First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
My truck was making some hard shifts (low speed up-shifts and freeway speed downshifts) but nothing too severe.
During the 10,000 mile first service, I asked them to work on the trans.
They did two things:
1) apply a software update as part of a service bulletin for the transmission (something to do with "cables" … does this trans even have shift cables?)
2) reset/erase all transmission "learning"
From the moment I drove away from Service, I could feel it was fixed (or at least greatly improved.)
After four days and a lot of the stop-start traffic that caused harsh shifts and hesitation in the transmission, now it's running as smoothly as you'd expect from an $80K+ truck with a 10 speed and a hybrid torque-fill motor and, and …
Auto stop-start is now working smoothly (in Eco or Normal mode) but there's still some hesitation as it shifts from Electric to Hybrid sometimes.
Anyway, if you're going in for service, make sure they get the transmission tech to apply the updates and clear the learned data.
Sponsored

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
My truck was making some hard shifts (low speed up-shifts and freeway speed downshifts) but nothing too severe.
During the 10,000 mile first service, I asked them to work on the trans.
They did two things:
1) apply a software update as part of a service bulletin for the transmission (something to do with "cables" … does this trans even have shift cables?)
2) reset/erase all transmission "learning"
From the moment I drove away from Service, I could feel it was fixed (or at least greatly improved.)
After four days and a lot of the stop-start traffic that caused harsh shifts and hesitation in the transmission, now it's running as smoothly as you'd expect from an $80K+ truck with a 10 speed and a hybrid torque-fill motor and, and …
Auto stop-start is now working smoothly (in Eco or Normal mode) but there's still some hesitation as it shifts from Electric to Hybrid sometimes.
Anyway, if you're going in for service, make sure they get the transmission tech to apply the updates and clear the learned data.
Does your paperwork show a TSB # or anything to tell my service dept?

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
Does your paperwork show a TSB # or anything to tell my service dept?
I would really like to know as well as my Powerboost is in for transmission service right now. Some of these shifts are so violent if I didn't have a seatbelt on I might come out of my seat.

I know TSB-21-2407 deals with upshifting. But, I've seen this problem occur on downshifts too. Something to do with the hybrid motor and the torque being applied from it and the 3.5 cylinder is causing some extremely violent shifts.

I have no idea how to get this demonstrated to the dealer either. It's like there's rocket science, and then there is this. Both are literally indescribable to fellow humans.

I drove my dads 2018 3.5 cylinder ecoboost and it shifts buttery smooth. Wish I could have that.
Even when breaking I notice the truck lurches forward dramatically at times as it tries to negotiate the electric motor.

What a crazy way to drive. This transmission is special.

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, 2022 F-150 Limited Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
I take my 22 Limited PB into service tomorrow due to harsh shifting. Took it in 2 months ago and they ordered a new tranny, then backed out, they had put a new tranny in another truck and it did not fix the problem.
Something mine is doing in normal mode, is coming to a stop and it stays in 8'th gear. I can work around the problem by locking out 8,9 and 10'th gear or by using tow/haul mode. Although still have harsh downshifts though.
Truck only has 5k on it and I hope it gets resolved this trip...

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If it's hanging in 8th gear at a stop, has the dealership confirmed this?
Because they don't believe anything you tell them. They must experience it themselves.

I might be confusing symptoms, but that gear hang is one of the symptoms that fellas that need a transmission auxiliary pump have reported?

If you drive in tow-haul, which keeps the motor running and the main transmission pump pumping, does it remedy the gear hang at a stop?

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
They did not drive mine, just read the computer and said a replacement. They ordered it after Ford ok'd it then changed their mind. Now saying a software fix, should only take a day or 2.
In tow/haul mode it seems to drive just fine, so I am hoping for the best!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Software isn't going to fix that auxiliary pump. It seems Ford got a rash of faulty ones.

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
I agree 100% after reading other folks' inputs, so I will inquire about that tomorrow also.
Thanks for your inputs!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good luck!
But I wouldn't recommend starting any sentence with "I read on the internet" 🤣

Maybe something more like "other dealerships have been finding defective transmission auxiliary pumps are the culprit because they can't provide the necessary fluid pressure during auto stop/start or EV events"

That's why tow-haul seems to be a work around for the problem. No need for auxiliary pump pressure.

Sponsored

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
Thanks for the suggestion, I really appreciate the input!

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
I take my 22 Limited PB into service tomorrow due to harsh shifting. Took it in 2 months ago and they ordered a new tranny, then backed out, they had put a new tranny in another truck and it did not fix the problem.
Something mine is doing in normal mode, is coming to a stop and it stays in 8'th gear. I can work around the problem by locking out 8,9 and 10'th gear or by using tow/haul mode. Although still have harsh downshifts though.
Truck only has 5k on it and I hope it gets resolved this trip...
That sounds soooooo similar to my 2021.

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
Going to pick up the truck now, will update thread with what they say.....

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
Software isn't going to fix that auxiliary pump. It seems Ford got a rash of faulty ones.
You are a plethora of information, I really appreciate that.
When you say gear hang, is that in any way like the lag that I experience sometimes when pressing the throttle and nothing happens for a couple seconds? I get this sometimes when I'm in electric mode trying to transition into main engine power.

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
My '22 has been doing some hard shifting the passed 1500 or so. Nothing crazy and never had the issue of being in 8th gear at a stop. I may reset the shift tables to see if it goes away.
Sponsored