dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
5 day update:

It's been really cold this last week (20's to 40s), and even when cold the truck shifts very well at low speeds. Also seems to hunt for gears less. I would highly recommend anyone with a pre 4/23 build get this done.
Sponsored

BlacLion

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat 502a
Occupation
Engineer
5 day update:

It's been really cold this last week (20's to 40s), and even when cold the truck shifts very well at low speeds. Also seems to hunt for gears less. I would highly recommend anyone with a pre 4/23 build get this done.
thanks for the info. I plan on having my truck flashed next time I’m in (near February). I am a March build date, and it’s running okay for me but I have noticed some harshness in lower gear shifts. Might as well get it taken care of!

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
My truck was dealer ordered and was in transit when I first started tracking it.

How can I retrospectively determine the Build date?

Thanks!

-Eric

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum (job 2)
My truck was dealer ordered and was in transit when I first started tracking it.

How can I retrospectively determine the Build date?

Thanks!

-Eric
You can get an approximate date within a week or so from the blend date. The blend date is at the top of your window sticker just left of center.

Sponsored

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
Driving in slippery mode today - truck started to slip in the snow, and revs went to 3200 in first gear under light throttle.

So I braced for the dreaded BANG into 3rd gear...

But low and behold, the revs came down, the 10r80 smoothly shifted into 3rd gear & off I went with my day!

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
I called 3-4 dealers in the DFW area and most of them were non-committal on even performing the TSB saying they have to "diagnose" my transmission issue first. Then they said to bring it in mid-February.

Still calling....

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I had a CEL come on and they performed TSB 21-2131. I had mentioned the shifting issues and the TSB referenced here....got the usual well ford blah blah need to diagnose blah blah there's lots of TSBs it might not be related blah blah crap. Fortunately the 21-2131 is the same procedure as this TSB, the tech knew about this TSB and indicated it's the same fix and should make a difference. I can confirm the shifting is noticeably better on my drive home. I think it's starting the engine a little sooner/ensuring it's on in first gear, then moves to 3rd and stays there a little longer/higher RPM. Will report back after a few days.

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
I had the dealer perform the TSB on my (Powerboost) transmission - it's been 1k miles and the difference is night and day, no more "surging" from 1-3 and all shifts now seem smoother. Recommend anyone affected get this done ASAP :)

Sponsored

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
Except ... could be the recent cold weather and high winds (Michigan) but my MPG seems to have dived by in the 1k-2k miles since TSB by approx 1.5mpg. Anyone else seeing this?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I didn't have my dealership even TOUCH my Platinum Powerboost. (7 months in my possession) But yea, colder temperatures are definitely affecting the fuel efficiency for at least the first 7 miles or so. Obviously because it takes longer for the normal operating Temps of the engine coolant, transmission fluid, and likely the battery itself.
Or put another way, it's taking much longer for my commute "This Trip" mileage meter to reach 20+mpg. It eventually gets there because my trip is long enough. But with the late start for getting a healthy dose of EV mileage, I arrive at my destination before I can get to 23-24 mpg.

I notice if I start a trip with the truck already warmed up good, the "This Trip" data is far quicker to climb, resembling warmer weather.

All makes sense really

OP
OP

Nighsight

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Had the TSB done today. I immediately noticed a difference in the shifting. The truck was great to drive, but this just makes it even better. I did notice the new PCM calibration changed the cold temperature strategy a bit. I just filled up so I can determine if there are any differences in fuel economy.

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
Got the TSB done, first time in since owning it I have seen 2nd gear shown illuminated green on the gear tree. The truck drives about the same otherwise.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Got the TSB done, first time in since owning it I have seen 2nd gear shown illuminated green on the gear tree. The truck drives about the same otherwise.
But you aren't saying that it no longer skips 2nd? Certainly not in Normal and/or Eco mode?
I'd be SHOCKED if Ford released a shifting strategy for the 10r80 that eliminated the practice.
Aftermarket 10r80 tuning can accomplish that, although not for 2021 trucks obviously. But I can't imagine Ford doing so. They have way too much invested in their EPA goals and the required compromises that burdens the consumer with.
Sponsored