Yaw Sensor and Boat Trailer

GigEm

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I’m trying to set up Pro Trailer Backup Assist on my ‘21 KR, but I’m having trouble finding out if the yaw rate sensor (mine didn’t come with stickers) is suitable for the tongue of a boat trailer. I haven’t seen anything saying it’s waterproof, only that mud, dirt, and debris can affect its life span. Would I be better off ditching the sensor and getting some stickers? I have no idea if I can even use those on my system.
Sponsored

clipperqb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 3.5 EB, Super Crew, 4X4
I’m trying to set up Pro Trailer Backup Assist on my ‘21 KR, but I’m having trouble finding out if the yaw rate sensor (mine didn’t come with stickers) is suitable for the tongue of a boat trailer. I haven’t seen anything saying it’s waterproof, only that mud, dirt, and debris can affect its life span. Would I be better off ditching the sensor and getting some stickers? I have no idea if I can even use those on my system.
I installed mine on the winch stand. Worked great.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I believe another user found that submerging it killed it. I don't remember who it came from or when but it lodged in my brain as a reason that stickers should be supported.

towpro

First Name
will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat Powerboost
I can't picture getting my boat trailer far enough in the water that the front of the trailer is in the water, but maybe its a sailboat or something.

my trailer has this rough paint on it so I picked up an oatey steel safety plate at lowes, bent it to fit around the tongue of my trailer and used an existing hole to bolt it to the tongue. Than put my decal on this smooth plate.

Last edited:

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I installed the yaw sensor on my trailer initially, but found that using Pro Trailer functionality is actually a distraction since you find yourself looking at the screen and not at the entirety of what it going on while backing in a trailer. The only useful aspect of it for me is when hitching up since it helps get the hitch aligned correctly. Once the trailer is on, I back it in the "old school" way.

Sponsored

towpro

First Name
will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat Powerboost
I agree with Rick, but it is a "new toy" so I had to hook it up, but it works real well. I was backing my boat down the road, around the cultisack and back up the street backwards. Work pretty good.

Ford F-150 Yaw Sensor and Boat Trailer 82001867

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The only good feature about the trailer backup assist is that it will do all of the wheel spinning for you when you're trying to get it perfectly into a spot. Otherwise it's a bit distracting. Don't submerge the sensor and keep it protected. Does the current gen still work with the stickers? They're a lot cheaper and won't malfunction.

They screwed up with the trailer camera option by using the one in the stoplight for the bed with its narrower field than the fisheye cameras used elsewhere --- not that it does you any good with a boat.

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
I installed the yaw sensor on my trailer initially, but found that using Pro Trailer functionality is actually a distraction since you find yourself looking at the screen and not at the entirety of what it going on while backing in a trailer. The only useful aspect of it for me is when hitching up since it helps get the hitch aligned correctly. Once the trailer is on, I back it in the "old school" way.
How does the yaw sensor help you get the the hitch aligned correctly prior to actually hitching up?

I have the yaw sensor on my trailer, and I like it better than stickers because I don't have enough room with the propane tanks for the stickers. But I've never used it for lining up the hitch. I know the bending black line is there but it was before I picked up the yaw sensor (I bought it after).

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
How does the yaw sensor help you get the the hitch aligned correctly prior to actually hitching up?

I have the yaw sensor on my trailer, and I like it better than stickers because I don't have enough room with the propane tanks for the stickers. But I've never used it for lining up the hitch. I know the bending black line is there but it was before I picked up the yaw sensor (I bought it after).
I was referring to the useful aspects of Pro Trailer Backup, not the yaw sensor.

lawduck1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Powerboost XLT on order
Isn’t there an update that allows you to use the stickers?
Sponsored