Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I don’t have the tow technology package but I do have everything included in it (360 camera, etc).

It looks like a Ford engineer has been doing demos of pro trailer hitch assist at the New York auto show. She said it is available now on the 23s and will be available on pro trailer backup assist trucks via an OTA update. Her name is Jennifer Shaw,. I’ve tried sending her an email at what I think might be her @ford.com address but it keeps kicking back as undeliverable. She could probably tell us what are the requirements to add it to pre 23 trucks.
Meaning all you'd have to have is pro trailer back up assist?
I also have 360 cameras but just lane keeping (not centering) and no park assist. (302a) I'm wondering if this OTA would apply to all trim levels?
Sponsored

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Meaning all you'd have to have is pro trailer back up assist?
Thats what the Ford rep said in the vid.
How long it takes the OTA to be developed, or how trouble free it will be once it is, is anyone's guess. She said they are working on it.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EDIT
It maybe a stupid question, but does your truck have the tow technology package? 🤔
Do you have Pro Trailer Backup Assist?
If so, as per the build site, Pro Trailer Hitch Assist is part of that.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Do you have Pro Trailer Backup Assist?
If so, as per the build site, Pro Trailer Hitch Assist is part of that.
Yes, it's a 2021 that came with what was at the time called "Tow Technologie Package". So, I have Pro Trailer Backup assist, But I do not have Pro Trailer Hitch Assist, When I look back at the order guide, I see that they didn't talk about Hitch Assist as part of the package in 2021. I was hoping to somehow enable "Pro Hitch Assist" at minimum even if ultimately, I can't enable "Dynamic Hitch Assist"

From 2021 order guide
 360-Degree Camera Package (req. Trailer Tow Pkg (53A) or Max Trailer Tow Pkg (53C); incl. Trailer Reverse Guidance) 763
"Tow Technology Package 17T
Trailer Tow Package (incl. Pro Trailer Backup Assist; NA w/ Tow Technology Pkg (17T))
Note: Ordering the Trailer Tow Package does not include Trailer Tow Mirrors. Trailer Tow Mirrors are a standalone option and must be ordered separately. (Option Code: 54W)"

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
She could probably tell us what are the requirements to add it to pre 23 trucks.
I don't think she would help in the slightest.

I think what is happening here is that the feature was written for the original hardware set, which is missing from some trucks due to deletes. For 23 they have it written with the new hardware that's missing the original APA chip, and THAT version will come to older trucks OTA.

They make the rules, so to speak. It doesn't matter how it used to work, just how they can make it work.

Sponsored

sp468

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I don't think she would help in the slightest.

I think what is happening here is that the feature was written for the original hardware set, which is missing from some trucks due to deletes. For 23 they have it written with the new hardware that's missing the original APA chip, and THAT version will come to older trucks OTA.

They make the rules, so to speak. It doesn't matter how it used to work, just how they can make it work.
It’s going to take more hardware than the APA chip to make pro trailer hitch assist work. At the least there is going to be some number of cameras and sensors needed. For example, I have 4 sensors in my bumpers. I have the APA chip yet it doesn’t work. Is it written for those trucks with the 6 sensors? Probably so. Can it be written so it works with the 4 sensors? Possibly.
We can speculate all day. It would be nice to hear from Ford what the real hardware requirements are and what their direction is.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Yes, it's a 2021 that came with what was at the time called "Tow Technologie Package". So, I have Pro Trailer Backup assist, But I do not have Pro Trailer Hitch Assist, When I look back at the order guide, I see that they didn't talk about Hitch Assist as part of the package in 2021. I was hoping to somehow enable "Pro Hitch Assist" at minimum even if ultimately, I can't enable "Dynamic Hitch Assist"

From 2021 order guide
 360-Degree Camera Package (req. Trailer Tow Pkg (53A) or Max Trailer Tow Pkg (53C); incl. Trailer Reverse Guidance) 763
"Tow Technology Package 17T
Trailer Tow Package (incl. Pro Trailer Backup Assist; NA w/ Tow Technology Pkg (17T))
Note: Ordering the Trailer Tow Package does not include Trailer Tow Mirrors. Trailer Tow Mirrors are a standalone option and must be ordered separately. (Option Code: 54W)"
I made the Forscan changes early on when the subject first came up.
It was easy and even with the missing chip (2022/APA delete) it worked for everything right up to the very last function before it errors out.

I left the Forscan changes in. The error is of no consequences otherwise.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In this vid the rep says it uses the rear view camera and radar.

I think I see 6 sensors on the bumper. 2 outboard, 2 mid and 2 near the license plate.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This guy credits this bd. for how to make it work on a 2022.

See the notes.

Reactions: DK4

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I have the APA chip yet it doesn’t work.
Has it been proven that all 2021 IPMAs are the same? There are different ones for trucks that don't have 360 cam, so just because you are 21 doesn't mean you have the APA chip, I would imagine. Someone correct me if this is wrong, as this topic is spread over like 3 multi-topic threads.

The only trucks that have tried it so far have had 6 sensors far as I can tell (yeah, the demos are going to be on the top end trucks, that's how marketing works), so It would be rad if someone did the IPMA change, or confirmed they had the APA chip, and 4 sensors.

I still say looking backwards for what's possible is fine for now to get it enabled ASAP, but looking forward I think it will get loaded to all trucks with rear cam and 4 rear sensors, because that's all the process should require from a conceptual standpoint. I'll bet a round of beers on it (with my usual caveat of redeemable only in person.)

Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I made the Forscan changes early on when the subject first came up.
It was easy and even with the missing chip (2022/APA delete) it worked for everything right up to the very last function before it errors out.

I left the Forscan changes in. The error is of no consequences otherwise.
Well, Snake you just talked me into giving it a shot. I don't even own or tow a trailer! 😆 🤣 so it's a software quest for me. As you said previously it's a cool thing to show your buddy's. I'll make the changes this weekend, and give it test on Monday. The landscape company next door to where I work has a boatload of trailers in there lot I can backup to and test with. I guess I need a ball mount and ball for it to work? I'll need to borrow that from somewhere 🤔

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Well, Snake you just talked me into giving it a shot. I don't even own or tow a trailer! 😆 🤣 so it's a software quest for me. As you said previously it's a cool thing to show your buddy's. I'll make the changes this weekend, and give it test on Monday. The landscape company next door to where I work has a boatload of trailers in there lot I can backup to and test with. I guess I need a ball mount and ball for it to work? I'll need to borrow that from somewhere 🤔
You will need a ball mount, because it runs through an initialization process, part of which involves identifying the characteristics of the ball mount with the rear camera. If you don’t have one attached, I think the process will fail.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks @Aron. I'm going to make the forscan changes as listed previously in the thread with the 5 not the 4. After I complete the changes I'll hit you up if I have questions on using it. 😊

bcb97

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2020 Expedition
In this vid the rep says it uses the rear view camera and radar.

I think I see 6 sensors on the bumper. 2 outboard, 2 mid and 2 near the license plate.

From what I can see, the lightning only has 4 sensors.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From what I can see, the lightning only has 4 sensors.
Nope. 6.

At about one minute, you get a shot of the corner of the bumper and for a flash of something that could be a sensor.

Then a clear view of the 2 at the license plate and as the camera pulls back a clearer view of the one further down the bumper.

At about 4:50, there is a clear shot on the one on the corner of the bumper. Moving on, another clear view of those at the license plate and a decent shot of the one further down.

Sponsored