Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Bruce,
Wonder if you could help me trying to check trans fluid level in my 21 pb. The Helm service info on CD mentions a diagnostic mode to keep the engine running while checking the level. It says to connect my diagnostic tool, then select the different shifter positions with engine running. Then place in park. Then push start button to enter accessory mode. Then press brake and accellerator together for 5 seconds , then within 15 seconds, release accellorator and brake and
press brake and start button. Then press brake and accellerator together for 5 seconds. It says "ready to drive" should be flashing while in diagnostic mode and engine runs continually.
I did not plug in the diagnostic tool, but did everything else. The engine did start when I pressed accellarator and brake together and software rev limiter stopped it just short of 4k. There was no
flashing indication of being in diagnostic mode.
Have you tried this? Do you know what I'm doing wrong? Sincere thanks for anyone that can shed light on this for me. Trans was warmed up when I tried this. I think it's all ok, just wanted to check for correct level.
I haven't tried to do so myself good sir, but here is the sequence from the service manual. Perhaps you can compare and confirm it's exactly the same as you read elsewhere?

I'm concerned that the procedure would require the motor to hit any kind of Rev limiter. I would think it might mention it if it was intended?

Ford F-150 2021 Powerboost High Transmission Temp while on interstate Screenshot_20230819_210313_OneDrive

oldschool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 escape, '04 f150, '03 fjr1300, 21 xlt PB 2wd
Occupation
retired
This is certainly different from the Helm instructions. I'll try this tomorrow. Thanks for the info. I've always enjoyed reading your posts. Thank you so much.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Thanks for the kind words.
I hope you post success tomorrow! :)

By the way, I think the purpose for the "diagnostic tool" is simply to monitor transmission fluid temps.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
The 10r80 has a liquid/liquid heat exchanger.
No air flow involved.
True but somewhere there is an air to liquid cooler and if that's blocked or restricted. Also the liquid side could be restricted... either on the transmission side or the Low temp circuit side...
Sponsored