way to disable the dumb backup alarm portion of it.
Sponsored