Sponsored

Oil change interval: total mileage or non-electric mileage?

drcubanb

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4 Powerboost
I’m coming up on my first oil change. Should I be gauging my oil change internals based on total vehicle mileage or total mileage - electric miles.

The combustion engine is operating during electric miles, right?
Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
The engine is off during electric miles. But it stops and starts more offer than a standard gas engine because it’s a hybrid. Co side ring all of this, I will probably change my oil every 6k of gas miles, which should equate to about 7.5k total miles. But I will use better oil than the partial synth they use at Ford.

OP
OP
drcubanb

drcubanb

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4 Powerboost
Ya I found I am getting about 20-25% of all miles as electric miles. So agree on your interval. I thinking of just doing Mobile 1 synthetic.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Not telling anyone what they should do, but will simply forward the information gleaned from many years on the dedicated forum for the F150 Ecoboost motor.

Sure, it has its obligatory "oil threads" that can get a little cantankerous at times, but there is a vast majority that would agree with a couple of points based on there now being lots of examples of higher mileage owners contributing.

The main point of dang near consensus is that regardless of brand of oil, the trucks with much shorter oil change intervals have faired better. Especially the Gen1 3.5 with the now notorious timing chain issues that are mostly described as a result of Fords recommended interval. It's just too long.

And if you are someone who is going to go by the book on that recommended interval, it's highly suggested to use top tier full synthetic over the Ford specified blend.

In layman's terms, these motors really prosper with lots of fresh oil.

You don't have to search too hard to find professional Ford Ecoboost technicians that are more than happy to recommend exactly the same.

Just one:

Redskins5

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Government
I have owned had a 2013, 2015, and 2018 F-150 diffrent motors and have always followed the oil life meter and have never had an issue. The owners manual for the 2021 eco-boost says to use the oil life meter also.

Sponsored

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
I have owned had a 2013, 2015, and 2018 F-150 diffrent motors and have always followed the oil life meter and have never had an issue. The owners manual for the 2021 eco-boost says to use the oil life meter also.
If you've traded up and no longer own those trucks then that doesn't really mean much for us guys trying to keep it properly maintained for longevity. I'm sure following the oil life meter will keep it running during the warranty period but for longevity I would think changing it out at 6k ish miles would benefit the motor more. I'm sure all the start and stop from the hybrid adds to addition wear on the motor.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I admit that I probably err on the side of caution, but I look at it a little differently now that I am an old geezer.
Or put another way, if someone was to point out to me that the oil I drained was still PERFECTLY good oil, just like I was fixing to pour into it, I would reply "exactly".
I really don't ever want to have less than perfectly good oil in the motor, come to think about it.
You know that feeling you get when you just put fresh oil in a motor?
Love that feeling. Look forward to the next time I feel that way.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
I’ve used the oil life meter in my 2013, which I still have while waiting, and have had no issues with my 3.5. I do use synthetic oil.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can I ask if the 2013 is past 85,000 miles yet? I only ask because most of the Gen1 trucks that do experience the pre-mature stretched timing chains exhibit the symptoms starting around that time.
Basically the stretched chain allows the cam to get beyond 6° of its expected timing and it throws a code.
But I admit that it doesn't happen to every truck since there are more than a million of them out there.

Sponsored

rtf150

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Agate Black 501A FX4 Powerboost
I’ll share some small amount of experience I have had with the 3.5.

2011 eco over 200K miles oil change every 5K full synthetic. 1 timing chain issue.

2019 eco before being totaled 1 recall for cold start rattle oil changed every 5K full synthetic oil. 65k ish miles.

Now in my 3rd eco powerboost I plan the same regimen every 5K Full synthetic. If I can keep people from hitting me then I plan to tack on 200K before the next truck.

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
I just do every 5k miles. It might be a bit early for the "lifespan" of the oil, but even if the oil molecules themselves don't degrade there is still dirt and other contaminants in that oil.

Plus it makes it easy to remember when I need an oil change... 15k, 20k, 25k, etc.

Last edited:

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I just do every 5k miles. It might be a bit early for the "lifespan" of the oil, but even if the oil molecules themselves don't degrade there is still dirt and other contaminants in that oil.

Plus it makes it easy to remember when I need an oil change... 15k, 20k, 25k, etc.
Same here. It is easy for me to remember. Also, for me, I have my oil changed at 5K miles because I tow so much with it. In my first year of ownership, just over 1/2 of my miles have been towing, and not counting the hours using the PB as a generator for my trailer when boondocking.

Last edited:

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I'd go with overall mileage. A start-stop cycle is a bit more wearing than steady running. So I think one should account for that. Besides, you don't have to do any math in your head... :)

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Planning on using Amsoil (already ordered) and then just changing at the recommended intervals.

The oil is considerably higher quality anyways and doesn't break down much based on oil analysis of previous vehicles.
Sponsored