What universe is Farley living in

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
When I got my 21, my dealer was mostly 2.7 and 5.0 with virtually no 3.5s.

Now its 2.7 and 3.5 with virtually no 5.0.

Something is definitely up.
My local dealer has a lot of 5.0, but I thought it was strange that YouTube dealer was denied the order change. It could be that it’s too late to change too, you can never get the full story from a 15 second comment on a YT video. If they have vins and are in production Ford isn’t going to let you switch.
Sponsored

StarLord

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Occupation
Pilot
I wish everyone would get together and stop buying these trucks with asinine prices. Maybe then they’d take quality seriously, and stop raping us with these costs. I’ve probably owned more Ford trucks than most anyone on this site, and after seeing Lariat trucks at $80k plus, for crap quality and more plastic, I’m out. Maybe when I retire, but to me this is no different than buying a steak full of grizzle at the #1 steakhouse. If that’s what I’m getting, I’m out.
Currently driving a 2013 Ford Focus hatchback 5-speed with 135,000 miles that I bought new. I’m ready to buy but will continue to wait. I understand some people may not have a choice but many are burying themselves financially. I’ll swap in a new engine before I spend the kind of money that Ford is asking. Anybody have stats on current repossession rates?

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Scab XLT 2.7EB 2wd
Occupation
Retired
Currently driving a 2013 Ford Focus hatchback 5-speed with 135,000 miles that I bought new. I’m ready to buy but will continue to wait. I understand some people may not have a choice but many are burying themselves financially. I’ll swap in a new engine before I spend the kind of money that Ford is asking. Anybody have stats on current repossession rates?
Info on current repo rates? Nope don't know that. Info on delinquent loan payments? Percentage of those are high and getting higher.

From an article on vehicle (un)affordability: Most Americans Can’t Afford Even One Average-Price Used Car | GetJerry.com
  • In the fourth quarter of 2023, the percentage of outstanding auto loans that had become at least 90 days delinquent in the previous four quarters hit the highest level since 2010, in the immediate aftermath of the Great Recession. Those recently delinquent loans alone are worth $43 billion.
  • Despite low unemployment and a robust economy, serious delinquencies (90+ days) have exceeded the peaks reached during the 2001 dotcom recession and the 2020 COVID-19 recession.
It’s not just low- and middle-income families struggling with the costs of car ownership these days. Even a household earning $100,000 a year after taxes would have to spend 24% of their take-home pay to make loan payments on and drive two average used vehicles 15,000 miles a year. That’s more than the 15%-20% of income financial advisers recommend as a limit.

A middle-income household earning $64,000 a year after taxes? They would need to spend 38% of their take-home pay to drive two average used cars.

Of course it’s worse for lower-middle-income households, those falling in the second 20% on the income distribution scale. They’d have to pay nearly two-thirds (62%) of their post-tax income to take on two average used-car car loan payments and drive the cars 15,000 miles a year each.

Only the highest-earning 20% of households can afford two new cars—once a marker of the American dream. And even they’d have to pay 15% of their after-tax income to do so—the upper limit of some financial advisers’ affordability threshold.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
CAFE has been significantly increasing from 2020-2026, 1mpg per year. Ford decreased the PB 4WD by 1 notch 1 of the years, I'm thinking it occurred with the constant live TOD front axles in lariat+. Then they magically bumped the 5.0s reported number, but if they're constraining 5.0 motors, it might be a bluff to stave off CAFE fines but by restricting them the end result might not be such a hit? Strange things going on. CAFE still has 2 more years and 2 more MPG points to go....

It's a really strange calculation and I think as of 2024 the PB is just meeting it. Ford also said they were going to increase its production up to 20% of the fleet. Based on autotrader 'for sale' data it's around 14% or so. Granted PB owners may be ordering their trucks more so than taking dealer orders. If you want the tech that comes w/ the PB, you probably want it exactly as you want it thus shifting the focus to custom order.

Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
When I got my 21, my dealer was mostly 2.7 and 5.0 with virtually no 3.5s.

Now its 2.7 and 3.5 with virtually no 5.0.

Something is definitely up.
Now that you mentioned it...when I ordered my XLT it was because they had no 3.5 EB's. Only 5.0 and 2.7's. Did they speculate and lowered the orders for 2.7's and 5.0's, figuring they 3.5 EV will sell more. Just like the reason the chip shortaged happened.

Just my thought.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE

Interesting how fire-sale'n EVs can change their sales rate for ford.

New vehicle sales by type
Ford F-150 What universe is Farley living in 1714684927601-k9

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Now that you mentioned it...when I ordered my XLT it was because they had no 3.5 EB's. Only 5.0 and 2.7's. Did they speculate and lowered the orders for 2.7's and 5.0's, figuring they 3.5 EV will sell more. Just like the reason the chip shortaged happened.

Just my thought.
They may be constraining all the ICE only to push some PB, possible. In current conditions (what’s going on with stellantis & fords new lineup) it seems the 5.0 and PB have seen some sales growth, but the 2.7 has seen some loss in market share. Not sure on 3.5.

Last edited:

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I'm pretty new to Fords, my first being a 2020 f150 and 2nd being a 2022 F150 and there are significant quality updates between the two and I'm not talking about things like a bigger screen. It's just a better built truck. The 2020 F150 was a big jump over my 2018 Silverado though.

I recently rented a 2022 Mustang Ecoboost convertible that I would still consider older due to that model being from 2015 /2018. That thing was a piece of garbage and not just because it was a ragged out rental. Serious manufacturer quality issues.

I can only hope the 24 Mustang got through same level (actually more is warranted) of quality improvement. Going on a trip in a few months and hoping this rental agency has 24s.

In my not always humble opinion, they are getting better. I don't understand the hate for Farley. He's better than Barra.

Pelican

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat (502A) Supercrew 3.5L EcoBoost
Occupation
Financial Management
Maybe Ford ought to pay their employees once the job is complete. I only invoice my clients when the the engagement is complete. Seems like a win win. I know others progress bill (like paying your employee every two weeks), but nothing is more motivating than having to stay on top of a project knowing you have to complete it before being compensated and potentially losing a client for messing up. IMO, being compensated for job completion as opposed to work done is the appropriate motivation to find successful solutions to real world problems in a timely manner.

Another option would be to test, test, and retest before evening thinking about releasing something into a new model year. I believe Ford tests and retests; however, they clearly missed them mark on something which is evidenced by the dealys. IMO, these type of delays clearly show they have not run their testing appropriately.

I'm a Ford guy and have been since before being able to legally drive, but this subpar performance is really disappointing and only further substantiates other buyers justification for purchasing a competitors product. I do miss the days when the blue oval outsold the competition by a landslide (Explorer, Taurus, Ranger, F-150). I fear Ford has placed so much emphasis on the F-150 that's it's the only product non blue blooded people would consider buying.

Keep trucking on...

Sponsored

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I saw my first 2024 F150 only last week and have only seen one other since.

I have yet to see the new ranger that seems like it was supposed to be here a year ago.

That's a major loss of revenue and something Farley is responsible for again. That said, I think Farley is making better decisions than he has historically. Glass & co recently recommended a major board change to several seats, which I don't fully agree with on the basis that Ford is one of the few family run businesses that can continue to pursue stuff people actually want to drive. The family run aspect is hugely important.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I'm pretty new to Fords, my first being a 2020 f150 and 2nd being a 2022 F150 and there are significant quality updates between the two and I'm not talking about things like a bigger screen. It's just a better built truck. The 2020 F150 was a big jump over my 2018 Silverado though.

I recently rented a 2022 Mustang Ecoboost convertible that I would still consider older due to that model being from 2015 /2018. That thing was a piece of garbage and not just because it was a ragged out rental. Serious manufacturer quality issues.

I can only hope the 24 Mustang got through same level (actually more is warranted) of quality improvement. Going on a trip in a few months and hoping this rental agency has 24s.

In my not always humble opinion, they are getting better. I don't understand the hate for Farley. He's better than Barra.
I’m think it’s Fords super slow reaction time. The fact that there are still back ordered parts from Covid is sort of insane. We are 4 years out, nobody else is unable to deliver parts or models. Can you pin it to Farley? No, but he plays a part in tackling the issue.

The real solution here was to not bother with the refresh. It hurt them. They couldn’t deliver. A product life cycle of 3 years is too short anyway imo, 5-6 years is just fine without a refresh. I am fine with the refresh, but why? It really brings no significant changes barring a tailgate that sucks anyway.

texski

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 King Ranch Super Crew, 1997 Lariat Super Cab
Occupation
Retired
I have been astounded at the construction quality for my truck. I don't agree with the complexity of some of the systems that they chose to integrate, but globally it's a very well built vehicle.
Adam, you have a 21 ... pre-Covid build? If so, that was the height of the Gen14. You and Bruce (Stuttgart Snob) are truly fortunate.

The amount of recalls since 21 are staggering. Farley brought in an exec from Toyota to improve the quality ... more than a year ago? They decided to take items off the "menu" to simplify, and quality is still an issue. Since 21's they have continued to delete features on our F150's while raising the price. And not only that, but they have increased the cost of ownership. My 360 Camera pkg is a SUBSCRIPTION for 24 models, and maybe even 23's. How many installed features did you pay for, that you have to rent afterwards?

And then the BATTERIES!!! Ford supplies the cheap, low quality batteries and provide a BMS that will not allow adequate charge. If you want to take your F150 to the airport and leave it a few days, you better have a good battery jump starter or be prepared to wait for assistance because it will not hold a charge. I won't belabor the point, but why should I pay for a new vehicle and be told, "Drive it around with the AC off to charge the battery"? That kind of arrogance I find unacceptable. Or in the case of the Mach E, Ford used undersized wire (no wonder they fired 1000+ engineers) so they detune the power consumption so the resistance will not cause a fire. Sorry Mr Jones, but we advertised and you paid for 450 hp and now we are going to take that away from you. Poof! You now get xxx hp. Why does Ford's fixes hurt the owner?

OP, I mean no disrespect, but there are many of us who waited MUCH longer and didn't get what they ordered. The problem you identify is longstanding and I don't see change. We asked for transparency during Supply Constraints. When we had specific questions, our calls were directed to independent contractors with a small data base of generic responses they were allowed to provide. We followed weekly updates to see what would be omitted for this batch, and hoped that our build would either be pushed back until parts arrived or we could beat the cut-off. And when something was deleted, we were given Wholesale credit instead of the Retail we paid.

Jarhead, the ethic you received from your parents and Uncle Sam does not exist in Ford Administration. And please know that I recognize your sacrifices and my family is forever grateful.

Farley has an attitude problem. Decisions unilaterally benefit Blue Oval, and the buyer/owner is presented with a take-it-or-leave-it option. Ford continues to value engineer and delete pieces while at the same time raising the price and requiring subscriptions to use purchased and installed options. Ford has become tone-deaf. When GM and Stellantis produce vehicles with far fewer recalls than Ford, for consecutive YEARS, you know there are problems at Ford that have yet to be resolved. #FireFarley

PPK

First Name
PPK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 502A, 1947 CJ2A, WK2 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
My '22 Lariat has had four recalls on it. we just changed out my JGC and did a Tahoe... i did not even look at Fords... four is too many. And i did have a $2k ford coupon.

brakes and winshield wipers? i am not in favor of another ford....

texski

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 King Ranch Super Crew, 1997 Lariat Super Cab
Occupation
Retired
My '22 Lariat has had four recalls on it. we just changed out my JGC and did a Tahoe... i did not even look at Fords... four is too many. And i did have a $2k ford coupon.

brakes and winshield wipers? i am not in favor of another ford....
I stopped counting after 17 recalls for 21-22, and really thankful I did not take delivery of the Max Tow pkg we ordered. Rear axles dislodging from the carrier while driving?!

Your truck would fit nicely in Norman. Boomer!
Sponsored