First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
Following gross negligence's view regarding discrete grounds would be incorrect. He failed to listen and I hope he's blessed with countless nuisance trips due to failing to understand how current will flow between the ground rods with an imbalance on the individual 120v legs depending on the resistance between the ground rods. He can't interact with my posts so I can flick dirt his way ;)

If you have a ufer ground and drive a ground rod next to it connected to the truck, as little as a couple hundred watts will trip the truck while providing zero benefit. Earthed grounding is primarily for lightning protection in homes. It's not a magic safety wand. The truck may be monitoring more parameters than a typical GFI breaker given it's completely electronically controlled and can see if something is plugged in (some times falsely), which means its looking at resistance values above what you'd typically see with your average GFI breaker. There are no benefits to earthing the truck.

It's safer to run the ground in the same wire bundle to the power box where it's simply left covered with a wire nut, than it is to connect it to a discrete earthed ground rod.
Ford F-150 Installed Transfer Switch in House 1681475150711
Sponsored

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
So after 30 pages of discussion have we come to a conclusion? Can we or can’t we use the power boost as an alternative to a legacy generator to partially power a house?
Yes it can be if you uses a neutral switching transfer switch. I have this switch, and have used the Powerboost as a power source without GFI trips. It’s all about the right equipment

GraffiX

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum PB
So the neutral transfer switch is the key to pandoras box. Any specific model or leave that to my electrician.
I'm not looking for work arounds, I'm willing to pay for the equipment so long as it does what I need it to do.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired
So the neutral transfer switch is the key to pandoras box. Any specific model or leave that to my electrician.
I'm not looking for work arounds, I'm willing to pay for the equipment so long as it does what I need it to do.
If you look in the attachment, you have a list of Siemens panels (my son has one of them) that work for bonded neutral generators. Mine is a Eaton and the model is CPL112G3 (30A 6/12). As mentionned my PB works fine with both and everything is connected, no work around :)

Attachments

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ F150 Powerboost Lariat
I had an interlock switch installed and the electrician ended up lifting the ground at the inlet box. Once ground was lifted in the inlet box, the trucks GFI stopped tripping.

While I understand this is a “work around” and not up to code, I’d like to pick and chose which breakers are on in the entire home, instead of choosing 8-10.

Also, I’ll make sure that I don’t have a damaged generator cord powered while walking barefoot in the rain through puddles. I’ll plan to set everything up before turning on the generator/truck. Keeping the truck in the garage with exhaust tubing attached and garage door cracked open will keep the elements out for the most part.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If you look in the attachment, you have a list of Siemens panels (my son has one of them) that work for bonded neutral generators. Mine is a Eaton and the model is CPL112G3 (30A 6/12). As mentionned my PB works fine with both and everything is connected, no work around :)
Wait?
It's possible?
Legit too?

I'm going to buy one and then rebadge the box with a Blue Oval and a 3ZNL-xxxxx-x number.

Imagine the fireworks that could be ignited. 🤣

Snooker_ML

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 SCrew PowerBoost 145" Lariat 501A MaxTow
I think your electrician doesn't know what he is talking about but I'm like you not an electrician and trust them to follow the code. If the power is reliable in your area then the option that you choose might be enough and way cheaper than adding a new panel. I never heard anyone having a problem with their fridge and the Powerboost but maybe larger fridge could have problem.... I know some have problem with their A/C but this is not related to the GFI.
I can't quote my electrician directly but before his 20 year career as an electrician he was an appliance repair person who service a lot of nasty appliances, sitting in wet places with no grounds. Remember that GFCI trips with only 0.006 Amps detected, and he has seen too many fridges with that much leakage on them (at compressor start up or ??? I dunno). Raise your hand if your kitchen fridge is on a GFCI circuit. No hands?

I'm only quoting him, don't flame me. He is a worst case guy.

Sure there are many people who have gotten this to work with a 3 pole transfer switch to switch the neutral. I'm just telling you what he says. Our county is pretty strict as well. If any mod "touches" my 40 year old Square D panel, then he says a bunch of upgrades have to occur to meet our 2020 code changes.

I have tried 2 electricians and they won't do it, that is all I'm saying. I think the 3 pole neutral switch would work, but there is too much cost for me, and too many chances for our inspector to not sign off. I'm not in a high prone power outage area. It goes out but maybe for 4 hours at the most.

the Generac 6852 series, Reliance X series (there is some new old-stock around), or maybe the Eaton CH10GEN5030SN, or other 3 pole neutral switch.

You guys have fun.

Snooker_ML

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 SCrew PowerBoost 145" Lariat 501A MaxTow
That Eaton number seems to be found only (mainly?) in Canada, from my searches online.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I had a transfer switch installed on the house today. Most of my appliances, HVAC, and hot water heater are gas. I haven’t tested it yet. Has anyone else done this yet? I’m thinking the 7.2 kw can power most of the house.
I was wondering what in the world could spark a 31 page debate? So, rather than read through it all to catch up, I just read the first post and there was my answer. "I had a transfer switch installed...I haven't tested it yet". You had someone install a transfer switch and didn't have them test it? 🤦‍♂️

Sponsored

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
I had an interlock switch installed and the electrician ended up lifting the ground at the inlet box. Once ground was lifted in the inlet box, the trucks GFI stopped tripping.

While I understand this is a “work around” and not up to code, I’d like to pick and chose which breakers are on in the entire home, instead of choosing 8-10.

Also, I’ll make sure that I don’t have a damaged generator cord powered while walking barefoot in the rain through puddles. I’ll plan to set everything up before turning on the generator/truck. Keeping the truck in the garage with exhaust tubing attached and garage door cracked open will keep the elements out for the most part.
Your electrician is not a professional

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Raise your hand if your kitchen fridge is on a GFCI circuit. No hands?
I have both a residential side by side Refrigerator/Freezer (with ice maker) and a chest deep freeze in my garage both plugged into GFCI outlets. Both running for many, many years. Never have either one of them tripped the GFCI.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
I have both a residential side by side Refrigerator/Freezer (with ice maker) and a chest deep freeze in my garage both plugged into GFCI outlets. Both running for many, many years. Never have either one of them tripped the GFCI.
It is good that you haven't had a problem with this but I can say first hand, that I know of a place with quite strict electrical and inspection rules, (each change of occupancy) specifically allows receptacles dedicated to refs / freezers and washer / driers, to be exempt from GFCI requirements.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
It is good that you haven't had a problem with this but I can say first hand, that I know of a place with quite strict electrical and inspection rules, (each change of occupancy) specifically allows receptacles dedicated to refs / freezers and washer / driers, to be exempt from GFCI requirements.
Of course local codes can change from city to city.

Here EVERY outlet outside or the garage (i.e. not in the living space), as well as bathroom outlets within a certain distance from water (sink, tub, shower, etc) HAS to be GFCI.

So if you are going to have a "beer frig" in the garage it will be plugged into GFCI.

Regardless, I thought you were asking for the existence of ANYONE that had every tried to run frigs off of a GFCI'd outlet. I was just "putting my hand up".
Sponsored