Mileage drop after software update

Biodtlpz

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 powerboost platinum
I know mileage has been discussed here alot. But this is just about a change in mileage after software update. I want to see if I am not alone. I have a 2021 poweboost platinum 6.5 box. For the first 19000 miles I had an overall average of 22mpg. After not getting the OTA updates that would activate bluecruise I took it into the dealer. After several attempts and calls to ford engineers, it was returned to me with Bluescruise finally working. Now, however I am only able to get 14-16mpg average! it also seems like the way it displays the mileage has ’reversed.’ It used to be I would start of and it would drop from 999.99 down to actual mileage based on my driving. If I were going downhill or coasting it would often show 30+ mpg. Now it starts off low 1.5 to 1.9 and slowly crawls up based on driving conditions. This means my daily trip to my office that is only 2.1 miles and I can get 1.0 electric miles I was getting 24-27 on, I now can barely get to 15. I am trying to figure out how this happened, but it just seems to be related to the timing of the software updates. I can understand a small drop going to winter gas, but that does not explain the way the computer is counting up and not down. As a test today I started facing down a 1/2 mile hill. I started and tapped the gas to get it out of elecric mode. Rolled down hill without even touching the gas and only got 11.5! Previously If I had don that it would have been like 40+. Does this sound like there is something wrong? Am I crazy? (dont ask my wife) Has anyone else noticed this behavior? Do all of your mileage meters start high and then go down? Ho-ing for as much feedback as I can get to take to service and try to get it look at. THX!!
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Have you calculated the actual mileage for the tank using miles in the tank and gallons used? If not, I would do that before assuming the updates caused a change in fuel economy. A PCM update is the only thing that should change it. If it is actually low, have you done anything else recently that would have affected it? New wheels/tires, other modifications?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I had a 2021 Platinum Powerboost for 1 year.
I've had a 2022 KingRanch Powerboost for 7 months.

Neither have ever counted down for mileage. So I have no idea regarding that specific attribute.
As for the winter gas, I agree with you that isn't likely a valid explanation either, but I absolutely DO believe that cold weather would completely trash a cold-start short trip of only 2.1 miles.

I base that on witnessing myself on both of the Powerboost trucks that I have experience with. First, a cold morning such as 40F, will initiate the ICE to run several minutes, regardless of the SOC of the Hybrid battery. It's 2.5 miles from my abode to the end of my 30mph street. I'm not sure my truck would even get to 16mpg before the stop sign.
On a 77F morning, like this morning was, the ICE didn't come on until I had made it out to the road and accelerated. (my driveway is 1/4 mile at about 5-8mph) So that first couple of minutes of EV was 2 minutes NOT burning coldstart rich fuel. I don't remember exactly because I wasn't using that stop sign as a target, but I often do get to 16-18mpg by that point on a nice day.

My commute is 23.5 miles. I usually get 22-24mpg, but on cold days it takes the first 6-7 miles before I break 20mpg. On a warm day that would be 4-5 miles.

I think your trips are so short that there isn't enough time or miles to even out the difference between a cold day and a warm day.

Just my thoughts.

OP
OP

Biodtlpz

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 powerboost platinum
Have you calculated the actual mileage for the tank using miles in the tank and gallons used? If not, I would do that before assuming the updates caused a change in fuel economy. A PCM update is the only thing that should change it. If it is actually low, have you done anything else recently that would have affected it? New wheels/tires, other modifications?
Thank you for responding. I appreciate your reccomendation. Will do a hand calculation tomorrow. I have noticed slight differences before between the readout and calculated results, like 1-2mpg but not 5-7. But I will do the due diligence and make that calculation tomorrow. No mods whatsoever.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
Your hybrid battery is also only about 60% as efficient once it drops below freezing. Go read some Mach E or Lightening threads.

Sponsored

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
I had a 2021 Platinum Powerboost for 1 year.
I've had a 2022 KingRanch Powerboost for 7 months.

Neither have ever counted down for mileage. So I have no idea regarding that specific attribute.
As for the winter gas, I agree with you that isn't likely a valid explanation either, but I absolutely DO believe that cold weather would completely trash a cold-start short trip of only 2.1 miles.

I base that on witnessing myself on both of the Powerboost trucks that I have experience with. First, a cold morning such as 40F, will initiate the ICE to run several minutes, regardless of the SOC of the Hybrid battery. It's 2.5 miles from my abode to the end of my 30mph street. I'm not sure my truck would even get to 16mpg before the stop sign.
On a 77F morning, like this morning was, the ICE didn't come on until I had made it out to the road and accelerated. (my driveway is 1/4 mile at about 5-8mph) So that first couple of minutes of EV was 2 minutes NOT burning coldstart rich fuel. I don't remember exactly because I wasn't using that stop sign as a target, but I often do get to 16-18mpg by that point on a nice day.

My commute is 23.5 miles. I usually get 22-24mpg, but on cold days it takes the first 6-7 miles before I break 20mpg. On a warm day that would be 4-5 miles.

I think your trips are so short that there isn't enough time or miles to even out the difference between a cold day and a warm day.

Just my thoughts.
Yesterday was the first time I saw mileage counting down. Usually it counts up from zero.
I took a picture because it looked so ridiculous. :)

Ford F-150 Mileage drop after software update A4042786-BBE4-4C30-BC2B-34C3729C5F44

CycleChem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost
it also seems like the way it displays the mileage has ’reversed.’ It used to be I would start of and it would drop from 999.99 down to actual mileage based on my driving. If I were going downhill or coasting it would often show 30+ mpg. Now it starts off low 1.5 to 1.9 and slowly crawls up based on driving conditions.
Mine will only count downwards from 999.9 if I start the trip on electric only. And that only happens for me when the truck has been warmed up from a previous trip, like if I stopped and filled up with gas, and then drove away. Otherwise, it counts up because the ICE kicks on until it is warmed up.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm not saying that I have never seen it count down, but that's a short lived phenomenon for me and only happens if the truck is in EV mode right out of the gate.

Like a fully warmed up truck starting in a large parking lot and has enough EV headstart to populate the "This Trip" trip meter.

I just don't believe a coldstart Powerboost in cold weather and only traveling 2 miles is ever going to get EPA mileage ratings. It's not much of an EV in that environment/use.
The PCM programming has EPA demands on it to get those cats heated up, as well as the programming to get some heat into the coolant loops for both the HVAC and the Battery.

OP
OP

Biodtlpz

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 powerboost platinum
Thank you all for responding. I do inderstand that the first part of the first trip of the day while the engine heats up the mileage will not be as good. If it was only those times I would understand. I used a short 2 mile trip as an example because I do it at least 2 times every day, but my mileage overall for all trips long or short, hot or cold has been reduced to less than 15 when it was 22 for the first 19000 miles. Those miles were also long and short trips through summer and winter. So it seems like a rather drastic change

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
I know mileage has been discussed here alot. But this is just about a change in mileage after software update. I want to see if I am not alone. I have a 2021 poweboost platinum 6.5 box. For the first 19000 miles I had an overall average of 22mpg. After not getting the OTA updates that would activate bluecruise I took it into the dealer. After several attempts and calls to ford engineers, it was returned to me with Bluescruise finally working. Now, however I am only able to get 14-16mpg average! it also seems like the way it displays the mileage has ’reversed.’ It used to be I would start of and it would drop from 999.99 down to actual mileage based on my driving. If I were going downhill or coasting it would often show 30+ mpg. Now it starts off low 1.5 to 1.9 and slowly crawls up based on driving conditions. This means my daily trip to my office that is only 2.1 miles and I can get 1.0 electric miles I was getting 24-27 on, I now can barely get to 15. I am trying to figure out how this happened, but it just seems to be related to the timing of the software updates. I can understand a small drop going to winter gas, but that does not explain the way the computer is counting up and not down. As a test today I started facing down a 1/2 mile hill. I started and tapped the gas to get it out of elecric mode. Rolled down hill without even touching the gas and only got 11.5! Previously If I had don that it would have been like 40+. Does this sound like there is something wrong? Am I crazy? (dont ask my wife) Has anyone else noticed this behavior? Do all of your mileage meters start high and then go down? Ho-ing for as much feedback as I can get to take to service and try to get it look at. THX!!
yep, mine did the same thing. I'm not sure when it started, maybe a couple weeks ago. however the only update that i'm aware of, was one for the cameras.

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I missed that your trip is only 2 miles. In cold weather, if you have heat on, it's going to kill your fuel economy. Best suggestion for you is to keep the HVAC off for short trips and use the seat & steering wheel heater to stay warm. It won't get you back up to normal, but it'll be better. Wait to turn on heat until coolant temp is 150°+.

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Agree with others, cold weather is likely a big factor, even on medium length trips. I live in Park City where it rarely gets much above 32F in the winter. Got my 21PB in November of 21, and certainly did not see the kind of mileage I was hoping for until things warmed up in the spring of this year.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
How long did the dealership have the truck?

The MPG calculator goes off of extrapolated data when predicting DTE and it also reflects on the displayed MPG unless you reset the trip meter.

Any big changes in driving style can really throw the computer off.

Ford F-150 Mileage drop after software update 1C2EFF82-30E2-4685-A2E7-E69DF44BE59B
Ford F-150 Mileage drop after software update 89EEFE0C-50D5-44CC-88AF-C5195E5C712B

It also doesn’t really mean any joyriding was going on. Lots of idle time and just putting around really slow is just as bad when the computer guesses what your future mileage will be and down to empty.

I wouldn’t worry about the mileage unless you have put a couple full tanks through the truck and hand calculate. There’s a reason why the average MPG display is colloquially called the “Lie-O-Meter.”

ConiferEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, Powerboost Hybrid
I'm glad that you posted this. I have a 2021 Powerboost, 157" wheel base, max trailer tow, etc... I too was averaging 22 MPG, hand calculated for almost the first year that I had the truck. About a month ago it dropped to 18 MPG, hand calculated. The only difference being that its colder now which affects battery performance, but last winter I still managed to average 20 MPG. My truck auto-downloaded and installed the last round of updates about a month ago, so like you I'm wondering if the two events are related.

OP
OP

Biodtlpz

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 powerboost platinum
I'm glad that you posted this. I have a 2021 Powerboost, 157" wheel base, max trailer tow, etc... I too was averaging 22 MPG, hand calculated for almost the first year that I had the truck. About a month ago it dropped to 18 MPG, hand calculated. The only difference being that its colder now which affects battery performance, but last winter I still managed to average 20 MPG. My truck auto-downloaded and installed the last round of updates about a month ago, so like you I'm wondering if the two events are related.
Thank you for noticing my post. People keep wanting to just tell me it is the colder conditions, but it was not nearly as low last winter. When you drive a vehicle every day you notice the subtle differences. But this is not even subtle. It is night and day. At least you are getting 18. I am under 15. Of course the dealership also wants to blame the weather. I truly believe it was something in the many modules they updated to get my truck to do bluecruise. In the end, I dont even use bluecruise. I just wanted to be current and have features like cameras while moving and I really appreciate that I can now use the target stickers on my 3 trailers rather than having to use the yaw kit. Again, thx for the reply! Happy Holidays!
Sponsored