don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Which I think our trucks are not plumbed for :(

So I have a little digital screen for trailer TPMS, and would have to add ANOTHER screen for 3rd party trailer camera. What a pain!

(before anyone replies with I hAVe BaCkeD uP tRAilErS fOR 30 yEaRS!! yes we get it, you are so talented, but some of us like the option of additional information in addition to our talent. Thanks in advance)
The build your own website showed a TPMS + Customer Installed Camera option, seemingly implying that the truck could support it. The question is did that change the wiring harness in the build.

Others have mentioned the camera requires a 12V source, so maybe the two wire interface is a serial digital bus that can have multiple devices and the camera sensor is powered locally.

We will just have to wait until the kits come out I guess.
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
The build your own website showed a TPMS + Customer Installed Camera option, seemingly implying that the truck could support it. The question is did that change the wiring harness in the build.

Others have mentioned the camera requires a 12V source, so maybe the two wire interface is a serial digital bus that can have multiple devices and the camera sensor is powered locally.

We will just have to wait until the kits come out I guess.
I love the optimism! It could be that those adding the TPMS in the B&P get a different harness, that's a great point.

I tried doing some research on yaw rate sensors and I just cannot figure out how this thing can work with only 2 pins. Typically these sensors have a CAN-H and CAN-L for communicating on the CAN bus, plus a power and ground pins. I'm baffled as to how the yaw sensor even works without 4 wires... UNLESS

Here's my new wild theory:

Look at the pinout I showed a few posts back. Pins 4-5 are the only 2 populated. However, every yaw rate sensor seems to need the 2 pin CAN bus. So my new theory is that this yaw sensor just receives power and ground on pins 4-5 and the CAN bus on our trucks is completely wireless. I think the CAN bus is simply a private wireless LAN now, for modules all over the truck.

Now an additional theory (and we'll have to see what the TPMS+Camera option has) is that it also is just a wireless module and somehow includes a passthrough power female socket for the yaw sensor. The TPMS+Camera module may be a repeater that collects the data from the camera then wirelessly transmits it to the truck's Sync, and it only needs power+ground from the socket, and that long ass wire from the camera.

Ford F-150 Yaw sensor AND trailer camera together? 1618373927623

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
I have set-up the pro-trailer backup as I am a novice at backing up a travel trailer. My airstream is 16ft so backing up is less forgiving angle wise. I can certainly back up without it but it could take several back/forth iterations in certain situations. The pro-trailer should definitely help cut down on the number of iterations.

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
Just came across this video which clearly points out the optional trailer camera and the sync 4.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I'm very interested in this also (both trailer cam and trailer tpms), and more than a little concerned about the lack of wiring in that super special connector....

So I have a theory. I searched for everything I could find on those PN (included the A, B, C, D) which have been around longer. And ending up in Super Duty forums, etc for previous years (eg. 2018...).

And even though in those cases it was a different connector, but separate from the 7pin Tow connector, what it seemed to be is there was a fully wired cable with a dust cover plug that terminated up under the bed (you had to drop the spare tire down to access). Then in the accessory kit was a cable to plug there and then come down to the hitch receiver area to plug in the TPMS/Camera cable.

So maybe that is what is happening on the new 2021 F150 with the new Yaw Sensor. You get a higher wire count cable to meet up with a terminated cable under the bed to hook to the back of the connector, or replace the 2 wire cable.?.....??

I do NOT believe it is wireless (why would they have a started usage of a new 12 pin cable connector for interface). And I know you it can not piggy back all of the required interfaces into the 2 pins people are seeing. But also strange some are seeing 4 wires. And also, there was no way to specify in your build that you wanted support for those accessories (except the YAW sensor which is part of the trailering options packages, i.e. Max Tow, etc.)

But, I'm also afraid, especially since there is basically NO information on these new accessory parts (with sub pn code of E and F), that this is a screw up on the Ford designers and then didn't get the in truck cables released correctly to support the full connector. Hope not.

Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
So post script. Anyone who has their 2021 already and is interested in Trailer Cam a/o TPMS want to crawl under their truck and see where that 2 pin cable routes to toward the front of the truck (you may need to drop your spare tire). If you can trace it back to another connector somewhere between the front of the truck and the back, then see if you can get a pic of that connection and whether there are 12 wires on connector coming from the front of the truck....

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
So has anyone figured out anymore on this? I traded in a 2020 Silverado and I am going to be very upset if the F150 does not have these features that the Silverado did and I was expecting my F150 to have.

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
So has anyone figured out anymore on this? I traded in a 2020 Silverado and I am going to be very upset if the F150 does not have these features that the Silverado did and I was expecting my F150 to have.
I think most of us are still waiting on our trucks. If I ever get mine I will do more research but without it in hand there isn’t a whole lot to be done.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I'm still going with the wireless bet. Which means the older superduty TPMS/camera part number will not work in our '21 F150s if it relies on wired CAN bus or video pins. There are tons of super cheap wireless CAN bus modules that hop on private 15.4 XBee or Zigbee networks, all the module would need is 5V (or 12V). They can easily put that in the little black box like our yaw sensors.

Re-use of the connector makes sense to me so there isn't a whole new sheath they have to fab, they just populate the wires as needed.

It's the only thing that makes sense to me, way more sense than promising some equipment and then having to re-wire all the trucks already sold with only those power+ground pins wired.

Last edited:

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Does that explain how the TPMS will work ?

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Does that explain how the TPMS will work ?
TPMS monitors after market are all BLE (bluetooth low energy) to some control box, but I don't know what the Ford ones do.

The TPMS in each tire should broadcast data to the black box, and that should relay it onto the truck's wireless CAN bus.

All the black box needs is something like the qualcomm tri-band wireless module that only needs power and the software inside does the rest. https://developer.qualcomm.com/hardware/qca4020-qca4024/modules

Jcartwr97

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Technology Consulting
TPMS monitors after market are all BLE (bluetooth low energy) to some control box, but I don't know what the Ford ones do.

The TPMS in each tire should broadcast data to the black box, and that should relay it onto the truck's wireless CAN bus.

All the black box needs is something like the qualcomm tri-band wireless module that only needs power and the software inside does the rest. https://developer.qualcomm.com/hardware/qca4020-qca4024/modules
I’m hoping but not holding my breath on it. drmadeit posted on the first page of this thread that he has one of the kits and it doesn’t work. Haven’t seen anyone else get one yet, but I wouldn’t put it past Ford to mess it up and require an additional whip of some sort to the plug. Still trying to source one but everyone I’ve checked with says they’re not available yet.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I’m hoping but not holding my breath on it. drmadeit posted on the first page of this thread that he has one of the kits and it doesn’t work. Haven’t seen anyone else get one yet, but I wouldn’t put it past Ford to mess it up and require an additional whip of some sort to the plug. Still trying to source one but everyone I’ve checked with says they’re not available yet.
If you watch this guy's install videos, in the superduty there is by default a wiring harness safely tucked away near the trailer plug, above the spare tire. To put his receptacle that has the round 12 pin proprietary connector, he had to attach this dangling harness to the receptacle on the backside as in this vid (). It has way more than 2 wires.

At about 2:20 of this vid you can see his cable. It splits into the TPMS module and the camera module. Each have at least 4 wires to it. So the superduty version DEFINITELY needs all the wires populated.

If ANYONE is able to procure the '21 F150 specific TMPS+Camera we can see if they now only require 2 wires (power/ground) to operate.

If @Drmadeit got a hold of the version for superduty then I think the camera will have no where to send signals as the wires are just floating at the 12-pin round connector. I would love to see what colors the wires are in @Drmadeit's version. I think TPMS needs pins 2-5 and not sure which ones feed to the camera split.

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
I will probably stick with my aftermarket unit that allows me to view the camera while moving. But I still don’t like the second display...so if they address that limitation then take my money!

What I really want now is TPMS to go along with the YAW sensor!
I am thinking about these lines but need to decide soon… It is very important to be able to use the trailer camera when moving forward, for changing lanes, etc. Do we know that Ford aux camera will not let you do that?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I am thinking about these lines but need to decide soon… It is very important to be able to use the trailer camera when moving forward, for changing lanes, etc. Do we know that Ford aux camera will not let you do that?
Go look at the superduty forums, so many complaints and people asking if you can forscan it and last I checked (few months back) no one has found a hack.

So for driving and changing lanes I will just rely on my telescoping mirrors, and for parking my wife is my backup cam. And I already have trailer TPMS. I was mainly just researching to help others.
Sponsored