Sponsored

F-150 vs. 2022 Chevrolet Silverado

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Hi everyone, SG reporting in.

I got the chance to swing by a Chevy dealer that had a few of the new 2022 Silverados and thought I'd take a look at it to see where it stands against the F-150 and its key rivals.

In my personal opinion, this new Silverado looks a lot easier on the eyes than the pre-facelift model. The new design is a lot more cleaned up, and the overhauled interior is WAY ahead of it's preceding design. I think this update really helped Chevy catch up with Ford, Ram and Toyota.

The models of the Silverado I found were:

A Custom Trail Boss:
Ford F-150 F-150 vs. 2022 Chevrolet Silverado IMG_20220509_193627390_HDR

An LT:
Ford F-150 F-150 vs. 2022 Chevrolet Silverado IMG_20220509_193621008

And a nicer LTZ. (It's also next to the Custom if you didn't notice):
Ford F-150 F-150 vs. 2022 Chevrolet Silverado IMG_20220509_193652663_HDR

Here's a pre-facelift Silverado for reference:
Ford F-150 F-150 vs. 2022 Chevrolet Silverado IMG_20220509_193639364

What are your thoughts? Did Chevy do enough for this update? Or is there something still missing? Let me know what you think!

-SG
Sponsored

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
Not a huge fan of the Silverados, but could have ended up in a refreshed Sierra if we weren't in these supply constraints. There's no way I could order a truck without at least test driving a version of what I ordered. Luckily I was able to do that with a '21 Powerboost.

Then on top of that, I didn't care for the 5 GMC dealers in town. Closest one charged a $5k ADM, two required a $1500 ceramic coat (which I didn't want bc I'm going to PPF), the fourth never returned my call, and the fifth told me they couldn't even order the truck. I believe the fifth was clueless. Including the mark ups, I would have to fork out $8-10k to order a Sierra vs a similar spec F150 since I got Z pricing.

I'm happy with my choice.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
No way i will spwnd that much money on a chevy that will be rusted in 6 yrs.

Shocked RAM and GM refuse to go aluminum.

Sponsored

Nevadajack

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Explorer, 2015 Ford F250, 2022 Ford F150
Occupation
Plumber
Side mirrors on the actual door body seems odd on a truck. :unsure:

Simon11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 502a
The GM interior refresh was badly needed. The exterior still probably my least favorite of the full size trucks but it is improved and with the right equipment is decent. Like some others above I prefer the GMC look to Chevy and if their refresh was actually available I would have at least looked at the time.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
The GM interior refresh was badly needed. The exterior still probably my least favorite of the full size trucks but it is improved and with the right equipment is decent. Like some others above I prefer the GMC look to Chevy and if their refresh was actually available I would have at least looked at the time.
Spot on.

Also, great avatar.

Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Yeah. The Tundra was redesigned this year, and from what I've heard, it's a massive improvement over the old one in terms of refinement and technology.
Hard not to be with how antiquated the 2021 is. Had 35 less hp and nearly half the gas mileage as my 2021 PowerBoost! And that interior...

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
in my trade magazine a few years ago GM did tons of areo work and wind tunnel time to get the vented lip thing at the bumper to work well enough to actually create a good air blanket across the front wheels to help with drag... sad part is ....its fugly as you know what, and people hated it. the refresh addressed the dumb vent thing look
it looked like a storm trooper from star wars

then the whole GM was not made from alum, ads, bit them in the ass. because for about 7 years the hood was alum, and when the new design came out, so where the doors and some other elements, along with new high strength steel to save pounds and still be strong
ford took the leap and went whole hog after 7 or more years or alum hoods and many parts , including some trucks as fleet with alum beds. all three (ram, gm and ford) have spent tons of money in new materials to loose weight and gain strength .
what we need, is more designers that actually have to drive what they design and be forced to look at them for days on end. i liked the look of my 21 super duty, it was sharp for a big truck and i like the design of the 150 as well.. we are lucky to be able to choose and spend our money on what makes us happy.

MallCrawler

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Maxima, 2022 Tremor on order
Last one looks like someone slapped a 90s era body kit on a Camaro 🤣

BIGSTUF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 XLT Powerboost
Silverado facelift?…

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
I've looked quite a bit at the 22 Silverado's as well as 22 F150's. For me, its honestly a coin-flip (should I ever decide to buy... put off my purchase plan for the time being as my current vehicles tick-along w/ grumbles).

From what I've read/researched/played with options on-line:
Looks: to each their own, but I think they both look good. Different but good.
Exterior: I really like the Chevy multi-flex gate option. People who have it and reviewed it all rave about it. Seems worth the cost/weight.
- even without the flex-gate, the rear bumpers have steps built-in, whereas the F150 does not.
- I'd heard that GM paint was comparatively bad, but all the year+ rvws on Silverado's have reflected very few complaints (other than rock-chips)

Interior: haven't tried either out in-person but both seem nice. Hear lots of complaints about "GM seats" but having done most office work from wooden kitchen chairs during pandemic, I don't think I'll mind either, lol.
- I like that Chevy offers rear-seat armrest in lower trims than Ford
- F150 rear-area is completely flat, Chevy's have a bump in the middle
- also like that Chevy has rear-power/vents coming from the center console with 40/20/40 fwd seat interior (whereas you seem to lose this in F150's?)
- both Chevy/F150 center console shifters seem gimmicky IMO. Chevy doesn't have a fold-down option but its still electronic.

Mechanics/capability:
- Chevy offers a 4A on lower trims than F150 (minor but ppl seem to really like 4A)
- Chevy's 3.0L Duramax gets RAVE reviews. Its had some hiccups but they seem to have a fix for most of the issues and people love their Duramax. In BC, the cost of diesel fuel is about 10% more than 87 (equal to 91/93); if you take into account DEF & add'l maintenance, the increased mileage makes up the cost difference for the diesel pretty quickly.
- F150 2.7L gets similar RAVE reviews (have't looked at the equivalent on the Chevy)
- F150 PB with 7.2 kwh propower is obviously in a class of its own - that option alone is super-tempting
- Quite a few ppl are concerned on the oil pump belt on Duramax but I think its fine - I work with a lot of similar machinery and I think you'll have wiring/sensor issues that will be FAR greater concern than that belt.
- capability: F150's seem to have slightly higher capacities. Chevy doesn't have its towing guide for 2022 1500's yet, but for 2021, you can spec out a F150 that's a BIT more capable than a Silverado (at similar price-points)
- capacities not-withstanding, some of the other 'niceties' I mention for the Silverado are available at lower trim levels/costs.
- F150's towing feature (using the knob to steer) seems pretty cool & don't believe its an option on the Silverado. Silverado does allow you to get a camera for rear of trailer, which I don't see on the F150
- Both have 360-deg camera & lighting options at the lower-trims, which seem quite useful
- F150's can be selected with max payload AND off-road pkgs; Silverado's cannot (you have to choose an off-road pkg OR max towing pkg, not both)
- even a non-Powerboost F150 has the ProPower option; I couldn't tell what the single outlet in the Silverado's is rated to, but I'm guessing its probably closer to 400W like on the non-Propower F150's)

Overall: its quite hard to compare like-for-like with so many trim/options available on both trucks. Best I could get on pricing comparisons(based on my personal preferences) for 4x4, "SCREW", short-bed and maxing out the payload/towing:
F150 XLT 2.7L w/ payload pkg < Silverado LT w/ diesel/max tow < F150 XLT Powerboost w/ max tow.
Sponsored