Sponsored

Powerboost Exhaust Heat Exchanger Delete

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Signaling is typically max of 5v so yeah I wouldn't go supplying B+ to random wires.
Sponsored

OP
OP

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I think that I can work the wires out on the dongle with just my multimeter. The big remaining question is: "can we source a connector that matches the connector from the heat exchanger?" If it's a standard size, that means that you can solder the wires from the dongle onto the connector and the install under the truck is plug and play: you unhook the connector from the heat exchanger and plug it into the dongle connector. If we can't find that connector, then I'll have to solder a separate connector onto the wiring harness, the dongle and the heat exchanger, with two of those operations happening above my face under the truck. You can call me what you want, but I don't enjoy hot solder blobs landing on my face and I bet that a job requiring three hands in an inaccessible location will produce at least one.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Bottom line the consequences for this mod are 1) hypothetical and 2) have solutions which are being actively engineered for and deployed on the most popular engine in the most popular truck in the world. I think that leads us to the question of: how?
I think the reason for rapid ICE warmup is to maximize traction motor work sharing. The sooner the ICE gets to operating temp, the sooner the desired hybrid load sharing can begin and the more efficient the truck operates.

The quicker the ICE warms up, the sooner it can shut off. Simple as that.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
What we need is for the heat exchanger to not leak! It has a valid purpose, but the design is lacking. How do we make it bulletproof? That is the task imo.

OP
OP

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
I think the reason for rapid ICE warmup is to maximize traction motor work sharing. The sooner the ICE gets to operating temp, the sooner the desired hybrid load sharing can begin and the more efficient the truck operates.

The quicker the ICE warms up, the sooner it can shut off. Simple as that.
Great idea, and it's exactly what I thought until I looked into the issue further. There's actually a long discussion on this topic earlier in this thread. Bottom line, the heat exchanger is exclusively for cabin heat, with any effect upon warmup time being an afterthought.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Cabin heat? wtf?
The cabin doesn't warm quickly enough in the 3.5EB? Good grief.

Did we glean that from some disgruntled former Ford employee who couldn't put the pipe down for the duration of the required company drug addiction program?

Now I'm going to have to read that entire thread. 😩

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Ford F-150 Powerboost Exhaust Heat Exchanger Delete 1694869639088

Does the PB have a cabin heater coolant pump like the 2.7 and 3.5 EB's do?

That might be pre-2021 and not applicable. Apologies if that's the case.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Cabin heat? wtf?
The cabin doesn't warm quickly enough in the 3.5EB? Good grief.

Did we glean that from some disgruntled former Ford employee who couldn't put the pipe down for the duration of the required company drug addiction program?

Now I'm going to have to read that entire thread. 😩
Where were you yesterday?
You take a day off around here?
This place can get a little rowdy (over serious) and you were no help. 😁

Ok, I think you need stronger coffee this morning too.

On the Powerboost, the whole point is to turn that Fire Breathing Twin Turbo OFF ASAP.
The regular 3.5, and 2.7 for that matter, on a frigid cold morning in Fargo, has no intention of turning off.

And we shouldn't forget that since the intention is to turn that motor off, the EPA still has their panties in a wad if you don't get that ICE beyond its fat-rich cold cats cold-start loop soon enough.

T I M E appears to be the essence of that crazy contraption/wart they bolted on to our tailpipe.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
My fancy fridge had one of its' 3 evaporator fans quit and the dang thing froze up. I had to fix it before the appliance parts store closed and/or she decided we need a new one!

Tragedy narrowly averted for all you Dead Heads out there :giggle:

OP
OP

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician

On the Powerboost, the whole point is to turn that Fire Breathing Twin Turbo OFF ASAP.
The regular 3.5, and 2.7 for that matter, on a frigid cold morning in Fargo, has no intention of turning off.

And we shouldn't forget that since the intention is to turn that motor off, the EPA still has their panties in a wad if you don't get that ICE beyond its fat-rich cold cats cold-start loop soon enough.

T I M E appears to be the essence of that crazy contraption/wart they bolted on to our tailpipe.
I think the other big issue is that whenever it's really cold, the ICE stays on. The engine on/vehicle on delta between an auto start/stop 3.5L and a PB is in practice very small, particularly if the PB has heavier tires. In the Aviator hybrid, which has a roughly 2x as powerful electric motor, always wears P rated tires and has a 10x bigger battery, I could see the heat exchanger being a far more important part for warming the drivetrain in a timely fashion.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems

So I was pretty close when I said this:

"The quicker the ICE warms up, the sooner it can shut off. Simple as that."

I was thinking only of efficiency and not overly rich fuel, but for the oil analysis folks lol, is burning that excess fuel off quickly and shutting down a bad thing?

I still contend that if it never leaked we wouldn't mind it being there.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I'm copying and editing and replying and screwing this thread up. You're right about needing to wake up lol

OP
OP

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
So I was pretty close when I said this:

"The quicker the ICE warms up, the sooner it can shut off. Simple as that."

I was thinking only of efficiency and not overly rich fuel, but for the oil analysis folks lol, is burning that excess fuel off quickly and shutting down a bad thing?

I still contend that if it never leaked we wouldn't mind it being there.
I completely agree. I wasn't sure what it was until I saw the leak thread, and even then I thought it was a low temp loop heater for the battery until I was educated.

The other reason that I want it gone is my goal of redoing the whole exhaust system AND wrapping the manifolds, turbos and pipes near the transmission. Peak power output is not relevant to real world performance metrics for these trucks, but COOLING absolutely is. I can't easily increase the radiator capacity beyond where it is, but I can try to keep heat in the exhaust pipes and out the tailpipe with insulation AND reduced resistance to flow. My fear is that the electronics and plastic in the heat exchanger would react badly to hotter than expected exhaust temperatures and duly fail at the worst possible time.

Last edited:

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I completely agree. I wasn't sure what it was until I saw the leak thread, and even then I thought it was a low temp loop heater for the battery until I was educated.

The other reason that I want it gone is my goal of redoing the whole exhaust system AND wrapping the manifolds, turbos and pipes near the transmission. Peak power output is not relevant to real world performance metrics for these trucks, but COOLING absolutely is. I can't easily increase the radiator capacity beyond where it is, but I can try to keep heat in the exhaust pipes and out the tailpipe with insulation AND reduced resistance to flow. My fear is that the electronics and plastic in the heat exchanger would react badly to hotter than expected exhaust temperatures and duly fail at the worst possible time.
Fascinating. So your answer to the heat buildup while under heavy load(granted typically at higher altitudes while maintaining or exceeding speed limits..) is to insulate the exhaust pipes and reduce restrictions?

I like it, but I wonder if the largest sources of heat and restriction, the turbos, will render your efforts to that of placing an ice cube in an oven to lower the temperature?
Sponsored