Sponsored

Pro Trailer Backup - yaw sensor kit? No one seems to know what this is.

mragadorspartacus

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 3.5EB, Guard Green two tone
Occupation
IT Director
My 2021 F150 came with the Pro Trailer Backup Assist w/ Trailer Reverse Guidance feature, however, the yaw sensor kit (the sensor you attach to your trailer) did not come with the truck. I asked my dealer about it, and they don't know what I'm talking about. I've called other dealers and they keep asking me "do you mean the stickers?". I keep telling them that the older model trucks use the stickers, but the newer ones use the sensor kit. Or the new models can also use stickers, not too sure about that.

Anyway, I'm trying to buy the dang sensor kit, but I can't seem to find anyone that can give me the part number(s) of what I need. Just to prove that I'm not crazy, this is the kit that I'm looking for:
Ford F-150 Pro Trailer Backup - yaw sensor kit? No one seems to know what this is. 1646404747804

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!
Sponsored

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 502A
Occupation
Builder
I have that kit and it's much better than the sticker setup. Came with the truck so I'm not sure why you don't have it. I ordered max tow and assumed that it was included.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The kit was included with both the sensor and stickers when I got the truck. Just have the Trailer Tow Package - 53A. The way I understood it, this was for the trailer backup system.

EDIT: I also have the plug below the trailer plug for this sensor. What version of firmware is needed for the stickers to work? Can you pick which system to use on each different trailer if I have more than one?

Last edited:

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
This is pretty well documented on the forums, yet dealers aren't always in the "know" about it for some reason.

Anyway, depending on when yours was built, you could have the kit or the stickers. Early built trucks came with the kit because software for sync 4 wasn't ready. Later built trucks came with the stickers because they had the right software. Eventually early built trucks will get the software update to use the stickers.

Mine came with stickers, but I bought a kit on ebay. I have yet to try it because its too cold, but the frame on my trailer doesn't allow for a lot of room for the sticker, so I wanted to try the kit. I haven't pinned the entire harness out of the truck yet to be sure it will work, but as far as I can tell it should, and I also have read as much. Not 100% sure but I think the steps are to plug in the yaw sensor prior to setting up the pro trailer backup stuff so it recognizes your using the sensor instead of the stickers.

Read the thread here about trailer tpms updates, there is a lot of information in there.

I'm not surprised that some don't know about the kit, my dealer (also a personal friend) did not know about it. I have yet to check behind the back seat where the fuel filler stuff is located for the kit, but I doubt it is there.

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oops, I forgot. The part number of the kit I bought on ebay was LC3T-14G621-AD. Hope that helps.

Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Here is the kit you need. I found this info on f150forum.com. However, your truck may not have come with it,it may have the stickers and they should be in your glovebox with the trailer backup directions. Later trucks built in July or so have the updated software to use stickers and not the yaw sensor. Hope this helps you.

Ford F-150 Pro Trailer Backup - yaw sensor kit? No one seems to know what this is. 65FE9109-C08C-4A2A-B8A8-5FAE27786AD6

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
If you have Tow Pkgs with Pro Trailer Backup Assist you have in your truck either Stickers (will be in with all the manuals) or the Sensor and cable (might be hidden somewhere in your truck (under/behind the seats, etc).

If you have neither your dealer owes one or the another to you.

Note, my 2022 (built in Dec) came with ONLY stickers. Manual says I'd have to buy the Yaw Sensor as an accessory if I want it.

OP
OP
mragadorspartacus

mragadorspartacus

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
OP
OP
mragadorspartacus

mragadorspartacus

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
Here is the kit you need. I found this info on f150forum.com. However, your truck may not have come with it,it may have the stickers and they should be in your glovebox with the trailer backup directions. Later trucks built in July or so have the updated software to use stickers and not the yaw sensor. Hope this helps you.

65FE9109-C08C-4A2A-B8A8-5FAE27786AD6.jpeg
This is great to know. Mine was build in November, so a very late 2021. It may have gone back to the stickers.

serinjune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 3.5L EB FX4
I hope you were able to get this resolved and get it in use. The yaw sensor is really great for backing up and makes life much easier. I've never used the stickers, but I'm very glad I have the sensor!!

Sponsored

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I hope you were able to get this resolved and get it in use. The yaw sensor is really great for backing up and makes life much easier. I've never used the stickers, but I'm very glad I have the sensor!!
Funny, I had the stickers on my first trailer, again I still had problem with location, but I found myself never using the pro trailer thing and just doing it myself. I'm hoping the system, cameras, and the sensor have all stepped up some since 2018 and it will become useful to me. I didn't even push the button on my 2020 (or use the sticker).

PhilBurks

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
philburks.com
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited, all options is on order.
Occupation
CEO
I added my big box trailer to my Limited (10/21 delivery) using the sticker and the sensor (both came with the truck). No issues and I use it every time I tow.
Adding a second trailer, I used the extra stickers that came with the truck, but no extra sensor. Guess what! Push the Pro button and it fails because there is no sensor!! All I read shows that it can be one or the other! And, FYI, I am up to date on all software. So.... I've ordered a second yaw sensor kit and hopefully that will allow the second trailer to work. But... I really am confused...

Ranger621

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
I took delivery of my 2022 Lariat with every option available....you only live once, LOL, it was supposed to have the sensor but it was missing. I just called the dealer and a couple days later they had my sensor. No charge. They said it should have been under the back seat, but apparently they forgot to put one in there at the factory. I still haven't tried using it though, only had the boat out twice. :(

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I took delivery of my 2022 Lariat with every option available....you only live once, LOL, it was supposed to have the sensor but it was missing. I just called the dealer and a couple days later they had my sensor. No charge. They said it should have been under the back seat, but apparently they forgot to put one in there at the factory. I still haven't tried using it though, only had the boat out twice. :(
You got REAL lucky...

Your dealer had moved up from "what are you talking about" to the next level. But still behind, as for late 2021 builds (and on into 2022 builds) once they got the sticker software working and cut it into the manufacturing line, they dropped the Yaw sensor. In fact if you read the little pamphlet that has the stickers it will talk about purchasing the the YAW sensor as an optional accessory.

Your dealer didn't know that, and just had his parts guy get you one.

Right now on Ford Parts it looks like the price is about $950!!

Ranger621

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
From everything I'm reading I guess I REALLY luck out!
Sponsored