Sponsored

2021 hybrid transmission problems?

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
This is the connector directly to the hybrid battery according to the dealership. The new harness was supposed to be delivered yesterday and they're anticipating a couple of days to make the replacement. They know the factory is not sealing these properly, and personally if the contacts or fingers weren't melted I would be fine with reusing this one.
Any updates?
Sponsored

AaronA

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost & Max Tow Package
we got our truck last week after 1.5 months in the shop (just as long as we actually got to use it) - the last 'fix' to replace the entire wiring harness that connects to the hybrid battery / power system (i'm guessing it goes back to onboard power and up to hybrid transaxle given the shop had to remove the exhaust to get to portions of it) has solved the issue and seems to have improved the hybrid functionality a bit, staying in electric mode for longer.

Really happy to have to truck back but with the continued findings of poor factory quality control (the most recent circlip driveshaft recall) I'm still telling everyone to hold off for a year or two.

Overall I wouldn't trade the hybrid though, it's fantastic to have a truck in the city getting what a gasoline 4 cylinder sedan would MPG wise!

Image is from https://www.motorbiscuit.com/wp-con...-F-150-hybrid-powertrain-diagram-1024x544.jpg

Ford F-150 2021 hybrid transmission problems? 2021-Ford-F-150-hybrid-powertrain-diagram-1024x544

Last edited:

AaronA

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost & Max Tow Package
we got our truck last week after 1.5 months in the shop ...
Mileage continues to improve since the wiring harness / connector replacement. A trip last night through some hilly suburb areas yielded over 28MPG. Another trip through scenic highway with A/C and four adults yielded 29MPG. The electric mode stays engaged longer now.

For anyone having troubles with low mileage I would recommend having a dealer check out the connector cable to the hybrid battery.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Mileage continues to improve since the wiring harness / connector replacement. A trip last night through some hilly suburb areas yielded over 28MPG. Another trip through scenic highway with A/C and four adults yielded 29MPG. The electric mode stays engaged longer now.

For anyone having troubles with low mileage I would recommend having a dealer check out the connector cable to the hybrid battery.
Wow. What? 28-29 mpg? … what?!

OP
OP

prof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 hybrid powerboost
Well, I finally got my truck back after 2 times in the shop. The dealer ship had it for a total of 60 days. It appears the new transmission and wiring harness fixed the problem. I've had it back for two days and the transmission is shifting smoothly. I've taking it out the last 2 mornings while the transmission is cold (that's when it mostly likely would have the horrible down shifting) and driven it about 150 miles so far. So far so good. I will say the only thing that's annoying now is when you're taking off from a dead stop and the engine kicks in from the battery. There is a slight jerk. I don't know if this can be fixed with a software update or if this is just how it is. If you ease into the take off and get up some speed or just step on the gas pedal a little bit more, it almost goes away. Overall, I'm very pleased with the truck and can't wait to tow something with it.
You are extremely patient. After 30 days in shop and attempts to repair and replace the wiring harness, new transmission, etc. all failed, I requested a buyback which Ford approved within a few days (presumably since lemon law applied and they knew they had to). It then took two more months before I actually had a check in hand. I'm now on my second hybrid....so far so good.

Sponsored

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Mine isn't a PowerBoost but it's the same transmission. Mine sometimes downshifts hard when it's in 8th or 3rd gear. I took it to the dealer and of course the can't reproduce the problem. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does it makes a big clunking noise.

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine isn't a PowerBoost but it's the same transmission. Mine sometimes downshifts hard when it's in 8th or 3rd gear. I took it to the dealer and of course the can't reproduce the problem. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does it makes a big clunking noise.
While you share the guts of the 10speed 10R80 you don't have the electric motor or disengage clutch on the front of the engine. With that being said 8th gear and 3rd gear hard down shifts are present in previous years of this transmission, 8th gear down to any gear below is going from overdrive to underdrive which itself has a clunk because of the speed change, in my experience with the 2018 version of this transmission was 3rd felt weird anytime it was used when going down hill; be it accelerating or decelerating.

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Posted this in another thread but:
Had a very scary and interesting thing happen yesterday.

I was turning left onto a 4 lane main road that was not divided. The truck was in electric mode at the stop sign, as I started to turn left the truck shifted from 1 -> 3 and switched to hybrid mode, I was in the second lane of on coming traffic and the truck nosedives as if it stalled between electric and hybrid mode where it took what felt like 2 seconds to switch over to hybrid and accelerate. This was very alarming I felt like I was going to get broad sided and because of this I pushed harder on the accelerator so as soon as it was in hybrid mode the truck revved to 4000 RPM and took off like a bat out of hell.

Has anyone else experienced a stall of power between electric and hybrid modes when accelerating?

Very scary and not sure I can replicate the issue for a service tech... UGH!

artificial_airspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost Lariat 2WD

I was turning left onto a 4 lane main road that was not divided. The truck was in electric mode at the stop sign, as I started to turn left the truck shifted from 1 -> 3 and switched to hybrid mode, I was in the second lane of on coming traffic and the truck nosedives as if it stalled between electric and hybrid mode where it took what felt like 2 seconds to switch over to hybrid and accelerate. This was very alarming I felt like I was going to get broad sided and because of this I pushed harder on the accelerator so as soon as it was in hybrid mode the truck revved to 4000 RPM and took off like a bat out of hell.

Has anyone else experienced a stall of power between electric and hybrid modes when accelerating?

Hello, yes this scenario has been discussed here. I believe it’s due to the disengagement clutch within the hybrid module on the transmission. It may be sticking or not engaging right. I detail my experience similar to yours in this post.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/lag-then-quick-acceleration-from-electric-to-gas.2683/

ccwhaler

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Lariat. 2021 Lariat Hybrid
Transmission cooler leak is becoming a known issue for this model.
mine is in the shop Since Aug 6th.
here is what My dealer has shared with me.

“Good afternoon, we replaced the transmission cooler for the leak and upon remopval we found another leak from the transmission. The leak is coming from the front of the transmission (near the bell housing). This part is currently on a back order, we have placed an emergency order on this part. As for now we will keep you in the rental and keep you up to date on next steps
We will be looking for any further issues with this transmssion. From our aspect there is not many known issues for these trucks quite yet. Each one we see if different as the truck is so new. I will have the tech look further into the shifting issue once we have the leak resolved. We can check driving parameters of the transmission to see how it has been shifting. And as I stated before we will check for software updates as well. On a brighter note we heard back from hotline (Ford) on the cruise control and they have given us some next steps to resolve this. We will keep you up to date on what is going on.”

also found out Friday that the second part needed has been on back order for a month.
time to give them back my RAV4 $30,000 rental and get me something I am accustomed too. I am a bit put off that they can’t give me a loaner of a rental that I can tow with. I am not able to work since either. At least not as I would with my truck. Just rescheduling and juggling, like we need this, lol.
going to see If I can get a demo truck just to move my trailers around.
definitely not happy with current rental and with no parts or fix in sight, who knows how long I will be truckles!
other issues are with sync 4, Cruise speed jumps, and ground fault detection on test of onboard power.

oh well. I did expect this. Don’t like it but I have confidence Ford will make it right.

Sponsored

tail_ler

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
You are extremely patient. After 30 days in shop and attempts to repair and replace the wiring harness, new transmission, etc. all failed, I requested a buyback which Ford approved within a few days (presumably since lemon law applied and they knew they had to). It then took two more months before I actually had a check in hand. I'm now on my second hybrid....so far so good.
Are you able to give any insight on what steps you used to get Ford to buy your truck back? I just called them and started the process today. My truck seems to be on a similar path as yours. So far its got a new transmission and a new shifter assembly. The last I heard it still has two new codes they haven't diagnosed. Its been in the shop 8 weeks now.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Are you able to give any insight on what steps you used to get Ford to buy your truck back? I just called them and started the process today. My truck seems to be on a similar path as yours. So far its got a new transmission and a new shifter assembly. The last I heard it still has two new codes they haven't diagnosed. Its been in the shop 8 weeks now.
Step one:
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/lemonlaw.html
https://www.oag.state.va.us/consumer-protection/15-tips/158-lemon-law
Step two:
don't take advice from the Internet forums … : )

Good luck.
fwiw, my two cents, I'd rather have them swap me into a new truck rather than deal with a warranty enforcement (which will entitle Ford to laborious repair efforts.) I'd rather an amicable no-fault swap. That said, I don't know that Ford ever does this, but I've seen it happen for customers with another carmaker. Taxes can be a separate matter (there's no way to roll back the sale as such) so you'd need to understand the precedent the OAG VA cites (Subaru.)

Wilsons66605

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Power Boost Platinum, 2019 Raptor
Occupation
Retired

Wilsons66605

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Power Boost Platinum, 2019 Raptor
Occupation
Retired

I had it happen! Told dealership to update all the software and whatever else they can update. It fixed the problem.