Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Hey Guys,
Anyone else hear a clunking noise in their rear end when hitting a bump? I specifically only hear this clunk when I’m pulling in/out of my driveway where I’m driving over the concrete drain that connects the road to the driveway. I got under the truck today to see if anything was loose but no luck.
it definitely sounds like something has come loose and if it’s an easy fixI’d rather do
It myself.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I plan on calling the dealer this week. Anyone else experienced this yet?

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wish but it’s off. Seems like something on the rear end is loose.

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Squeak/grinding/clunk could be leaf spring isolator pads, big ongoing issue on older gen. Literally a piece of plastic that separates metal and wears down and gets Loud. Dealer will replace entire leaf pack which is dumb. Try hitting with some grease and see if it stops.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Squeak/grinding/clunk could be leaf spring isolator pads, big ongoing issue on older gen. Literally a piece of plastic that separates metal and wears down and gets Loud. Dealer will replace entire leaf pack which is dumb. Try hitting with some grease and see if it stops.
Thanks. I’ll give it a shot. Are you referring to these?

Ford F-150 Clunking Noise in Rear End 4A7DF402-ED08-400F-B853-AE86EA36E7D7

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Thanks. I’ll give it a shot. Are you referring to these?

4A7DF402-ED08-400F-B853-AE86EA36E7D7.jpeg
Yep, Google rear clunk f150 forum and you’ll see tons of threads. There’s a few total sets of these pads so don’t forget to hit them all. A simple test is to get it all soaking wet and see if the noise is there.

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@flynavy so I went ahead and cycled the LSD on/off after reading your post and dog gone it.. I think that fixed it. Now I’ve only hit the driveway dip once since then and it didn’t CLUNK. I’m wondering if it was something that needed a reset in the rear end. We shall see.

Thanks for the suggestion!

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well the issue is back. Every time I turn and hit a bump I hear the clanking in the rear. I guess I’ll go ahead and take it in to have it checked. Anyone else having this issue?

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
I hear the clunk all the time.

then I realize i left my draw bar and ball in the hitch.

im sure you have already thought of that but obviously I forget sometimes…..

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I had a similar experience but not this time.

DaftJak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX 4X4
Well the issue is back. Every time I turn and hit a bump I hear the clanking in the rear. I guess I’ll go ahead and take it in to have it checked. Anyone else having this issue?
I'm having the same issue when I turn going at an upward angle (or a dip when turning) I hear the clunking pop like noise. I hear the noise on either the left or right side depending on the upward angle I turn. I brought it to the dealership and they mentioned it would take them a long time to track down where the issue is coming from, they couldn't see anything overtly wrong. They said they submitted the issue to Ford for assistance on the issue. It drives me nuts, sounds like something is broken. With a different rear suspensions than previous year F150s, basically starting all over to figure out where the noise is coming from.

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm having the same issue when I turn going at an upward angle (or a dip when turning) I hear the clunking pop like noise. I hear the noise on either the left or right side depending on the upward angle I turn. I brought it to the dealership and they mentioned it would take them a long time to track down where the issue is coming from, they couldn't see anything overtly wrong. They said they submitted the issue to Ford for assistance on the issue. It drives me nuts, sounds like something is broken. With a different rear suspensions than previous year F150s, basically starting all over to figure out where the noise is coming from.
Same here. They told me two keeps minimum they would have the truck so I decided to wait. Mine almost sounds like it’s doing damage when it happens or something is seriously loose. But it only happens as you described which is only when I pull in/out of my driveway for
The most part. However if I hit the same dip/bump going straight there is no noise at all. Are you experiencing this as well?

DaftJak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX 4X4
Same here. They told me two keeps minimum they would have the truck so I decided to wait. Mine almost sounds like it’s doing damage when it happens or something is seriously loose. But it only happens as you described which is only when I pull in/out of my driveway for
The most part. However if I hit the same dip/bump going straight there is no noise at all. Are you experiencing this as well?
Here is the audio of the clunking/popping noise I'm hearing while turning up a steep angle if it's anything similar to what you're hearing. As mentioned this was decently steep, I hear the noise on less steep inclines as well (sometimes pulling into my driveway) with a softer clunk that what I posted:

But yes same here, If I go straight over bumps I don't hear the noise.

quartzlariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat 500a, 2021 F150 Lariat 502a
My father picked up his 21 lariat a little over a month ago and sure enough has the same issue. Easiest to notice when pulling in and out of driveways especially there steeper they are. Took it to the dealer and they claim it’s the bolts that hold the leaf springs… we’ll see not totally convinced that’s all it is. Hoping mine does not do the same when it arrives
Sponsored