First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB
Occupation
Construction
What made you decide on the Roush? My 2011EB had a K&N, my 2015EB had a Banks Cold Air Intake and you went with Roush. Can I ask why? FWIW I never saw a noticable improvement on my two K&N and Banks and would try Roush if you saw something of good benefit... more along the lines of MPG increase, dont really care about HP\Torque increases.
I like the look.
To be honest, I only felt some difference in Sport mode. Only thing I like is the look, not having to change filters and not having to oil this filter. Generally performance filters allow less restriction to air flow which in turn helps the system to breathe better.
Sponsored

TXGREEK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 FX4 Lariat
Installed one also - it definitely affected fuel economy more than power. A little better sound, but not dramatically so. Fuel economy up about 0.5 MPG over about a 700 mile test period.
haven’t noticed a mpg difference with mine but definitely noticed faster throttle response and louder intake sound than with stock. My mpg got .5 mpg more after I replaced the 1.25” rear block with a 2” block to get slightly more rake

TXGREEK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 FX4 Lariat
My guess is the filter is less restrictive than the OEM filter and the area of the round cone is larger than the flat square OEM filter.
I guarantee you it breathes better than with factory setup.

Sponsored

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
To be honest, I only felt some difference in Sport mode. Only thing I like is the look, not having to change filters and not having to oil this filter. Generally performance filters allow less restriction to air flow which in turn helps the system to breathe better.
Ok thanks. One thing I did on my old Banks system was bought a second filter so when I washed the first it could sit and dry for a day or two and I would not be down any time. I would air compressor the filter out and get it 'pretty dry' but was nice to open the box, swap it out and close it up and be good for another month or two.
Def going to look into this. Has a nice 'show off' window. Looks cool... thanks again for the shared info.

OP
OP
Shane150

Shane150

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB
Occupation
Construction
Ok thanks. One thing I did on my old Banks system was bought a second filter so when I washed the first it could sit and dry for a day or two and I would not be down any time. I would air compressor the filter out and get it 'pretty dry' but was nice to open the box, swap it out and close it up and be good for another month or two.
Def going to look into this. Has a nice 'show off' window. Looks cool... thanks again for the shared info.
I like the 2nd filter option. Thanks!

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I had a Roush and wound up removing it in favor of an aFe. The aFe is a bigger filter, a bigger piece of rotomolded plastic and replaces everything vs the Roush kit which replaces very little; Cost difference isn't much, and install was actually easier for the aFe because I wasn't trying to reuse a bunch of stuff. I have a Cervini intake hood with the bottom half of the air duct installed (i.e. it's a functional scoop hood) so I have the window removed from my CAI to allow the air from the hood to flow in the top. It's not a perfect seal, but this is a turbo engine so the intercooler and/or upgrades to the intercooler and duct affect intake temps more than air temp at the air filter.

Anway, I'm sure that the Roush is fine, and I didn't have any issues with it, but if I had this to do again I would've gone with the aFe first.

aFe momentum GT

Edit: with regard to power, I don't think that you'll notice any change beyond placebo effect with a single bolt-on, and even if you do a full set of bolt-ons (CAI, intercooler, exhaust) you really need a tune and premium gas or E85 to take advantage of it. The holdup for me has been the exhaust heat exchanger on the PB, which we're STILL working to delete without breaking things/getting eternal CELs and/or engineering a new truck. I bring this up only as a cautionary tale: performance is limited by the weakest link, which will ultimately be your air delivery, your injectors, your turbos, your fuel octane or, ultimately, your pistons.

I do notice the turbo noise MUCH more than stock even with a noise/heat blanket on the underside of the hood, but I like the noise and it's only when I step on the pedal at speed, so I don't regard that as a downside (others might).

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I had a Roush and wound up removing it in favor of an aFe. The aFe is a bigger filter, a bigger piece of rotomolded plastic and replaces everything vs the Roush kit which replaces very little; Cost difference isn't much, and install was actually easier for the aFe because I wasn't trying to reuse a bunch of stuff. I have a Cervini intake hood with the bottom half of the air duct installed (i.e. it's a functional scoop hood) so I have the window removed from my CAI to allow the air from the hood to flow in the top. It's not a perfect seal, but this is a turbo engine so the intercooler and/or upgrades to the intercooler and duct affect intake temps more than air temp at the air filter.
It all matters. How's your IAC v ambient now with this in place?

Banks has been pushing air density measurements as the most important factor as it's a function of many variables. Warmer air requires more boost and even more intercooler. Don't overlook the importance of not taking dirty warm air. Assume nothing, put a probe on it as you could be doing more harm than good.

I've yet to see a single company publish any straight data about their products outside of cherry picked dynos which are often of little utility. You'll know you got a great product when the company selling it backs it up with high-fidelity data that's rather simple to collect. MOST products on the market are laughable gains at best, nowhere near worth the $. Meth injection alone would net more power than all of the intakes / intercoolers / flow tubes combined, for less $. 50HP to the wheels for ~$800.

This gave me an idea for a filter though that'd pretty much shut down $$$ intake kits due to the super low cost. Time to run a patent search 😈

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
It all matters. How's your IAC v ambient now with this in place?

Banks has been pushing air density measurements as the most important factor as it's a function of many variables. Warmer air requires more boost and even more intercooler. Don't overlook the importance of not taking dirty warm air. Assume nothing, put a probe on it as you could be doing more harm than good.

I've yet to see a single company publish any straight data about their products outside of cherry picked dynos which are often of little utility. You'll know you got a great product when the company selling it backs it up with high-fidelity data that's rather simple to collect. MOST products on the market are laughable gains at best, nowhere near worth the $. Meth injection alone would net more power than all of the intakes / intercoolers / flow tubes combined, for less $. 50HP to the wheels for ~$800.

This gave me an idea for a filter though that'd pretty much shut down $$$ intake kits due to the super low cost. Time to run a patent search 😈
I'm not overly concerned about the charge air being warmer, particularly not at speed (when the ram air effect is actually working). That said, a bluetooth BBQ temp probe is only $25 on Amazon, so if someone will get measurements from a stock and/or Roush intake, I'll tape it in there and post whatever it says.

With regard to lowering intake temperature, I'd spend the money on custom blankets for the exhaust manifolds first. PTP has blankets for the turbos, and I'm seriously considering having a set of exhaust manifold blankets made. The issue is that you have to send them the manifolds as a pattern, but I found a set for $160 on eBay. The upside is that once they make it, they can make it for anyone else from that pattern. To your specific point about charge temps, higher engine bay temperature affects not only the air entering the filter, but also soaks into the charge pipes and even the intake manifold. The solution is to keep those temperatures contained, which in this case means blankets. I just bought the used manifolds, so once PTP has them made I'll post about it.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
I love when the lab coats come out....
Its a cool intake @Shane150. Even if you lost MPGs. Its your money, looks cool.

OP
OP
Shane150

Shane150

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB
Occupation
Construction
I love when the lab coats come out....
Its a cool intake @Shane150. Even if you lost MPGs. Its your money, looks cool.
mpg is at 21 right now. I don't have a heavy foot and I drive in eco most of the time.

OP
OP
Shane150

Shane150

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB
Occupation
Construction

Anway, I'm sure that the Roush is fine, and I didn't have any issues with it, but if I had this to do again I would've gone with the aFe first.

aFe momentum GT

Edit: with regard to power, I don't think that you'll notice any change beyond placebo effect with a single bolt-on, and even if you do a full set of bolt-ons (CAI, intercooler, exhaust) you really need a tune and premium gas or E85 to take advantage of it. The holdup for me has been the exhaust heat exchanger on the PB, which we're STILL working to delete without breaking things/getting eternal CELs and/or engineering a new truck. I bring this up only as a cautionary tale: performance is limited by the weakest link, which will ultimately be your air delivery, your injectors, your turbos, your fuel octane or, ultimately, your pistons.

I do notice the turbo noise MUCH more than stock even with a noise/heat blanket on the underside of the hood, but I like the noise and it's only when I step on the pedal at speed, so I don't regard that as a downside (others might).
Did you get the oiled filter or oil-free filter and why?

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Did you get the oiled filter or oil-free filter and why?
I did dry, but I don't have a strong preference. I may oil mine when I clean it, as I drive in dusty conditions and the airflow is way more than I need.
Sponsored