Sponsored

F-150 vs. new Tundra

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2022 F150 701A (Ordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Maybe? I have to say the newer Ram 1500's are a pretty good looking truck.

Might even say they look a smidge nicer than the '22 F150 sport I ended up with.
I'd agree. The RAM is a damn good looking truck, IMO. I'd give it the slight edge in looks over the F150, but the features are lacking.
Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I'd agree. The RAM is a damn good looking truck, IMO. I'd give it the slight edge in looks over the F150, but the features are lacking.
Agreed. The features we use the most are what sold us on the F150.

That and I felt the low end torque of the EcoBoost would make towing our RV a breeze.

How ever, two features the BigHorn level 2 offers that the XLT 302a does not is auto 4WD and a heated steering wheel... Those both would have been nice for winter.

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer

That and I felt the low end torque of the EcoBoost would make towing our RV a breeze.

How ever, two features the BigHorn level 2 offers that the XLT 302a does not is auto 4WD and a heated steering wheel... Those both would have been nice for winter.
FC seems to place more of their features on the lower trim levels which is nice, but I agree. I went with the Powerboost for our travel trailer towing, so much torque and the 7.2kw generator built in is a killer feature.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
This.

I sold my 2019 RAM with the 12" touch screen because of the features on the F150 Powerboost. But the RAM was/is a great truck.

Sponsored

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA

thats a large reason I went for the lariat trim. The AWD ability is pretty clutch during on road inclement weather.

gendibal

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: 2022 F150 Platinum PB

Exact reason I didn't pull the trigger on a Ram in April when I started getting nervous. The PowerBoost and ProPower have no competition.

Now if only my 150 would get offloaded from the traincar and delivered to the dealer...

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer

IMO, steel body panels rusting trumps that.

My sons 2018 Ram already has rust bubbles on body panels

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
thats a large reason I went for the lariat trim. The AWD ability is pretty clutch during on road inclement weather.
Agreed. It is. That was high on my list really actually and the one thing I'm bummed I didn't end up with.... Being in Canda there's inclement weather like 8 months out of the year...

I couldn't justify going from a 302a to a 501a to the tune of an extra $8,000. If Ford offered the 500a Lariat in Canda... maybe the difference wouldn't be so large?

I was also trying to keep options down to keep payload up. Ended up at 1,777.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IMO, steel body panels rusting trumps that.

My sons 2018 Ram already has rust bubbles on body panels
I would agree with that as well. Another point in my mind for the Ford.

Man us Tod /Todd's are smart.....

Sponsored

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
I would agree with that as well. Another point in my mind for the Ford.

Man us Tod /Todd's are smart.....
So smart.

• Haha
Reactions: 780

IzzysAuto

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Roush F-150, 22 Genesis GV70, 12 Nissan GTR
Occupation
Law Enforcement 29 years
I agree with you Todd I just sold a 2022 Ram 1500 Limited. Only 2 things I liked about it were the stereo system and the interior. Other than that the air ride suspension sucked and i had the 3.92 gear and my best mpg over 8K miles was 16.9

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I looked at the Ram and the Tundra before deciding to buy an available F-150. The problems with the Tundra include its terrible access to the bed of the truck which was marginal on the old trucks but made worse with the body work of the new model. The F-150 has by far the best tailgate arrangement if one wants to get into the bed of the truck without a step ladder.

The Toyota does not have any option for a limited slip differential but provide an anti-spin rear where the rear brake is applied to the faster spinning wheel. It also has only the one V-6 engine.

With Ram it is nearly impossible to find one that has the large factdory gas tank. Even the dealers that order the tow package on a 4WD truck omit this option and the standard tank only holds 26 gallons. With the current federal regulations the factory gas tank cannot be replaced with an aftermarket one and companies like Titan no longer make them.

Ram does have the option for a true locking rear differential and they do have an excellent 4WD package that is better than that from Ford. The tailgate that is a $2,000 Ram option is no better than the one provided on the Ford and in some ways not as good. The Ford tailgate is very well designed and often overlooked by truck review people.

The key difference though with Ram is that there is only the single etorque V-6 engine. The e-torque adds complexity and is very expensive to replaced the unit when it does fail. The Ram 1500 trucks also have coil springs at the rear axle and I much prefer standard leaf springs. Ram does provide the option of the air suspension but I never have wanted more complexity and stuff to break when I am exploring far off the main highways. It is also a concern when towing a boat or camper trailer.