First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
And 4.2.2 arrived tonight at some point. Definitely under a ½ tank now, and no rain dances or animal sacrifices required.

Wolverine7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 2023 Tesla Model Y LR
So has anyone gotten an update via Wi-Fi? I think all of mine have happened after turning it off. Not sure I’m ready to tempt fate and try turning it back on…

Sponsored

CTYankee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Edge
Well coincedence or not, add me to the list for whom this procedure has worked. I just received 3.5.3 and 3.5.4 ! (Sept. 2021 build)

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
So has anyone gotten an update via Wi-Fi? I think all of mine have happened after turning it off. Not sure I’m ready to tempt fate and try turning it back on…
Not a single OTA released for our trucks requires wifi for it to download.

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Since you seem to know everything I'm sure you can explain why this worked then? No need for stupid comments.
You just got lucky like I did. I had zero OTA updates in the first two years, then last week I got 2 updates and 1 this week. Now I see most of these updates are worthless, 1st one added honk/flash lights to the app, this week I can now talk to my truck, LOL

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Not a single OTA released for our trucks requires wifi for it to download.
I've wondered a few times why since it's so obvious that it's possible for them to. The only thing I can figure is that Ford already has a security method in place to lock down the allowed source for OTA update data via the TCU. But perhaps they don't yet have the equivalent security for data received through the trucks wireless ethernet port?

Of course they CAN develop such, but perhaps they haven't yet?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
I've wondered a few times why since it's so obvious that it's possible for them to. The only thing I can figure is that Ford already has a security method in place to lock down the allowed source for OTA update data via the TCU. But perhaps they don't yet have the equivalent security for data received through the trucks wireless ethernet port?

Of course they CAN develop such, but perhaps they haven't yet?
To be honest, up until this day, I am not sure if a truck connected to wifi when an OTA trigger is created will have the files download via the wifi connection, or if it will ignore the fact that it is on wifi and use its own connection to do it. I do know many people have reported getting OTA's while connected to wifi, so being on wifi won't prevent you from getting an update downloaded. I never connect my truck to wifi because I live in major city with cell phone towers everywhere and I good have cellular data everywhere I go 24 hours a day.

Edit: It is my understanding that the GWM module is the component responsible for "approving" the downloaded files for installation. Whether the files come in via wifi or the TCU, it would still have to go through the GWM before it installs.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The TCP/IP gurus on the forum have reported that the router logs show no evidence of the OTA Payload coming through the firewall. So when the truck is connected to Wi-Fi and receives an OTA, it did not "download the files" over Wi-Fi.
And regardless of the role the GWM serves, its still a switch/router/transceiver running on Ford's code. It's "managed", rather than being "dumb", so to speak. So it can't decide whether to allow an OTA Payload through its wireless ethernet interface unless the code Ford has managing it allows for it to.

Currently our trucks seem to be NOT allowed to accept an OTA Payload from the wireless ethernet interface.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
The TCP/IP gurus on the forum have reported that the router logs show no evidence of the OTA Payload coming through the firewall. So when the truck is connected to Wi-Fi and receives an OTA, it did not "download the files" over Wi-Fi.
And regardless of the role the GWM serves, its still a switch/router/transceiver running on Ford's code. It's "managed", rather than being "dumb", so to speak. So it can't decide whether to allow an OTA Payload through its wireless ethernet interface unless the code Ford has managing it allows for it to.

Currently our trucks seem to be NOT allowed to accept an OTA Payload from the wireless ethernet interface.
Yes, I have seen their reports on the router logs. I still won't say with 100% confidence that no update has ever downloaded via a wifi connection. That goes way beyond my scope of knowledge.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, I have seen their reports on the router logs. I still won't say with 100% confidence that no update has ever downloaded via a wifi connection. That goes way beyond my scope of knowledge.
So no amount of the collective's evidence can make you a believer? 🙃

It's simply because, up until now, Ford prohibits it. Literally.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
So no amount of the collective's evidence can make you a believer? 🙃

It's simply because, up until now, Ford prohibits it. Literally.
I know you follow these forums well. If you know for a fact from people that are smarter about these things than you and I that an OTA will definitely not download via wifi, then I believe you. lol
Sponsored