Sponsored

Lag then Quick Acceleration from electric to gas?

OkieCW

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost, 2017 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Attorney
Has anyone noticed their truck “lagging” a bit and then accelerating quickly after it shifts from electric to gas power?

I’ve had my truck since mid January and I’m starting to notice that when I’m in electric mode at low speeds and I need to accelerate a little more than normal, there is a little lag and then when the gas kicks in the truck wants to take off.

For example, when I’m at a complete stop or really low speed and need to merge into traffic or turn left on a busy street, the truck will slowly accelerate kinda lagging and then accelerates quickly after the gas kicks in. So as I’m driving and it happens, basically my thought process goes from “am I going to make it” to “do I need to slam on the brakes”.

If anyone’s had this happen I’d like to know how I can fix it, if it’s fixable.

Thanks!
Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
What drive mode are you in? Definitely doesn't happen in Sport mode for me.

OP
OP
OkieCW

OkieCW

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Normal mode

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
It happens to me as well in Normal mode. The first couple of times the lag was so bad and then the sudden acceleration nearly got me in an accident. I've gotten to the point to where I can feel it coming and if I need throttle I jam my foot down and then instantly back off to get the truck to accelerate.

Sports mode seems to eliminate all lag, it's my preferred mode for traffic or situations where I need the pedal to do exactly what I say it should.

I don't know how to fix it. Since it doesn't do this at all in Sports mode, I think this has to be adjusted via software.

OP
OP
OkieCW

OkieCW

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
It happens to me as well in Normal mode. The first couple of times the lag was so bad and then the sudden acceleration nearly got me in an accident. I've gotten to the point to where I can feel it coming and if I need throttle I jam my foot down and then instantly back off to get the truck to accelerate.

Sports mode seems to eliminate all lag, it's my preferred mode for traffic or situations where I need the pedal to do exactly what I say it should.

I don't know how to fix it. Since it doesn't do this at all in Sports mode, I think this has to be adjusted via software.
Thanks for the info and I’ll have to try what your suggesting next time I’m in the situation to keep it from lagging.
I tend to use normal mode around town for the gas mileage and these situations happen at irregular times so switching to sport mode at that instant doesn’t cross my mind. Would be nice if a software update could fix it.
Thanks again!

Sponsored

BigDezil

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
It’s dangerous, almost like it has boost lag but it’s not that. You could floor it and the time it takes to get a normal pedal reaction is the difference between being t-boned or making it safely around a blind corner and/or merging into traffic. I drive in normal to eco mode so I’d rather not have to change my driving habits to conform to a lack of OTA service updates from Ford. If I wanted to drive in sport mode all day I would have paid a little more and bought the Raptor. Out of all the electrical issues I’ve had this is by far the most dangerous.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Sport Mode definitely takes "EV" off the table as well as skipping 2nd gear, so I agree that the truck is a lot less busy with micromanaging and predicting and just acts like a truck should.

I also believe labeling that mode-strategy "Sport" is so misleading because it has nothing to do with being sporty, but rather it could be labeled "Normal" because it IS normal.

What is called Normal should be called something like Hybrid, or Eco, because that is what THAT strategy is.

I'm amazed at the power of a word. By labeling Sport Sport, I swear people will not use it when otherwise it is the perfect strategy for their preference or enjoyment.

I already mentioned it, but the so-called Normal mode, which really is just default mode, actually is much smoother and elegant if you have a minor load against the truck. Say a light trailer that tow-haul mode would be overkill. The only reason I can think this has such an influence is that it's just enough load for the torque request to get the truck to move off the line is automatically enough to disqualify EV starts. It's really nice and smooth regardless of throttle application.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I don't consider sport mode normal. The shift points are too high for DD use, it will downshift to maintain the engine in the power band, and it removes the ability to operate in full electric mode. Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider that to be normal for a hybrid, nor do I consider that shift logic normal unless you're racing.

Having driven in Sport, Normal, and Eco, I think they have them correct. Sport is all about power. Eco will go to all electric as quickly as possible and also upshift faster to keep the RPMs low, and will avoid downshifting. Normal is a blend of the two. The shift strategy could be better in Normal, but for most driving it is fine.

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I don't know if this is the hybrid as much as it's the transmission (or maybe the combination). I drove on a steep dirt road a couple days ago (+10% grade) and the truck felt like it was going to stall (like you would with a manual in too tall a gear) when hitting a steep grade before finally downshifting and then kicking up some dirt until the traction control calmed things down. I was in normal mode with 4H turned on. It was to the point I was legitimately concerned about stalling out on a steep and almost slowing to a crawl until mashing the gas finally activated "warp speed."

This happened a few times going up the hill. If I wasn't focused on the road I would have put it in manual and kept the RPM up a bit to avoid this situation, but perhaps Sport mode or one of the off-road modes would have helped as well. It does seem like a fix to the transmission shift mapping would help so hopefully software vs. anything else.

The one thing I did quite enjoy was the "hill descent control" on the way down. I set it to 15MPH and rolled on down in total control.

artificial_airspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost Lariat 2WD
I experience this lag as well, mostly only notice it in Normal / Eco drive modes. It almost feels like the transmission is being “clutched” but with only a partial engagement of the ICE. Then finally it’ll grab and go. It’s a weird driving characteristic that I hope will be eliminated with a Power Up OTA Update.

Sponsored

artificial_airspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just want to give an update on this potential issue. It’s certainly an odd behavior IMO.

This afternoon I was leaving the gym parking lot and needed to merge quickly across 2 lanes and into the flow of traffic.

I was in electric mode and stationary and I accelerated to about 30% throttle application and the ICE kicked in but didn’t feel like it was fully engaged with the transmission. All the while, I’m merging into oncoming traffic and I demanded about 75% throttle. The engine RPM went up to about 4500rpm but it was like nothing was happening. Essentially benign acceleration, what felt like how an underpowered car with a CVT would feel like. Revving high but not accelerating well….. All of a sudden it hooked up and took off as one would expect. This was not a loss of traction event or anything like that. Only thing I can think of is maybe the computer sensed excessive yaw with the ESP. No CEL’s or errors of any kind. I’m baffled.

I am not an alarmist but I can see how this could get a driver into an undesirable situation while driving defensively in congested traffic. I really hope Ford can provide some clarity on this behavior. I guess I should take it in?

artificial_airspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Harlemox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PB Platinum
I wonder if this is actually intended behavior, i.e. start the engine and allow it to run a little before putting a large load on it to prevent unintentional wear.

I definitely notice this as well, in normal mode, 1st gear always seems pretty dull and is when the ICE starts, but as soon as it shifts to 2nd and the ICE has been running for a little bit it takes off like a plane.

In sport mode if the engine is allowed to start for a little before mashing the gas i.e. pull foot off gas, wait a few seconds, then romp on it, the thing takes off like a fighter jet.

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
Posted this in another thread and @artificial_airspeed pointed me here:
Had a very scary and interesting thing happen the other day.
I was turning left onto a 4 lane main road that was not divided. The truck was in electric mode at the stop sign, as I started to turn left the truck shifted from 1 -> 3 and switched to hybrid mode, I was in the second lane of on coming traffic and the truck nosedives as if it stalled between electric and hybrid mode where it took what felt like 2 seconds to switch over to hybrid and accelerate. This was very alarming I felt like I was going to get broad sided and because of this I pushed harder on the accelerator so as soon as it was in hybrid mode the truck revved to 4000 RPM and took off like a bat out of hell.

Has anyone else experienced a stall of power between electric and hybrid modes when accelerating?

Very scary and not sure I can replicate the issue for a service tech... UGH!
I don't think driving in sport is the answer for this instance as when sport mode is engaged so too is 4 wheel drive, at least on my truck it is.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You can disable 4A in Sport with the touch of a button.
And 4A is only available in Lariat + trim, so not every Sport Mode Powerboost means 4A.

This truck certainly doesn't. And it will NEVER be able to put ~600lbs of torque to the ground at low speeds. Traction Control is always on its toes in that thing. :)

Ford F-150 Lag then Quick Acceleration from electric to gas? 20210813_135714
Sponsored