2022 Tundra

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Jeep Rubicon LJ, 2018 Toyota Tacoma
There has been a bit of chatter today on the forum concerning what members might do if their trucks get pushed back into mid 2021. Although it will not be available until later into 2021, Toyota may be planning on introducing the 2022 Tundra in February. Top line engine is thought to be a Twin-Turbo V6 Hybrid with similar HP/LBS to the Powerboost. Looks like Toyota is going to be the first to step up to the plate and challenge Ford.

OP

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Jeep Rubicon LJ, 2018 Toyota Tacoma
30mpg? Is that realistic given the HP & Torque #s?
[/

Yes, theoretically. Toyota could build a truck that relies heavily on the electric motor(s) and perhaps even plug-in hybrid technology. If I am not mistaken, the Prius has a button to put it into electric-only mode. It won't go terribly far that way, but a truck would have a lot more space to pack in batteries and extend that range if they wanted it to run electric only. All that being said, whatever they build will likely fall in the same range as the Powerboost at 24mpg.

GABAR

First Name
P
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Well, it’s about time Toyota updated the Tundra.

Yawn.

GABAR

First Name
P
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
There has been a bit of chatter today on the forum concerning what members might do if their trucks get pushed back into mid 2021. Although it will not be available until later into 2021, Toyota may be planning on introducing the 2022 Tundra in February. Top line engine is thought to be a Twin-Turbo V6 Hybrid with similar HP/LBS to the Powerboost. Looks like Toyota is going to be the first to step up to the plate and challenge Ford.

Ummmm, what chatter and on what forum are people having concerns about their new 2021 F150.

Any 2021 F150 that’s ordered will get here before the 2022 Tundra and the people who ordered a 2021 F150 will not suddenly change to the new Tundra.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch F150 PowerBoost; 2020 Lexus RX350; 2016 Dodge Challanger Hellcat
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran

Interesting, I had not heard they would offer a hybrid.

For that kind of Mpgs, it would need a much larger battery than Fords I would think. That would mean a good bit more weight and they don't have aluminum body panels.

Will be interesting to see for sure.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
The guy making a couple of repairs on my K1500 is close with one of the Toyota R&D guys.
I’ve been informed that Toyota is doing a complete redesign for 2022.
I’ve not seen any buzzing around out here ( I’m rural and Toyota is just down the street)
Haven’t seen anything in the little corporate building’s parking lot either.
That lot is not blocked from view by a berm like the rest of the factory and supplier buildings are.

Advertisement

Advertisement