Steyreo

Steyreo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Lariat SuperCrew PowerBoost Sport Fx4
I feel like a few us might be talking about different things.
yeah, agreed. 2021 Job 1 Lariat with tow package: I have a bendy line. Useful, sure, not mind blowing and wouldn’t take 3 pages of the owners’ manual to explain.

Does anybody have the system described on page 439 of the owner’ manual?
——————-
“HOW DOES TRAILER HITCHING ASSISTANCE WORK
Trailer hitching assistance uses the following to detect your trailer:
• Rear view camera.
• Radar.
• Parking aid sensors.
• External rear lighting.
This feature also controls the following to align the hitch ball with the trailer coupler:
• Steering.
• Shifting.
• Braking and acceleration.”
————————

I’m talking about the owners’ manual that you get through the app that is the latest version. I assumed that later versions had corrections, not that they were describing things that weren’t even available. How else do people have the owners’ manual? I didn’t get a paper copy.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Steyreo

Steyreo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Early '21 model year trucks came with the sensor module. It was dropped because of the chip issue and Ford reverted to the old sticker method that was used in previous model years. I think '21 build 2 got the stickers but I don't know if Ford is still providing them. They were inside some brochure in the glovebox. I got the sticker system with my 2019 502A Lariat and set it up on my travel trailer. I tried it once and remember that it worked, but I don't remember the details three years later. I never used it again because it was much easier to just use the lines to guide myself back to my trailer hitch.
You are talking about the thing called, “pro trailer backup assist” (page 448). Not the same thing. I have that. Unless you are saying that pro trailer backup assist is the same as “hitching assistance?” But have “backup assistance” and don’t see anything happening when I try pressing the button without the trailer attached other than getting an error message that no trailer is attached.

So far, responses here are making me think that this is another example of Ford not having something ready in time for these trucks. Or at least the manual people didn’t get the memo That it wasn’t ready. Sure, that would be great if we got it in an OTA update. Haha.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
yeah, agreed. 2021 Job 1 Lariat with tow package: I have a bendy line. Useful, sure, not mind blowing and wouldn’t take 3 pages of the owners’ manual to explain.

Does anybody have the system described on page 439 of the owner’ manual?
——————-
“HOW DOES TRAILER HITCHING ASSISTANCE WORK
Trailer hitching assistance uses the following to detect your trailer:
• Rear view camera.
• Radar.
• Parking aid sensors.
• External rear lighting.
This feature also controls the following to align the hitch ball with the trailer coupler:
• Steering.
• Shifting.
• Braking and acceleration.”
————————

I’m talking about the owners’ manual that you get through the app that is the latest version. I assumed that later versions had corrections, not that they were describing things that weren’t even available. How else do people have the owners’ manual? I didn’t get a paper copy.
What version of the manual do you have? I have the'22 owners manual that I downloaded and there is no reference to a Trailer Hitching System in the downloaded manual on P. 436-439.

Edit: I pulled up the '21 build 2 owners manual and found your reference. Looks like tech writers got the memo before publishing the '22 manual.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
What version of the manual do you have? I have the'22 owners manual that I downloaded and there is no reference to a Trailer Hitching System in the downloaded manual on P. 436-439.
It's on pages 415-417 (419-421 of the PDF) of the 2022 Manual. I posted earlier.

Yes, because some aren't is looking at what OP is asking about from the manual:

1655074511314.png

It is talking about an automated system that was mentioned in the article I posted.

1655074570927.png

1655074611212.png
How else do people have the owners’ manual? I didn’t get a paper copy.
https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle/f150/2021/owner-manuals/

There's also searchable HTML version, that I believe is basically the one embedded in SYNC in the truck.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
FYI and FWIW, my 2022 F150 delivered a few days ago included a sealed package separate from the owners manual in the glovebox. That package includes the hard copy "Pro Trailer Backup Assist Quick Guide" and a set of 6 'target stickers' as described in the latest PDF Owner's manual linked above. The stickers are in a pocket at the back of the printed guide booklet.

I can view all of the rear cam views described in the posted video, 'long view' with guidelines and 'close down view' of the hitch.

My truck specs and build chronology are in my sig-block below, I do have the trailer backup assist knob on the dashboard.

Yours may differ, build date may be important, but as far as I'm concerned Ford delivered as promised. (y) :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steyreo

Steyreo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@hotrodmex , thanks for posting those pages.

Not mad that I don’t have that autonomous hitching system, just wanted to confirm what I thought was the case. Definitely seems similar to the trailer backup camera that was advertised but not pre-wired in most trucks. I mean, another example of things not quite being ready.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
It's on pages 415-417 (419-421 of the PDF) of the 2022 Manual. I posted earlier.

https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle/f150/2021/owner-manuals/

There's also searchable HTML version, that I believe is basically the one embedded in SYNC in the truck.
Aha...found it there; thanks! Wonder if it needs the active park assist feature for it to be functional. I will give it a try when/if I get possession of the truck I ordered tomorrow. There are a lot of conditions necessary to be met before it will work properly so doesn't sound like it is very user friendly if it is available on any trucks.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I mean, another example of things not quite being ready.
I fell like this is a gimmicky party trick, so of things put on the chopping block, I can see why this was when 'it hit the fan.

To use it you had to be basically in line with the trailer already anyway!

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I have a 22 KR PB with Max Tow and all cams and bluecruise and Pro Trailer Backup. It came with the Stickers, but I bought (and use) the YAW sensor. The function is in the 2022 manual (pg 415 as other's have said).

Mine does NOT do that function. When unhitched, as soon as I hit the Pro Trailer button it asks me to select trailer. I select my trailer (though it's not connected), then it says Sensor Not Detected. If I put it in reverse and start to back up, it tells me to stop as the Pro Trailer Backup is not working, as there is no sensor detected (or maybe it say no trailer detected).

So there is no "Trailer Hitching Assistance" function.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Methinks that folks are confusing the role of the stickers / yaw sensor.

Those play no role in "hitching", they only play a role in the "Trailer Backup Assist" function (where the angle of the already hitched trailer relative to the truck is used to predict the effect of steering input on the path of the calibrated trailer while backing).

'Hitching assist' only consists of the cam views and superimposed guidelines seen as one approaches the un-hitched / un-connected trailer along with the 'radar' proximity alarms.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steyreo

Steyreo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Methinks that folks are confusing the role of the stickers / yaw sensor.

Those play no role in "hitching", they only play a role in the "Trailer Backup Assist" function (where the angle of the already hitched trailer relative to the truck is used to predict the effect of steering input on the path of the calibrated trailer while backing).

'Hitching assist' only consists of the cam views and superimposed guidelines seen as one approaches the un-hitched / un-connected trailer.
@Buyer2021, just to clarify, we now know that “hitching assist” consists of that but at one point was expected to do much more. See above.

I think that @BLoflin ’s post was really helpful. That is what I was looking for. If any truck would have had that system described in the manual (again, see the pages above from @hotrodmex), then that KR with max tow and 360 cameras, etc. would have had it. My truck acts the same way when I press the button in reverse and without a trailer connected. My conclusion is that the Oct. ‘21 version of the manual describes something on page 439 that has never existed.

Again, unless I’m misunderstanding something or somebody has a system that works like it says in the manual. That would be interesting but I suspect not.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Wow, this really DOES sound like a cool "party trick" that I would love to try. I've been just using the rear cam and guide dotted line like some kind of dumb cave man.

I agree 100% with @BLoflin on what happens when you press the pro trailer button without the trailer connected yet. I also have a King Ranch with every tech bell and whistle and max tow, though it is a Job1 '21.

I had always thought the button (and knob) was strictly for "pro trailer backup" but the referenced manual above seems to indicate it has (or was intended to have) dual-functionality: Pro Trailer Backup when trailer connected and sticker/sensor found, or Trailer Hitch Assist when no trailer connected yet.

EDIT: I should also add that I do have the "active park assist" feature that is another party trick only. But adding that because I know the chips/modules required for it are no longer in some more recent trucks. So having that doesn't get you the hitch assist feature, as someone had hoped in an earlier post.

texski

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 King Ranch Super Crew, 1997 Lariat Super Cab
Occupation
Retired
I have a 22 KR PB with Max Tow and all cams and bluecruise and Pro Trailer Backup. It came with the Stickers, but I bought (and use) the YAW sensor. The function is in the 2022 manual (pg 415 as other's have said).

Mine does NOT do that function. When unhitched, as soon as I hit the Pro Trailer button it asks me to select trailer. I select my trailer (though it's not connected), then it says Sensor Not Detected. If I put it in reverse and start to back up, it tells me to stop as the Pro Trailer Backup is not working, as there is no sensor detected (or maybe it say no trailer detected).

So there is no "Trailer Hitching Assistance" function.
You got Stickers?!
My dealer provided the Yaw Sensor and I am grateful.
But my BLIS is disabled when I connect the the trailer, even though I have stored the parameters.
22 KR 601A build date 12/02/21 w/o Blue Cruise.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
You got Stickers?!
My dealer provided the Yaw Sensor and I am grateful.
But my BLIS is disabled when I connect the the trailer, even though I have stored the parameters.
22 KR 601A build date 12/02/21 w/o Blue Cruise.
I would imagine you have stickers in the little pamphlet in your glove box. No I didn't get a YAW sensor, and Ford Parts/Accessories did not show them as available. Got one off Ebay.

texski

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 King Ranch Super Crew, 1997 Lariat Super Cab
Occupation
Retired
I would imagine you have stickers in the little pamphlet in your glove box. No I didn't get a YAW sensor, and Ford Parts/Accessories did not show them as available. Got one off Ebay.
I'll have to check that packet, thanks.

The part number for the eBay Yaws were superseded. In Feb the new kits were $750.
Sponsored