Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
Hi all,
Fairly new to this forum and trucks in general. Talk about drinking from a fire hose (my last vehicle was a 2010 Sienna whose sliding doors are now manual and also have a used 2004 Honda Element in 2006 whose locks no longer work, to put things in perspective).

I realize a “Gen14” forum might be a little biased, but what were some considerations for getting a 21 F150 vs older models? From what I see, the following at a minimum are available in Gen14 only:
- 360 camera (might be super useful for me and the wife driving a much larger vehicle)
- hybrid option - very interesting, and may need to go with it depending on what I want for towing; 2.7L seems to result in a limit for towing because max towing pkg is unavailable with it)
- propower (2kwh unless hybrid: 7.2kwh!) - very cool option, especially for camping
- driver assist stuff (not a lot of highway life predicted so wouldn’t miss this)
- anything else?

I ask because that new car cost is eye-watering tbh, especially for trucks. Roughly, I can probsbly get a 2-3yo Lariat with a few more niceties for the same cost of XLT with minimal needs.

And finally: truck vs SUV.
All jokes about SUV’s aside, I do like the internal volume and potential for 7-seats (for The larger ones, like Kia Telluride): greater internal volume per $ (unless you add a cab to the truckbed). And the Telluride is about the same dimensions and turning radius as the Sienna, so parking and maneuvering is better. Costs are roughly same for new (mid-level Telluride is about C$5k less but jumps to $10k less if I choose a hybrid F-150).
On the flip-side, not sure I feel as strong that the AWD’s on many SUVs would be up to snuff for backroads (my Elements AWD has never helped me when I’ve needed it in the snow, tho it’s much older); the towing cap is generally less, payload is generally less, mileage is no better if not worse (!), and (kinda silly but) I hate cleaning cars so having the freedoms to throw sh&t into the bed for various errands is tempting. Currently the Element is my vehicle for bring things to dump and it’s a pain to keep clean (and Elements are the easiest vehicles to clean, bar none!).

Many thanks!
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I ordered my pickup
I was pretty specific in what I wanted and was not about to be sold something I did not want

I wanted an 8 ft Supercab v8 4x4
Did not want a bunch of glittery toys inside, but needed a couple of creature comforts.

I ordered a 20, but was too late so just rolled the same features into a 21.

the truck I wanted would not be found on any lot anywhere, so it was ordered

163” sure does make for a nice ride, but a pain to park