First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Technology Consulting
So, this is the answer I got from my local Ford guy, doesn't exactly instill confidence in the answer, but I'm going to try to order another one from them (since my first online order got cancelled as it wasn't available for order). Likely going to make the owner guarantee they won't stick me with the $900 kit if it doesn't work as promised also.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Apparently this is a new question in the ford accessories world, but according to them as long as you have a chmsl (center high mounted stop light) camera then a customer placed trailer camera will work on your truck. My confidence in them being correct is not 100% just because it took several days and multiple ford accessories individuals with varying titles to figure this out. But the word from ford is it will work if you have the camera that looks into the bed.​
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
So, this is the answer I got from my local Ford guy, doesn't exactly instill confidence in the answer, but I'm going to try to order another one from them (since my first online order got cancelled as it wasn't available for order). Likely going to make the owner guarantee they won't stick me with the $900 kit if it doesn't work as promised also.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Apparently this is a new question in the ford accessories world, but according to them as long as you have a chmsl (center high mounted stop light) camera then a customer placed trailer camera will work on your truck. My confidence in them being correct is not 100% just because it took several days and multiple ford accessories individuals with varying titles to figure this out. But the word from ford is it will work if you have the camera that looks into the bed.​
I don't buy it. A 2-wire (likely I2C) in NO WAY POSSIBLE can support a live video stream. There are only 2 pins populated on the truck side of that proprietary round adapter plug where we are sticking in our yaw sensor (the same plug used by the TPMS+Camera). Check the pinout I posted a few posts back, talk to this technician again. I want to know how they expect a customer to undo the sheath to see if the other wires are even routed in the harness, and miraculously correctly seat them according to the pinout. You need at least pins 8,9,10 populated for the camera, and possibly pins 2,3.

If ANYONE has a superduty and can take a pic of the truck back side of that plug, we'd see a lot more wires populated (99% sure on this).

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
I wonder if we add the superduty harness for this plug, and enable something in forscan, we can get this feature working.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder if we add the superduty harness for this plug, and enable something in forscan, we can get this feature working.
Well, I'm hoping someone can take a pic of their current superduty harness on the backside before we can conclude the F150's are getting the short end of the stick. I know @Norris McCarty has one, maybe others, anyone can take a pic to confirm?

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, I'm hoping someone can take a pic of their current superduty harness on the backside before we can conclude the F150's are getting the short end of the stick. I know @Norris McCarty has one, maybe others, anyone can take a pic to confirm?
I think with the picture of only 2 wires going into the plug we can already conclude the F-150 got the short end of the stick for some reason.

I am just wondering now if we can enable it and add the wires. Or if there is other hardware involved that is missing as well

Sponsored

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What and where is the Yaw Sensor?
Is it included with the Max Tow Package on the 2021 F-150 ?
it comes in a bag with the truck I think usually in the glove box. And is included in the max tow package but think its actually part of the tow technology package.

Bellavance

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mercedes E300-4Matic and Ford F-150 on order.
it comes in a bag with the truck I think usually in the glove box. And is included in the max tow package but think its actually part of the tow technology package.
Thanks. Will I need the ML3Z-1A189E Kit to be able to use it with my Travel Trailer?
PS - My truck is still undelivered ...

Last edited:

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks. Will I need the ML3Z-1A189E Kit to be able to use it with my Travel Treailer?
I am still waiting on my truck too so can't really advise what it needed yet. I am following this thread myself hoping someone who already has their truck will chime in

Camptruck

First Name
Linus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2021 F-150 XLT Velocity Blue
Occupation
Project Manager
See this video from Ford on their trailer camera. It states that a bed camera is needed. (It also mentions ULTIMATE TRAILER TOW CAMERA, but I think this is a Super Duty option.) If Ford has gone to a digital system for their camera's with Sync 4 they could probably get away with two wires.

Having said that, if they only need two wires, don't understand why they would use a 12 wire connector.

Sponsored

Hambone

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport, 2011 F150
Occupation
Home Inspector
Thanks. Will I need the ML3Z-1A189E Kit to be able to use it with my Travel Trailer?
Short answer should be NO. That part number and harness is for the YAW sensor which I believe relates only to the Pro-Trailer Backup feature; correct me if I am wrong.

All you really need to tow your travel trailer is the 7 pin connector which they all should have; again, correct me if I am wrong.

Recently towed my trailer 1k miles, haven't had time yet to install/calibrate the Pro-Trailer Backup feature.

Ford F-150 Yaw sensor AND trailer camera together? 5

Drmadeit

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Cabinet guy
See this video from Ford on their trailer camera. It states that a bed camera is needed. (It also mentions ULTIMATE TRAILER TOW CAMERA, but I think this is a Super Duty option.) If Ford has gone to a digital system for their camera's with Sync 4 they could probably get away with two wires.

Having said that, if they only need two wires, don't understand why they would use a 12 wire connector.
I was thinking the same thing. Hell they could use one wire the information only needs to travel one direction.

Bellavance

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mercedes E300-4Matic and Ford F-150 on order.
Short answer should be NO. That part number and harness is for the YAW sensor which I believe relates only to the Pro-Trailer Backup feature; correct me if I am wrong.

All you really need to tow your travel trailer is the 7 pin connector which they all should have; again, correct me if I am wrong.

Recently towed my trailer 1k miles, haven't had time yet to install/calibrate the Pro-Trailer Backup feature.

5.jpg
I meant : Do I have to install the ML3Z-1A189E Kit to be able to use the Yaw sensor, the Trailer backup camera and the Trailer TPMS.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I will probably stick with my aftermarket unit that allows me to view the camera while moving. But I still don’t like the second display...so if they address that limitation then take my money!

What I really want now is TPMS to go along with the YAW sensor!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
What I really want now is TPMS to go along with the YAW sensor!
Which I think our trucks are not plumbed for :(

So I have a little digital screen for trailer TPMS, and would have to add ANOTHER screen for 3rd party trailer camera. What a pain!

(before anyone replies with I hAVe BaCkeD uP tRAilErS fOR 30 yEaRS!! yes we get it, you are so talented, but some of us like the option of additional information in addition to our talent. Thanks in advance)
Sponsored