Sponsored

Powerboost TSB Harsh 1-3 upshift

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
But you aren't saying that it no longer skips 2nd? Certainly not in Normal and/or Eco mode?
I'd be SHOCKED if Ford released a shifting strategy for the 10r80 that eliminated the practice.
Aftermarket 10r80 tuning can accomplish that, although not for 2021 trucks obviously. But I can't imagine Ford doing so. They have way too much invested in their EPA goals and the required compromises that burdens the consumer with.
I am not saying that it no-longer jumps 1->3.

I was simply saying that it is the first time seeing 2nd in use since owning the truck, following the TSB procedure. The 1,2,3 from a stop changes depending on pedal pressure now, and I am not seeing the gap of power or noise dive from electric to hybrid mode when starting off. Other wise the truck drives as predicted like my 2018 at speed.
Sponsored

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
But you aren't saying that it no longer skips 2nd? Certainly not in Normal and/or Eco mode?
I'd be SHOCKED if Ford released a shifting strategy for the 10r80 that eliminated the practice.
Aftermarket 10r80 tuning can accomplish that, although not for 2021 trucks obviously. But I can't imagine Ford doing so. They have way too much invested in their EPA goals and the required compromises that burdens the consumer with.
I have also seen 2nd in Normal after having this TSB done.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
The 1-3 skip shift was super annoying even in my 17 Raptor with the 10R80. I wouldn't mind that being gone altogether.

I finally found a dealer about 55 miles away willing to do this TSB and have an appointment scheduled for Friday morning to get it done. Will post an update.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I am not saying that it no-longer jumps 1->3.

I was simply saying that it is the first time seeing 2nd in use since owning the truck, following the TSB procedure. The 1,2,3 from a stop changes depending on pedal pressure now, and I am not seeing the gap of power or noise dive from electric to hybrid mode when starting off. Other wise the truck drives as predicted like my 2018 at speed.
OK. My bad for misunderstanding. Yea, I can "coax" second gear in Normal mode but it requires an aggressive approach. Although when hooked to a light trailer of about 1500-2000lbs, normal mode will use 2nd every time. It's definitely a load-based strategy.

Sport strategy is awesome for casual driving. It's my favorite "tune". But I am very disappointed that strategy nixes EV.

Suma52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew FX4 Sport Powerboost
Just got back my PowerBoost from service today. I had the TSBs done for the transmission and Infotainment system, as well as an alignment since it's been pulling to the left since I took delivery (no charge for alignment). I still need to take it back in 5-8 days to get the driver side cat replaced when the part arrives, which is due to an exhaust rattle.

As far as the transmission shifting after the TSB, it's perfectly smooth now. I have in fact been able to get it to consistently shift into 2nd ?. What's funny is that it made the exhaust rattle also less noticeable without the truck/powertrain lurching, although it's still there until the cat is replaced.

I had to go to a specific dealership further away than I would have liked to get all this work done. I printed a list of issues with exactly what I wanted done (TSB numbers included). Even though their service counter people had an attitude about my list, I lucked into getting a tech that was a nice guy with good customer service skills. He seemed to genuinely care about making me happy and getting everything done that was asked without coming up with ways to weasel out of it. I might not have to trade/lemon law this truck after all!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
OK I got this done yesterday. For folks in DFW area, Shottenkirk Ford in Granbury was easy to work with and easy to schedule with.

I may be the first person in this entire thread to say this - I don't notice much change after the software update. OK Yes, I notice it getting into second gear more often, however, it still skip shifts (1 - 3) often and it only shifts to second if you are deliberate with the throttle.

The majority of the time I feel clunking is when I come off the gas to coast. Whether gas engine is running or in EV mode, when I come off the gas, I feel a small amount of driveline lash and during coasting I feel the driveline "trembling" ever so slightly, but often enough that I notice it. It's just not a smooth come off the gas and coast experience. Even after this TSB, that is still very much present. (I wonder if this is more a feature of the electric regen brakes than the tranny)

The dealer did say that the Ford computer updated a bunch of other modules on my truck when they plugged it in. And my brake auto hold was disabled when I got back in the truck, so updating modules must have reset some preferences.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Sentinel1201 That whole torque converter-electric motor-clutch assembly is pretty complex and I would guess there's some inconsistencies in the tolerances from one truck to the next. Or put another way, I wouldn't be surprised if you drove 10 Powerboosts back2back that you would find some smoother than others.
Add to that the plain old non-hybrid 10r80 transmission has a similar history of variation between trucks. We have about 5 of them in the family fleet and they don't all behave exactly alike. I am the only one to have had one "tuned" by a transmission tuning guru and enjoyed a magnificent 10r80 that behaved to my own personal tastes. The software behind these are amazing and can really be dialed in.
However, as most know, that's not an option with the 2021's and certainly not my new Powerboost.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
That whole torque converter-electric motor-clutch assembly is pretty complex and I would guess there's some inconsistencies in the tolerances from one truck to the next. Or put another way, I wouldn't be surprised if you drove 10 Powerboosts back2back that you would find some smoother than others.
Add to that the plain old non-hybrid 10r80 transmission has a similar history of variation between trucks. We have about 5 of them in the family fleet and they don't all behave exactly alike. I am the only one to have had one "tuned" by a transmission tuning guru and enjoyed a magnificent 10r80 that behaved to my own personal tastes. The software behind these are amazing and can really be dialed in.
However, as most know, that's not an option with the 2021's and certainly not my new Powerboost.
I hear you, makes sense. I had MPT write me a transmission tune for my previous 17 Raptor that significantly enhanced the tranny experience. In fact, I didn't run any engine tune on that truck, just changing the tranny tune got it exactly how I liked it.

Let's see if aftermarket tuners eventually offer something for the PB tranny.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I hear you, makes sense. I had MPT write me a transmission tune for my previous 17 Raptor that significantly enhanced the tranny experience. In fact, I didn't run any engine tune on that truck, just changing the tranny tune got it exactly how I liked it.

Let's see if aftermarket tuners eventually offer something for the PB tranny.
Ahhh, I see that I was preaching to the choir. :)
I think the obstacle to tuning our new Powerboost transmission is far tougher to overcome than our previous trucks were. I'm not 100% pessimistic, but I bet we'll at least be waiting a long time. Maybe I'm wrong.

I gotta admit that the Hybrid nature of out 10r80H would be fascinating to alter to our own preferences. I'd love to tweak "Normal" mode to shift more like Sport Mode but still leave EV mode in play.

drcubanb

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4 Powerboost
I called 3-4 dealers in the DFW area and most of them were non-committal on even performing the TSB saying they have to "diagnose" my transmission issue first. Then they said to bring it in mid-February.

Still calling....
Dealers tend to be non-committal on a prescribed fix before seeing the truck. In the end you just gotta complain, mention the tsb and drop it off for warranty repair. They will end up calling you after diagnosis.

i just dropped mine at Grapevine Ford Wednesday and demanded a loaner.

Sponsored

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
OK I got this done yesterday. For folks in DFW area, Shottenkirk Ford in Granbury was easy to work with and easy to schedule with.

I may be the first person in this entire thread to say this - I don't notice much change after the software update. OK Yes, I notice it getting into second gear more often, however, it still skip shifts (1 - 3) often and it only shifts to second if you are deliberate with the throttle.

The majority of the time I feel clunking is when I come off the gas to coast. Whether gas engine is running or in EV mode, when I come off the gas, I feel a small amount of driveline lash and during coasting I feel the driveline "trembling" ever so slightly, but often enough that I notice it. It's just not a smooth come off the gas and coast experience. Even after this TSB, that is still very much present. (I wonder if this is more a feature of the electric regen brakes than the tranny)

The dealer did say that the Ford computer updated a bunch of other modules on my truck when they plugged it in. And my brake auto hold was disabled when I got back in the truck, so updating modules must have reset some preferences.
The transmission table are relearning too, give it a few days hopefully it will improve.

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
Had my dealership in Iowa do this TSB on 12/31. So far seems better time will tell as the transmission relearns my driving.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Dealers tend to be non-committal on a prescribed fix before seeing the truck. In the end you just gotta complain, mention the tsb and drop it off for warranty repair. They will end up calling you after diagnosis.

i just dropped mine at Grapevine Ford Wednesday and demanded a loaner.
Good luck. I have had repeated horrific experiences with Grapevine Ford on my previous truck - from overfilling my tranny and causing it to overheat, mis-diagnosing suspension issues, etc. I will never ever go back to them.

dantheman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT powerboost
Dealer just fixed my hard shifting with the TSB. It accelerates smoothly now! Took them a few hours to get to it, but very little time once they started.

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
Ok had this TSB done and my ford pass app no longer is connecting to my vehicle. Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored