Sponsored

2021 hybrid transmission problems?

prof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 hybrid powerboost
Anyone have problems with new hybrid shutting down completely with HEV-Hazard message for electrical fault (FordPass) but it's really a transmission problem? Mine had only 1500 miles and dealer service still hasn't found transmission problem.
Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Knock on wood mine has been perfect.

Gunny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat
OP
OP

prof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 hybrid powerboost

Sponsored

Barefoot

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Independent Insurance Adjuster
I test drove and bought my Powerboost on March 23rd. When test driving it, there were a couple of hard downshifts. I was told this was normal as the transmission had to "learn" my driving style. Since it barked the rear tires downshifting, I thought, "this isn't right. Surly Ford wouldn't be selling any of these if all of them did this." When we got back to the dealership, the salesman and a mechanic got back in it and drove it for a few miles. When they got back, the salesman said there was nothing wrong with it. I told myself that I would take their word for it and if there was something wrong, it was under warranty and I could just get it fixed. Major mistake on my part.

I had it 2 days before it threw a wrench. Ford Pass app said Power Malfunction. Reduce Power. I think it had just over 200 miles on it. It threw a wrench in my driveway when I was trying to put it into the garage. The engine didn't even come on during this. Also, as a side note, the trans was not downshifting correctly when I was driving it during this 2 day period. With the thrown wrench, I took it up to a Ford dealership that's closer to me. I bought the truck about 30 minutes away from the house. When I took it to the nearer dealership, the service guy was nice enough to take it for a spin with me and told me that it is an unusual transmission and that I needed to let it figure out my driving style for at least 1500 miles. It shifted ok during this test drive.

The next day, it threw the same wrench and code. I took it back to my nearest dealer for them to look at.

I'll stop at this point and fill you in on what I do. I'm a catastrophic insurance adjuster, which means that when storms hit, I have to go. If I don't go, I don't get paid. I have to have a truck for ladders and I spend about 6-8 hours/day in my truck as my office. When my truck threw the 2nd wrench, I was already committed to be in Birmingham the next day b/c they had a tornado outbreak.

I called the dealer I bought it from and told them the deal. They were nice enough to loan me a 2018 F150 so I could put my 28' ladder on a ladder rack in the bed plus all of my supplies.

I don't have the paper work on what they did at this point (b/c it's still in the shop), but I think they said it was the high pressure switch on the transmission. I could be wrong on this though. It took the dealer 13 days to get the truck back to me.

At this point, I'm working claims in my home state and I'm glad to have my truck back. I get the truck back on a Friday, no problems in the transmission on the 30 minute drive to my house. Saturday, Sunday and Monday, I'm running claims and put about 500 miles on it. Every day, when the transmission is cold, it would downshift like it had no idea what gear to go in. It would jump from 7th to 3rd. It would clunk and rattle the truck. This would only happen when it was cold. Even when it was warm, it still wasn't as smooth as it should have been, but far, far better than cold.

I called the dealer on that Monday and my service contact said to bring it in. I took it back that afternoon. That was April 5th. They loaned me an Explorer as that's all they had. I do appreciate the loaner, but I'm praying there are no huge/tall houses as there is no place for a 2 story ladder.

Since then, I'm not quite sure of what all they have done. They told me that they have been in contact with Ford and Ford has been giving the dealer different steps to try. They just tried the valve body and that didn't work. Once they did that, it threw another wrench with the same text from Ford Pass.

The dealer told me yesterday that Ford is sending a new trans and wiring harness. That should take 7-10 days to get in.

So, for those at home keeping score, as of 5pm on May 8th, 2021, I have had my truck for 5 days and the dealership has had it for 42, with another 10-14 days to go.

I've been in contact with FoMoCo several times. The person there has been nice, but I feel like there's not much she can do. My biggest complaint in the whole debacle is that I feel like I've been a lab rat. I feel like FoMoCo's techs are like, "well let's try this. Ok, lets try that. Well, what if we do this?" Look, I know we are imperfect people making imperfect products, but at some point, I need a truck that works. I can't do my job correctly and efficiently without one. If Ford wants make it a science experiment, fine. Get me another truck and they can have this one to figure out what's wrong on their dime, not mine. In the mean time, I need to get to work.

I will post updates when something changes.

AaronA

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost & Max Tow Package
Any Updates from anyone on this? Our truck first threw the "stop safely now" and FordPass showed the HEV Hazard and a Reduced Powertrain Output warning. Been in the shop since it failed ON OUR WEDDING DAY out on our land last weekend.
Failed on Saturday afternoon (mind you I had been using flawlessly every day of the week prior 90mi/day loaded with tools, some days trailer, other days the onboard generator as now power at the site).
Had it towed on Sunday (figuring out how to disengage the transmission via the lever under the steering wheel since the shifter electronically locked in park was plenty to keep me busy until the tow showed up 1.5 hours later); charged me $33 for a 7-mile overage (I was 45 miles from home, hate to see what 500 miles would mean)
Techs didn't really start messing with it until Tuesday
Wednesday they replaced the shifter in the console claiming it had fixed another hybrid a few weeks earlier with similar issues
Thursday they replaced the ABS controller
Friday the software update didn't help, and I finally got a loaner vehicle to tow my 20' trailer and compact tractor (they grudgingly loaned out a 5.0L V8 which got just as good highway mileage as the hybrid)
Can't wait to see what Monday brings. I will ask them about replacing the Hybrid Transaxle Controller as noted elsewhere here on the site.

Barefoot

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
I received word today, Friday, May 14th, that my new transmission arrived at the dealership. Unfortunately, when they went to unload it from the semi, the trans had fallen out from the shipping box, had been rolling around the truck and there was fluid everywhere. They ordered another one which puts this repair another week out. Ford was blaming the shipping company and the shipping company was blaming Ford. In the mean time, I'm the one still without a truck.

AaronA

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any Updates from anyone on this? Our truck first threw the "stop safely now" and FordPass showed the HEV Hazard and a Reduced Powertrain Output warning. Been in the shop.....
Can't wait to see what Monday brings. I will ask them about replacing the Hybrid Transaxle Controller as noted elsewhere here on the site.
2 weeks now without our truck, not really any progress and they've stopped giving me any meaningful updates. Early last week they replaced the main battery like that was going to do anything (I tried a hard reset disconnecting both batteries prior to calling ford for the tow anyway). I asked them to inquire on the hybrid transaxle controller but I'm guessing they haven't. How does ford not have any engineers who can analyze all the data these things undoubtedly record?

AaronA

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 weeks now without our truck, not really any progress and they've stopped giving me any meaningful updates. Early last week they replaced the main battery like that was going to do anything (I tried a hard reset disconnecting both batteries prior to calling ford for the tow anyway). I asked them to inquire on the hybrid transaxle controller but I'm guessing they haven't. How does ford not have any engineers who can analyze all the data these things undoubtedly record?
Final issue the service crew is tracking down is "powertrain malfunction / reduced power". They believe it is a wiring harness issue with connections not being fully sealed from the factory, ford engineer said three other cases of this happening. They are opening all plug connection s and inspecting to find the bad plug and will order the new harness if found.

I've asked them to perform the windshield recall work while they have the truck for the third week.

Sponsored

Barefoot

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Well, I finally got my truck back after 2 times in the shop. The dealer ship had it for a total of 60 days. It appears the new transmission and wiring harness fixed the problem. I've had it back for two days and the transmission is shifting smoothly. I've taking it out the last 2 mornings while the transmission is cold (that's when it mostly likely would have the horrible down shifting) and driven it about 150 miles so far. So far so good. I will say the only thing that's annoying now is when you're taking off from a dead stop and the engine kicks in from the battery. There is a slight jerk. I don't know if this can be fixed with a software update or if this is just how it is. If you ease into the take off and get up some speed or just step on the gas pedal a little bit more, it almost goes away. Overall, I'm very pleased with the truck and can't wait to tow something with it.

AaronA

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Final issue the service crew is tracking down is "powertrain malfunction / reduced power". They believe it is a wiring harness issue with connections not being fully sealed from the factory...
Sorry for the slow updates, just as bad as ford at this point with expedient responses. The 'high' voltage connector to the hybrid battery showed some arcing marks on it been 1.5 weeks just to locate a replacement harness hoping to be in next week. Over a month without our hybrid now, coming up on being in the shop just as long as we got to originally use it for.

Ford F-150 2021 hybrid transmission problems? Connector_overview.PNG

Ford F-150 2021 hybrid transmission problems? Connector_detail.PNG

oldschool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 escape, '04 f150, '03 fjr1300, 21 xlt PB 2wd
Occupation
retired
Sorry for the slow updates, just as bad as ford at this point with expedient responses. The 'high' voltage connector to the hybrid battery showed some arcing marks on it been 1.5 weeks just to locate a replacement harness hoping to be in next week. Over a month without our hybrid now, coming up on being in the shop just as long as we got to originally use it for.

Connector_overview.PNG

Connector_detail.PNG
Does this connector plug directly onto the battery? Do you suspect water had gotten into it? I'm thinking maybe sometime I should inspect mine. I hope Ford makes it right for you.

Wilsons66605

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Power Boost Platinum, 2019 Raptor
Occupation
Retired
I got my truck in Feb. and haven’t driven it much…just over 3000 miles.
The tranny shifts very hard.
When flooring from a dead stop, the truck hesitated for 3sec before it decided to go. This has happened twice now. I would be dead if this happens when crashing a busy hiway.!

I am making a list of stuff I need fixed before I take it in for 1st service.

AaronA

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does this connector plug directly onto the battery? Do you suspect water had gotten into it? I'm thinking maybe sometime I should inspect mine. I hope Ford makes it right for you.
This is the connector directly to the hybrid battery according to the dealership. The new harness was supposed to be delivered yesterday and they're anticipating a couple of days to make the replacement. They know the factory is not sealing these properly, and personally if the contacts or fingers weren't melted I would be fine with reusing this one.
Sponsored