Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
These posts serve as solid evidence for buying an extended warranty.
I did by the extened warranty as i would expect to have this truck for 10 years as did my last Lariat model but I took out the exteneded warranty becuase of all the eletronics that could crap out after factory warranty. But the exhaust and rust brand new is NOT acceptable "Period". I do not want a it painted, I do not want a new exhaust system I want a new truck that I paid for in full alreay and it is what 6 weeks old but looks like 20 years... as my previous 2009 model with 170k mile still hade the orignal exhaust and there wast not a spot of rust anywhere on the truck. We live in Miami, FL , so no snow/salt etc. certainly we have our rain but this is from the factory build or how the truck or components were incorrectly stored before during or after building the truck A nearly $65,000 purchase should be right not rusted and corrored. Anyone that has these issues should demand a new truck, not paint over it and hide it... hiding rust is like hiding Grangreeen with bandaid... gennerly not good for the patient.
Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
My XLT, less then 400 miles bought 3/02/2021. Built in Kanas City dealer and Ford have both been contacted

B4A32C9A-AF4B-4EF0-96EC-0ECC57A6C133.jpeg

0532BDD2-E65E-4852-AD5D-99B401EB7E7D.jpeg

8247AF91-DFEC-491C-AF5E-E6C0D3539DF0.jpeg

C6173BB9-97C9-49A5-8599-5E7742B28CB1.jpeg

E570DD28-8117-4947-AC14-DA29060BE55A.jpeg

71316C4E-F82B-449F-A1DF-50F43E4FF542.jpeg
I admit that I haven’t read about all of these accounts of Rust on these new F-150, but every one I’ve read mentioning the build plant, it’s been ‘Kansas City’.

I wonder if this Rust problem is as widespread among the Dearborn-built trucks. Does anyone with a Dearborn truck have this Rust problem?

Sponsored

HMG2Ford

First Name
Mic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 Ford F150 Lariat ... 2017 Infiniti Q60S
Occupation
Retired
I've been following this forum and truck was made in Dearborn, it's widespread. Poor material selection and lack of application/quality coatings is the simple truth.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/my-new-amb-limited.2305/

The pictures of the muffler/exhaust pipes is one of the worst cases I've seen and just not representative of the aging for the time period in use. Isn't this in the emission chain and could be a pollution risk if there is corrosion through outer shell? What is warranty for emissions? Contact EPA?

Food for thought: 1) Ford pay for your extended warranty 2) Replace muffler/pipes with vendor of your choice and you can offset the cost of new muffler/pipes with the money you saved by not paying for 1)

Predator

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2019 Escape
I admit that I haven’t read about all of these accounts of Rust on these new F-150, but every one I’ve read mentioning the build plant, it’s been ‘Kansas City’.

I wonder if this Rust problem is as widespread among the Dearborn-built trucks. Does anyone with a Dearborn truck have this Rust problem?
my 2021 was built in Dearborn has the same rust problem pretty disgusted really

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
These pictures of the exhaust and skid plate look more like corrosion from Chlorine gas or some kind of acidic environment than normal rust. The zinc on the skid plate is turning to powder the same way it does when you soak galvanized parts in vinegar or muriatic acid to strip the zinc coating. I have seen the same thing in humid/salty environments, but only after years. My only guess for the exhaust is that it was improperly aluminized or somehow contaminated during production.

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Looks like they’re spraying acid in places and not paint...

I’m not Ford insider, but I would wager supply chain issues due to world events (e.g. KC plant shutting down for a week due to natural gas supply) caused parts to be exposed to elements before being protected in some form or fashion.

Hope Ford addresses this sooner than later, after hearing that VP spout off about reliability just to see this, well, it’s disappointing.

Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I know I’ve mentioned the frozen door issue a million times but as I’ve recently found out that Ford knew about it all along, I think I’ve figured out this whole rust shituation.

They purposely built their trucks with cheaper door components knowing they had a good probability of malfunctioning in colder weather because the percentage of trucks sold in colder places(like Canada) was low enough to proceed and deal with the complaints later.
The sad part is that when it became a more known issue(like this rust thing is becoming) they actually tried to bs their way out of it before eventually took some(not all) responsibility and some people got a cheque for a couple hundred dollars, which is a whole lot more bs because those few dollars can never make up for all the sh*t people with those sh*tty doors had to go through.

Pretty sure that’s what’s going on here: They decided to go the cheap route, again, as usual, and hope for the best especially since this is a part of the truck that isn’t seen as much.
Hopefully this blows up real hard in their face and they lose all the money they saved on these poor decisions trying to sell low quality goods for luxury prices.

There will be a bunch of folks that don’t like what I said and will call me soft for complaining again. Oh well. Sorry I’m not as rich as you or have as much time or desire to be fixing my brand new truck.

I just started buying brand new vehicles a few years ago to avoid the gamble of buying a used car and possibly discovering some sad feels.
Well based on this forum that I read almost everyday, there’s no possible discoveries with these new F150’s, there’s already a hefty list of bad feels that you just have to hope you don’t get. That is not the way to sell vehicles. Good luck and best wishes to all of you

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, PB, Fx4, SuperCrew w/5.5 Bed
These pictures of the exhaust and skid plate look more like corrosion from Chlorine gas or some kind of acidic environment than normal rust. The zinc on the skid plate is turning to powder the same way it does when you soak galvanized parts in vinegar or muriatic acid to strip the zinc coating. I have seen the same thing in humid/salty environments, but only after years. My only guess for the exhaust is that it was improperly aluminized or somehow contaminated during production.
100% agree with this. The rust looks like a set of crappy tools I was using to make repairs to my pool and i left on top of a chlorine bucket in my shed. They got completely destroyed in a week and had the same exact flakey/powdery looking rust.

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
I picked up my ordered SQ KR Powerboost this afternoon. I went over the truck and found nothing wrong except for rust on the front of the differential. I opted to not say anything because I didn’t want to hear excuses. It’ll be easier to just take care of it myself. The truck rides and drives excellent.
I picked mine up today, same issue. Nothing on the back but a little on the front side of the differential. I’m taking it back in tomorrow for another issue, going to ask them to take care of the rust then. If they say no then I’ll just deal with it myself.

gartzspeed

First Name
Gardiner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Boxster Spyder, 2019 Honda Accord
Lariat with Max tow package.

Was dropped off at the dealership yesterday, I went in this morning to specifically check on the rust issue.

I will not be taking delivery, this just screams run away.

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_20210313_111426

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_20210313_111517

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_20210313_111536

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_20210313_111510

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_20210313_111623

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
YEP wish I would have looked under the truck when I purchased it, who would think this would be what is found... crazy for brand new Sixty Five Thousand pick up to look 20 years old day one.

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_5575.JPG

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_5580.JPG

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_5579.JPG
Sponsored