First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
What needs to be changed in ForScan? Is there a thread just for this somewhere?
Post #25 has a link to another thread with the Forscan changes.
Sponsored

dhageremtp

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Healthcare
What needs to be changed in ForScan? Is there a thread just for this somewhere?

This was in the forscan thread

APIM 7D0-01-03
Original was 524D-23E5-3FC1
Changed to xxxx-xxFx-xxxx
ABS 760-03-01
Original was FB20
Changed to xx3X
IPMA 706-01-01
Original was 8A50-A219-AE52
Changed to xxxx-xx5x-xxxx

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I believe you, so I agree that we may need to rethink the assumption that the APA chip is required for PTHA. My experience (and my experience only) leads me to believe that it is. Plus, as @Snakebitten points out, logically it makes sense that a chip needed to move the vehicle for APA would be used for PTHA as well. But it's possible that there are programming-related changes that I'm not aware of that might have happened coincidentally in the background at the same time as my IPMA installation which caused me to "blame" the APA chip for the PTHA activation. Your experience opens up that path. And if you reinstall your '23 IPMA and get it working again, then that should prove it (though I'm not asking you to do that--that's a lot of work for you to "prove" something that you already know is correct...especially to a bunch of anonymous people on the internet).

If that's the case then, which module(s) would control the PTHA?
Yea, I'm one that has overcome every obstacle except the missing chip. You and others have provided me with the solutions to "triggering" the autolaunch of the front facing cameras when the truck approaches an obstacle. That feature was disabled, possibly not intentionally, when Ford decided how to program this truck around the missing IPMA chip.
Of course the only Official feature that Ford states (Mulroney) is deleted is the Park Assist, and I'm assuming they tasked the software folks for a quick work around, which resulted in the camera launch nix unnecessarily.

I also followed the clever pioneers on the ProHitchAssist Forscan edits and got pretty excited about how it appeared to work right up to the last stage where it faults at steering the truck autonomously.
A few of my fellow 2022 members that got this far as well, went on to replace the IPMA with the 2021 that has the chip, and thus had success with the ProHitchAssist retrofit!

So I can clearly see why consensus was formed the way it has.

But......... If it's true that a 2023 F150 can have functional ProHitchAssist WITHOUT the IPMA chip, then it's entirely possible that Ford has figured out a second method of enabling the feature and it is currently buried in the software secrets of the 2023 trucks. Similar to Bluecruise 1.2 being hidden in software that has proven to work with 2021 hardware?

asouza68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platnium
Yea, I'm one that has overcome every obstacle except the missing chip. You and others have provided me with the solutions to "triggering" the autolaunch of the front facing cameras when the truck approaches an obstacle. That feature was disabled, possibly not intentionally, when Ford decided how to program this truck around the missing IPMA chip.
Of course the only Official feature that Ford states (Mulroney) is deleted is the Park Assist, and I'm assuming they tasked the software folks for a quick work around, which resulted in the camera launch nix unnecessarily.

I also followed the clever pioneers on the ProHitchAssist Forscan edits and got pretty excited about how it appeared to work right up to the last stage where it faults at steering the truck autonomously.
A few of my fellow 2022 members that got this far as well, went on to replace the IPMA with the 2021 that has the chip, and thus had success with the ProHitchAssist retrofit!

So I can clearly see why consensus was formed the way it has.

But......... If it's true that a 2023 F150 can have functional ProHitchAssist WITHOUT the IPMA chip, then it's entirely possible that Ford has figured out a second method of enabling the feature and it is currently buried in the software secrets of the 2023 trucks. Similar to Bluecruise 1.2 being hidden in software that has proven to work with 2021 hardware?
All good info. My buddy and I bought the exact same 23 at the same time. I'll see if the PHA works on his, which I assume will. It could be a number of things. Maybe there are two chips, one chip that controls the rear cameras and functions, and other that controls the front cameras. Maybe the IPMA has the rear chip, and not the forward chip? APA would need both to be able to park, but PHA would probably only need the rear functions. Could be something like that? Who knows. I also think the "AI" aspects are key. Where do all the "learning" images live? How are those programmed in? If they don't get programed in, will the system still initialize?

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I think some people are confusing dynamic hitch assist. Dynamic hitch assist is automatically included on trucks with the class IV hitch receiver, this is the backup camera including the grey line that veers with steering input as well as the zoom function to point down at your hitch while you hook up. You do not need Pro-backup Assist or trailer tow package to have that feature. This new stuff is a different deal.

Last edited:

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
After reading this thread a half a dozen times, it looks like I should be able to enable hitch assist on my 21 Lariat since I have a 21 IPMA. It's a 500a with the options below.

Tow technology package.
360 degree camera
Integrated trailer brake control
Co-pilot assist 360 2.0
w/o parking assist.

Is there equipment I'm missing here??? or will simply making the forscan edits below enable hitch assist? My current as built matchs exactly the "original" as listed below.

APIM 7D0-01-03 Original was 524D-23E5-3FC1
ABS 760-03-01 Original was FB20
Changed to xx3X
IPMA 706-01-01 Original was 8A50-A219-AE52

sp468

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
After reading this thread a half a dozen times, it looks like I should be able to enable hitch assist on my 21 Lariat since I have a 21 IPMA. It's a 500a with the options below.

Tow technology package.
360 degree camera
Integrated trailer brake control
Co-pilot assist 360 2.0
w/o parking assist.

Is there equipment I'm missing here??? or will simply making the forscan edits below enable hitch assist? My current as built matchs exactly the "original" as listed below.

APIM 7D0-01-03 Original was 524D-23E5-3FC1
ABS 760-03-01 Original was FB20
Changed to xx3X
IPMA 706-01-01 Original was 8A50-A219-AE52
I think it has to do with the parking sensors in the bumper. I made the forscan changes and the hitch assist works up to the point the truck takes over to back up. It errors out

i have a 21 with co pilot assist 2.0 so I have 4 parking sensors front and rear bumpers. I think with active park assist (APA) you have 6 sensors front and rear. Maybe you don’t need APA for pro trailer hitch assist to work but I think you need the 6 sensors.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Have you tested it yet BDDaddy?
No, I haven't made the forscan changes yet. I guess my question really is, does the truck have all of the prerequisite equipment to make it work in the first place? I think it does? 🤔 but not sure.

Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think it has to do with the parking sensors in the bumper. I made the forscan changes and the hitch assist works up to the point the truck takes over to back up. It errors out

i have a 21 with co pilot assist 2.0 so I have 4 parking sensors front and rear bumpers. I think with active park assist (APA) you have 6 sensors front and rear. Maybe you don’t need APA for pro trailer hitch assist to work but I think you need the 6 sensors.
Thanks, I only have 4 sensors front and rear. I guess I have to do some more research here, in the forscan thread.

EDIT
It maybe a stupid question, but does your truck have the tow technology package? 🤔

Last edited:

dhageremtp

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Healthcare
Thanks, I only have 4 sensors front and rear. I guess I have to do some more research here, in the forscan thread.

EDIT
It maybe a stupid question, but does your truck have the tow technology package? 🤔

Good questions to ask, but I think at this point no one has narrowed down exactly what features are needed to make it work, a couple have posted they got it to work without APA others are suggesting you need it.

Give it a shot and see if it works and report back, it will help to focus in on trims and features that are compatible to make this work.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
No, I haven't made the forscan changes yet. I guess my question really is, does the truck have all of the prerequisite equipment to make it work in the first place? I think it does? 🤔 but not sure.
I recommend making the forscan changes and testing it out. The worst case scenario is that you get an error, and then you can undo those forscan changes. It's a relatively low-risk test to find out.

sp468

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

EDIT
I don’t have the tow technology package but I do have everything included in it (360 camera, etc).

It looks like a Ford engineer has been doing demos of pro trailer hitch assist at the New York auto show. She said it is available now on the 23s and will be available on pro trailer backup assist trucks via an OTA update. Her name is Jennifer Shaw,. I’ve tried sending her an email at what I think might be her @ford.com address but it keeps kicking back as undeliverable. She could probably tell us what are the requirements to add it to pre 23 trucks.

dhageremtp

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Healthcare
I don’t have the tow technology package but I do have everything included in it (360 camera, etc).

It looks like a Ford engineer has been doing demos of pro trailer hitch assist at the New York auto show. She said it is available now on the 23s and will be available on pro trailer backup assist trucks via an OTA update. Her name is Jennifer Shaw,. I’ve tried sending her an email at what I think might be her @ford.com address but it keeps kicking back as undeliverable. She could probably tell us what are the requirements to add it to pre 23 trucks.

go to the 2:00 minute mark
Sponsored