Powerboost TSB Harsh 1-3 upshift

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
My Powerstroke has this harsh shift also and a sometimes violent clunk when it downshifts from 10th to 8th. These transmissions always seem to have shifting problems. Ford never could fix my 2018 transmission with the same diesel engine.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Nighsight

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
I'm picking mine up from the shop tomorrow after having this done. It was shifting ok since I reset the trans tables a month ago, but before the reset, it was horrible to drive. This will hopefully make for a permanent fix.

Will let you guys know if it's any better than when I brought it in.
Let us know how it shifts after 2-3 days. The adaptive shift strategy will take about that long to build its tables. Very interested in the results.

Did you happen to take a snapshot of the module software versions to be able to tell which modules were updated during the reprogram?

Tim

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
Let us know how it shifts after 2-3 days. The adaptive shift strategy will take about that long to build its tables. Very interested in the results.

Did you happen to take a snapshot of the module software versions to be able to tell which modules were updated during the reprogram?

Tim
Unfortunately I missed my window to get the truck this weekend. Someone was 40m late picking me up from the airport, and service won't be open until Monday morning...

I actually don't expect the truck to shift much better if at all because of the update - it was good when new and has been good after I reset the transmission tables for the last 800 miles. Will keep following up with my impressions though.

I'm assuming I have the same thing that dworley had here https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/hard-shift-1-to-3.2470/post-53818 - where the forscan reset was only a temporary fix, until he got the latest PCM software.

matts11211

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford 150 Lariat Hybrid power boost
Following this, I think I have the same issue. I have been very disappointed in shifting!

Sponsored

LUV2FORD

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 6'7" bed, loaded. 6" BDS Lift
Occupation
Engineer
Same issue here. Was showing off my fairly new truck to coworker and he felt it shift hard. I was embarrassed.

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gearhead!
Hey guys, so I picked it up from the dealer and although I'm still in the adaptive learning phase, everything was butter smooth. Even smoother than when I dropped it off and didn't have any problems with it.

Low speed shifts were good, and highway shifts seemed a little smoother. Will continue to update.

Last edited:

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Good morning! Could you please send over a private message with your VIN? I would like to see what I can do to assist with these shifting issues your truck is experiencing.
OK I will post an update on this for everyone's benefit.

The gent from Ford's official account asked me for my VIN which I sent to him via PM, then followed up with asking me for a bunch of personal information including address, local preferred dealer etc which I provided. Then a few days later, he responded with some meaningless bs such as "have you contacted your dealer about this issue and what did they say" This thread has the TSB, all I was expecting was whether my vehicle was covered and if they would proactively make a service appointment for me to get the TSB. But no.

Ford wants to look like a hero that is listening to its customers online and reaching out proactively. But it seems like just social media marketing bs with no authentic follow through. They did not help me and wasted my time thus far, have provided no meaningful information about this problem either other than what's already in this thread.

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gearhead!

Tim
Its just the PCM (Powertrain control module). @dworley21 fixed this before this TSB came out by getting the dealer to apply a different TSB which had the same fix of updating the PCM.

machz

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Mine was good for the first few thousand miles but now that I'm at 12K it's getting to be dangerous. The weather is cold now so I'm sure that is part of the problem but even after it has been driven for a while it's clunks really hard at times. On top of that I have had it become unresponsive when pulling out into traffic. The other morning I pulled out of my driveway with the engine on and as I was accelerating all power cut off. The engine was on but no response from the pedal for 20 seconds or so. It was so bad I had to pull over and wait for the pedal to respond.

I love the truck but the bugs are starting to become a problem.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Mine was good for the first few thousand miles but now that I'm at 12K it's getting to be dangerous. The weather is cold now so I'm sure that is part of the problem but even after it has been driven for a while it's clunks really hard at times. On top of that I have had it become unresponsive when pulling out into traffic. The other morning I pulled out of my driveway with the engine on and as I was accelerating all power cut off. The engine was on but no response from the pedal for 20 seconds or so. It was so bad I had to pull over and wait for the pedal to respond.

I love the truck but the bugs are starting to become a problem.
Hi there, Shawn. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
Hi there. New to the boards. The harsh 1-3 upshifts/ poor gas electric transition has been bugging me. Ran across this recent TSB to fix the problem. Wanted to get this out there for those that are effected by this.
My dealer told me that TSB number can't be found, is the TSB 21-2407 correct?

OP
OP

Nighsight

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
My dealer told me that TSB number can't be found, is the TSB 21-2407 correct?
I would assume it's good. Only came out about half a month ago. AllData came up with it when I searched for TSBs in the powertrain section.

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gearhead!
The TSB is good fyi. I had it done and just drove 300 miles over a mountain to get home.

I still may be in learning phase, but one thing that amazed me is the improvement shift quality when I'm manually downshifting as I'm going up an incline on the highway. They are mostly imperceptible now, where before the were very clunky.

Low speed 1 to 3 has been really smooth. Only way for me to make it not so is to stab the throttle mid shift, which is what should happen.

I also got 19 mpg going up 6k feet over that distance at ~73 mph 80% of the time, which is pretty dang good.

OP
OP

Nighsight

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
The TSB is good fyi. I had it done and just drove 300 miles over a mountain to get home.

I still may be in learning phase, but one thing that amazed me is the improvement shift quality when I'm manually downshifting as I'm going up an incline on the highway. They are mostly imperceptible now, where before the were very clunky.

Low speed 1 to 3 has been really smooth. Only way for me to make it not so is to stab the throttle mid shift, which is what should happen.

I also got 19 mpg going up 6k feet over that distance at ~73 mph 80% of the time, which is pretty dang good.
Great to know. I'm going to make an appointment to get this done as well as have them update all of the modules in the truck.
Sponsored