Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Some of us (e.g. me) didn't even get a recall notice. In my case I bought my truck off the lot and installed the brake controller myself, and I'm sure there are others who did the same thing.

When I called the Ford customer service number, I asked the Ford representative several questions, including: (1) why is it that I didn't get a recall notice; and (2) doesn't Ford have a legal or at an least ethical duty under the circumstances to notify me (and similarly situated others) that my truck may have the problem? But rather than provide any kind of substantive reply to any of my questions, she just kept repeating the refrain: "the recall doesn't apply to your VIN."
I installed mine also.
When the update is available it will show for your truck in fdrs.
Sponsored

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
There is one other possible outcome that I am loathe to mention because I don’t believe it and there’s no evidence to support it. But whiskey tango foxtrot—I’m bored. By pure dumb luck, Ford managed to fix the trailer brake failure with the February release even though that was not the intention of the software when they wrote it. Here’s why I don’t believe it:
So many posts on this subject I can't remember where all the information is sourced. There has been at least one report of someone with the February TRM update that reported problem still persists. Unfortunately I can't find it right now.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Last edited:

JScaro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat 501.5A
Occupation
Beer Drinker
I installed mine also.
When the update is available it will show for your truck in fdrs.
I installed mine also.
Prior to doing the update to fix the DTC when I pushed the + / - buttons it showed the increase and decrease gain and now it doesn't.
Those who have a working brake controller - does your trailer gain show whether you're hooked up to a trailer or not?
Just want to know if I need to go back and reprogram / PMI my controller.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I’ll have to check mine. I think mine shows still but sometimes you have to press it a couple times or squeeze the brake controller and then press it

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I installed mine also.
Prior to doing the update to fix the DTC when I pushed the + / - buttons it showed the increase and decrease gain and now it doesn't.
Those who have a working brake controller - does your trailer gain show whether you're hooked up to a trailer or not?
Just want to know if I need to go back and reprogram / PMI my controller.
Mine does.

But the update definitely broke other stuff for me. It no longer retains the BLIS setting for the trailer length between ignition cycles and if I recall correctly from my last trip it didn’t automatically pull up a prompt to select a trailer profile when I first connected the 7-way.

I’m not sure if you would have these functions or not with a post-purchase brake controller install.

Last edited:

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
This thread is confusing. The posts that are themed, "I did it myself," are probably helpful to that crowd, but how about us poor slobs who have to rely on a dealer to update the module software? This thread has said two things that are useful: the update is not available yet and make sure the dealer doesn't use an old update (February?), which is not a fix,

Well, I called my dealer yesterday because I now have two recalls on mine, this one and the wiper motor, and I wanted to get their thoughts about the software availability. Imagine my surprise when the service advisor said they have the software. I asked if they had done the recall on any trucks, and the answer was yes, several.

So, how do I know if they have the correct update? How can I check to see if the fix worked?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
This thread is confusing. The posts that are themed, "I did it myself," are probably helpful to that crowd, but how about us poor slobs who have to rely on a dealer to update the module software? This thread has said two things that are useful: the update is not available yet and make sure the dealer doesn't use an old update (February?), which is not a fix,

Well, I called my dealer yesterday because I now have two recalls on mine, this one and the wiper motor, and I wanted to get their thoughts about the software availability. Imagine my surprise when the service advisor said they have the software. I asked if they had done the recall on any trucks, and the answer was yes, several.

So, how do I know if they have the correct update? How can I check to see if the fix worked?
The confusion is because when the dealership looks up your VIN in Ford's database, they WILL see an update available for exactly the module in question.

This is literally what they see:

Ford F-150 Recall: REPROGRAM INTEGRATED TRAILER RELAY MODULE (Campaign/NHTSA#
22S17/22v193) auromed.PNG

So they would assume it is the necessary update. There's nothing to tell them that it isn't.

That screen is for my 2022 Powerboost that just arrived at the dealership today. So you would certainly think that an update that is already available for a truck built on 4/11 must be brand new hot off the press?

Yet the file(s) in that update are not the DH files, but rather the BB files.

According to reports, that's not the TSB update

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired auto engineer

Translate please - DH, BB?

Sponsored

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
The last two characters of the version that addresses the recall fix is DH. BA or BB are previous versions.

D11EA243-2DF8-4B93-8293-EE7205F9719C.jpeg
Can this line/code be viewed in Forscan? Would someone mind posting some instructions how to navigate to this module and see the current version number? I have the software and connection dongle...

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Can this line/code be viewed in Forscan? Would someone mind posting some instructions how to navigate to this module and see the current version number? I have the software and connection dongle...
Yes, it can. Go to the top icon that looks like a car (Vehicle and Interface Information), click on Modules tab, scroll down until you get to TRM - Trailer Module. The software version is the last line of the block and is called “Strategy.”

blackhawkrider

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F-150 PowerBoost
The confusion is because when the dealership looks up your VIN in Ford's database, they WILL see an update available for exactly the module in question.

This is literally what they see:

auromed.PNG

So they would assume it is the necessary update. There's nothing to tell them that it isn't.

That screen is for my 2022 Powerboost that just arrived at the dealership today. So you would certainly think that an update that is already available for a truck built on 4/11 must be brand new hot off the press?

Do you know if once the update from FDRS is completed does that automatically closed out the recall? Or does the dealer need to do so on their end? For instance, if someone completes this themselves, will the recall status change to being resolved?

Thanks!

rpeterslll

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
IT Professional
Do you know if once the update from FDRS is completed does that automatically closed out the recall? Or does the dealer need to do so on their end? For instance, if someone completes this themselves, will the recall status change to being resolved?

Thanks!
It appears that the dealer closes out the recall notice. I updated this module weeks before the dealer attempted to do it, and they said I had the latest version, and then the recall notice disappeared within a week after they addressed it. Of course I do not have the proper version installed, and now the recall is cleared, so I assume they did something.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost

Thanks!
I honestly don't think anyone can answer this question yet, since the recall update isn't in play. At least not yet.

Theoretically, the whole cloud/truck infrastructure should automatically recognize that the vehicle is up to date. Since the truck reports to the mothership in the cloud and provides the "AsBuilt" values that are currently onboard, then the server would know the truck had the "DH" (or whatever is appropriate) version of the TRM module and would know the truck has had the recall procedure performed.

All this automation will work much better in the future than it currently does, in my opinion. This is all SO NEW and quite the deviation from the previous model of service and Oasis record keeping.
Sponsored