First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, 2022 F-150 Limited Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
Well I just picked my truck up after a software reset on the tranny (adaptive tables) and taking the long way home, the truck is shifting much better now! Only about 20 miles so I am going to keep my fingers crossed!
Going to run it in sport mode for a while with normal mode mixture but so far no 8'th gear hang ups.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You are a plethora of information, I really appreciate that.
When you say gear hang, is that in any way like the lag that I experience sometimes when pressing the throttle and nothing happens for a couple seconds? I get this sometimes when I'm in electric mode trying to transition into main engine power.
Thanks for the flattering words, but I'm just parroting what others report, as well as what Ford publishes in their service documention.
Admittedly, I spend too much time reading. :)

The "gear hang" that I was mentioning (specifically) is the one that others report. It's where the truck comes to a stop and the transmission is still in the gear it was in when the ICE previously shut off. At the time they began braking.

So if you are cruising in 8th gear and let off the throttle and begin applying the brakes, the Powerboost will almost inevitably shut the ICE down.
At that instant its the auxiliary pumps job to keep the transmission in the same state it is in when the ICE is running. That is, normal fluid pressure. The same line pressure as the primary gear driven pump creates.
But if the auxiliary pump can't/doesn't adequately provide normal line pressure, it appears the transmission can't operate the clutches and down shift as necessary.

So you are sitting at a stop. You apply throttle, ICE fires up, primary pump recovers pressure, clutch SLAMS into first from 8th.

Some describe it as feeling like being rear-ended.

It's possible that what you describe as being at least similar? You used the word "lag", rather than hung, but I guess it is possible that both issues are related to the 10r80 auxiliary pump not adequately providing the necessary fluid pressure to operate the transmission properly.

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, 2022 F-150 Limited Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
I am a 2 foot driver, and have been since age of 13, they told me again today I am out running the computer and need to change my habits as that has problems with the computer.
While I can change my habits a little I will have to see if that changes anything.....

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I don't know if I'm buying that.
Although even a healthy 10r80 can be a little quirky in certain circumstances, especially the Powerboost MHT version, it's actually a modern design and is managed by software commanded shifts that are near instantaneous. I doubt your driving style is catching it taking a nap. :)

Instead, I think there are real quality control issues. And it's as if it was designed with operating tolerances that intentionally accommodate a wide margin of variance.

There are currently 4 10r80 equipped F150's in the family fleet. I have driven them all enough times to witness the variation between them. It's not that any of them are faulty or are need of service or repair, but it's impossible to ignore how they discernably vary.

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
Thanks for the flattering words, but I'm just parroting what others report, as well as what Ford publishes in their service documention.
Admittedly, I spend too much time reading. :)

The "gear hang" that I was mentioning (specifically) is the one that others report. It's where the truck comes to a stop and the transmission is still in the gear it was in when the ICE previously shut off. At the time they began braking.

So if you are cruising in 8th gear and let off the throttle and begin applying the brakes, the Powerboost will almost inevitably shut the ICE down.
At that instant its the auxiliary pumps job to keep the transmission in the same state it is in when the ICE is running. That is, normal fluid pressure. The same line pressure as the primary gear driven pump creates.
But if the auxiliary pump can't/doesn't adequately provide normal line pressure, it appears the transmission can't operate the clutches and down shift as necessary.

So you are sitting at a stop. You apply throttle, ICE fires up, primary pump recovers pressure, clutch SLAMS into first from 8th.

Some describe it as feeling like being rear-ended.

It's possible that what you describe as being at least similar? You used the word "lag", rather than hung, but I guess it is possible that both issues are related to the 10r80 auxiliary pump not adequately providing the necessary fluid pressure to operate the transmission properly.
I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'm having this problem or tsb-21-2407. I can say that sometimes, when I take off from a start, or when I'm breaking, it seems like when the transmission goes up, or down to third gear... if I don't have my seatbelt on, I might come out of my seat. It's seriously jarring.

I hope it's just tsb-21-2407 because at least it is only software changes. The other TSBs are much more invasive, which worries me. Anytime they perform surgery on the truck it seems like something always goes wrong.

In any case, the "lag" issue I was describing is certainly different than what I am describing just above.

Wish me luck. :)

Sponsored

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
Just a quick update about this harsh shifting. I put my truck into my dealer on Jan 9th and they still have it in the shop. They flashed TSB-21-2407 (harsh upshift) and they said it wouldn't fix my issue of shifting so they flashed tsb-22-2224 (vibration/shutter). I honestly don't see how this relates at all.

Anyways, Both are quoted at 0.3 hours of work and the truck has been there nearly 3 weeks.
In fairness, they are also doing the wiper motor recall, and the steering wheel is faded pretty bad after a year of ownership (yowsers).
They are also flashing the APIM and IPC modules because the dashboard was reporting to turn in 0.0 miles while android auto was saying a different place to turn. And Android Auto was disconnecting constantly. The phone would disconnect too.

I've had a lot of problems with this truck (more that I haven't listed here).

So, even though it's a few things to replace, the total amount of time isn't supposed to be that much. I think the real world is hitting pretty hard for this dealer. They said they have 45 cars in for transmission issues and one transmission tech. That's why the truck is just sitting there.

I can understand that, but paying nearly an entire monthly payment for a truck for something like 2-3 hours of total labor time is a tough ask. 1st world problems I guess.

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
nd the steering wheel is faded pretty bad after a year of ownership (yowsers).
Not to get off of the original topic, but mine was fading or kinda of whitish for a while. After cleaning it with Griot's interior cleaner + horsehair brush, the white is gone.

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
Not to get off of the original topic, but mine was fading or kinda of whitish for a while. After cleaning it with Griot's interior cleaner + horsehair brush, the white is gone.
Awesome. How long did that last before you had to do it again? The dealer told me they are being inundated with fading on this wheel cover.

Thanks a million.

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
Awesome. How long did that last before you had to do it again? The dealer told me they are being inundated with fading on this wheel cover.

Thanks a million.
I did a full scrub of the interior 2-3 months ago, and it hasn't seemed to come back. That said, its also been cold and an unusual lack of sun in CO lately - so maybe it hasn't had a chance to come back yet.

Jombi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Just a quick update about this harsh shifting. I put my truck into my dealer on Jan 9th and they still have it in the shop. They flashed TSB-21-2407 (harsh upshift) and they said it wouldn't fix my issue of shifting so they flashed tsb-22-2224 (vibration/shutter). I honestly don't see how this relates at all.

Anyways, Both are quoted at 0.3 hours of work and the truck has been there nearly 3 weeks.
In fairness, they are also doing the wiper motor recall, and the steering wheel is faded pretty bad after a year of ownership (yowsers).
They are also flashing the APIM and IPC modules because the dashboard was reporting to turn in 0.0 miles while android auto was saying a different place to turn. And Android Auto was disconnecting constantly. The phone would disconnect too.

I've had a lot of problems with this truck (more that I haven't listed here).

So, even though it's a few things to replace, the total amount of time isn't supposed to be that much. I think the real world is hitting pretty hard for this dealer. They said they have 45 cars in for transmission issues and one transmission tech. That's why the truck is just sitting there.

I can understand that, but paying nearly an entire monthly payment for a truck for something like 2-3 hours of total labor time is a tough ask. 1st world problems I guess.
Very similar situation to what I'm in. Dealer has had it for 3 weeks and I can tell from the app that they haven't even powered it on. List of problems they're "looking at":
  1. Harsh shift
  2. Popping/screeching sound from B&O speakers (see other threads...)
  3. Wiper recall
  4. Driver assist faults
The service manager was everything but helpful. Finally had enough and called Ford and have a case opened up with them. Still waiting to hear back from them.

I totally relate to essentially donating money to Ford because I can't even drive it. Cherry on the top is the dealer closest to me doesn't give loaner vehicles unless you purchased the original vehicle from them. I didn't buy it from them because they wanted $10k over sticker.
Sponsored