Sponsored

Another Ford

First Name
DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Again, it seems Ford or their supplier is missing a process and Ford is expecting this to be OK to the end customer. A properly post processed differential housing should never rust sitting in a field that's nowhere near a salt source.
By the pics above it looks like an attempted CYA.
This should be a non-deliverable...
Many of us mod our trucks with lifts with custom shocks and wheels; Looks so nice on a $70k rust bucket.
Vent over 😡
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Personally, I don’t think Ford will do anything about the rust issue. My assumption is that they will come up with a fix for trucks that have yet to be built but they won’t do anything for trucks that they already sold. I negotiated an additional $200.00 off when I picked up my truck to cover the cost of rustproofing / undercoating. None the less, I went ahead and cleaned up the rear axle and exhaust hangers myself. That way I know the rust is gone. It came out so well that I really don’t need to get the truck rust proofed but I plan on keeping it for a long time so I will still get it sprayed. Fortunately, my exhaust pipe and muffler are pretty much rust free. The ends of the axle where the rotors are wasn’t bad either.

Below are a few pictures of the process that I did. I’m not endorsing any products; I’m just showing you what I did and what worked for me.

I used Rust-Oleum Rust Dissolver spray. I chose this because they state it will remove light rust without removing paint. If the rust is heavier in some areas the paint will be gone and you will be left with bare metal after using the dissolver. I also used a dish / pot scrubbing brush and Rust-Oleum flat black paint. I purchased all three items at Lowes. I also used CRC Marine Corrosion Inhibitor which I bought on Amazon. This is awesome stuff in my opinion. Its not pictured but I used a little primer on a few bare spots on the axle where the paint was gone. While priming bare metal is the best practice you could still just paint the axle and seal it with CRC Marine. The CRC product will stop the rust from coming back. Just let the paint dry a full 24 hours before applying CRC Marine. I also used a small piece of cardboard to block overspray. You could tape off any areas that you are concerned about but I didn’t. CRC Marine has a slight brownish tint when it dries. If you spray it on axle nuts / bolts it will add a brownish color. Just be aware of that if you use it.

My axle is now rust free and I don’t have to be concerned about it. You could fight with Ford or your local dealer about it and wait a very long time only to potentially have nothing done. Meanwhile the rust will continue to get worse. I decided to fix the problem myself and move on. On a side note, if you question if you can do this yourself, I’m 54 years old and I’m a big guy (6’4”, 285lbs). I did this on a gravel driveway lying on pieces of cardboard. I was able to slide under the truck and do this without jacking the truck up (though it was a very tight fit). I have 20” wheels. It sucks doing this but once you’re done you don’t have to be concerned about rust anymore.

Just thought I’d pass this along in case anyone is considering doing this themselves...

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG
I followed this process and it works great.

MamboMinnow

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Personally, I don’t think Ford will do anything about the rust issue. My assumption is that they will come up with a fix for trucks that have yet to be built but they won’t do anything for trucks that they already sold. I negotiated an additional $200.00 off when I picked up my truck to cover the cost of rustproofing / undercoating. None the less, I went ahead and cleaned up the rear axle and exhaust hangers myself. That way I know the rust is gone. It came out so well that I really don’t need to get the truck rust proofed but I plan on keeping it for a long time so I will still get it sprayed. Fortunately, my exhaust pipe and muffler are pretty much rust free. The ends of the axle where the rotors are wasn’t bad either.

Below are a few pictures of the process that I did. I’m not endorsing any products; I’m just showing you what I did and what worked for me.

I used Rust-Oleum Rust Dissolver spray. I chose this because they state it will remove light rust without removing paint. If the rust is heavier in some areas the paint will be gone and you will be left with bare metal after using the dissolver. I also used a dish / pot scrubbing brush and Rust-Oleum flat black paint. I purchased all three items at Lowes. I also used CRC Marine Corrosion Inhibitor which I bought on Amazon. This is awesome stuff in my opinion. Its not pictured but I used a little primer on a few bare spots on the axle where the paint was gone. While priming bare metal is the best practice you could still just paint the axle and seal it with CRC Marine. The CRC product will stop the rust from coming back. Just let the paint dry a full 24 hours before applying CRC Marine. I also used a small piece of cardboard to block overspray. You could tape off any areas that you are concerned about but I didn’t. CRC Marine has a slight brownish tint when it dries. If you spray it on axle nuts / bolts it will add a brownish color. Just be aware of that if you use it.

My axle is now rust free and I don’t have to be concerned about it. You could fight with Ford or your local dealer about it and wait a very long time only to potentially have nothing done. Meanwhile the rust will continue to get worse. I decided to fix the problem myself and move on. On a side note, if you question if you can do this yourself, I’m 54 years old and I’m a big guy (6’4”, 285lbs). I did this on a gravel driveway lying on pieces of cardboard. I was able to slide under the truck and do this without jacking the truck up (though it was a very tight fit). I have 20” wheels. It sucks doing this but once you’re done you don’t have to be concerned about rust anymore.

Just thought I’d pass this along in case anyone is considering doing this themselves...

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG
Thanks for posting your solution. I performed today on my 2021 PowerBoost XLT. I took it in to dealer at 35k miles for two recalls and asked if Ford would ever issue a recall for this as well.

They said no and my 3/36 warranty is about to expire. So, I decided to take care of it myself now.

dwade62

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 5.0 Supercrew, 302A High, Carbonized gray

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG
Did you need a degreaser?

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I used Rust-Oleum rust remover followed by POR and POR top coat. I must say that spraying looks better, but since I can’t see it, as long as it is protected that is all that matters.

Sponsored

midnightmogwai

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I appreciate these steps. I’m dealing with this on a brand new friggin ‘23. I didn’t even think to look under the truck. Got caught up in the moment. Messaging with the dealer now but unsure anything will come from that. Glad I have a plan B. Frustrating.

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB 701A MT FX4
Occupation
VP of IT
I appreciate these steps. I’m dealing with this on a brand new friggin ‘23. I didn’t even think to look under the truck. Got caught up in the moment. Messaging with the dealer now but unsure anything will come from that. Glad I have a plan B. Frustrating.
My dealer told me to get a quote from somewhere and they would pay for it. I couldn't find anyone to do it. LIne-x etc. I just ended up doing it myself.

Spindrive

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Finally got around to this… no before pictures but it was bad.

thanks for the tip…

hows it held up since doing this OP?

Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It IMG_0175

Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It IMG_0176

c79453

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 5.0
Followed a similar method to the previous posts. This was on a new Kansas built 2023 F150. Build date was 10/23 and I took possession of it on 1/24.

Also curious to see how the trucks from the previous posts are holding up over the past 1-3 years?

Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It IMG_5542

Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It IMG_5543

Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It IMG_5797

Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It IMG_5802

Ford F-150 Axle Rust on 2021 F-150: My Method For Treating It IMG_5806

LFRoss

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT CREW CAB 5.0
Occupation
Forklift mechanic
Finally got around to this… no before pictures but it was bad.

thanks for the tip…

hows it held up since doing this OP?

IMG_0175.png

IMG_0176.png
Did you go all the way out to the shock mounts and the brake rotor covers? Also what did you do to keep from spraying the nuts for the I bolts and wiring harness?

Sponsored

LFRoss

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT CREW CAB 5.0
Occupation
Forklift mechanic
After almost exactly 2 years, mine is still looking good.
1708635241503.png

1708635369249.png
I have a 2021 that looks like it has been taken off road and never properly cleaned underneath which has started a decent amount of rust. I think going to have mine professionally cleaned and then do the rust treatment
Sponsored