Sponsored

PowerBoost Oil Change Interval. Do you trust the oil life meter?

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Mine has 2900 mi. I changed the oil at 700 and reset the indicator, and the OLM now reads 81%. If the algorithm is linear (it isn’t) and my math is right, this implies a change interval of 11,600 mi. I do use better oil than Ford does (full synth M1 extended performance vs Ford’s partial synth) but the capacity is so low at 6 qts. All my other cars are 8-10 quarts. I think I won’t let it go past 7,500-8,500 mi.
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I've seen this many times, why does everyone say that 6 qts isn't a lot of oil? It's a 3.5L 6 cylinder engine, not a 6-7L V8 or a diesel. Most 4 cylinder cars are only 4-5 qts. I feel like 6-7 qts is fairly standard these days for a V6. Oil today, even only partial synthetics, are significantly better than dino oil of 20-30 years ago.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I've seen this many times, why does everyone say that 6 qts isn't a lot of oil? It's a 3.5L 6 cylinder engine, not a 6-7L V8 or a diesel. Most 4 cylinder cars are only 4-5 qts. I feel like 6-7 qts is fairly standard these days for a V6. Oil today, even only partial synthetics, are significantly better than dino oil of 20-30 years ago.
The oil is better but more oil capacity keeps the oil cleaner and cooler. Examples of some of my current and recent cars:
- Chevy Tahoe: 8.5 qts
- Corvette Grand Sport: 9 qts
- BMW 330: 7 qts
- Porsche Macan: 8 qts

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Porsche Boxster 2.7L is 7.9 qts.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Porsche is also recommending a 15k mile oil change interval the last I saw, for an extra 1-2 qts of oil (<30% more). If there were 8 quarts of oil in the engine, would you be ok with a 10-15k mile OCI? Seems like most barely want to go over 5k miles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
150ish

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
Mine has 2900 mi. I changed the oil at 700 and reset the indicator, and the OLM now reads 81%. If the algorithm is linear (it isn’t) and my math is right, this implies a change interval of 11,600 mi. I do use better oil than Ford does (full synth M1 extended performance vs Ford’s partial synth) but the capacity is so low at 6 qts. All my other cars are 8-10 quarts. I think I won’t let it go past 7,500-8,500 mi.
I had mine done by Ford at 1500 miles and reset the monitor. Now I'm at 8503 miles with my OLM at 48%.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
For those who want to self-manage your oil changes (and for everyone else too), I suggest you reread currybob’s post above. Then go to your manual and read about exclusively using Top Tier gas retailers. We buy hundreds of gallons of gas for every few quarts of oil we use. Ford is trying to coach us to think about a fuel detergent‘s value, yet I see almost no focus on the role this plays in engine health on these kinds of discussions. Some think in terms of the very best of synthetic oil for their engines and then drive to Joe’s Foundry and Garage to save 3 cents per gallon. Just a thought...

Jack
Very well stated Jack!

Slacker

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 3.5L Hybrid, SC, Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Retired- Marine Chief Engineer in US Merchant Marine.
I'm the kind of person that pays zero attention to those Oil Life Monitors, until now. Should I be following the monitor since the PowerBoost doesn't accumulate 100% of its miles from running the gas engine? I typically change my oil every 5000 miles.
In my previous 2015 and 2018 F-150s both with 3.5 l Ecoboost I would go more by the oil life monitor. My philosophy was that’s what they put it in the vehicle for. Well my 2018 developed the dreaded cam phaser rattle on start up at about 20,000 miles. It was a lease so I didn’t worry about it too much because once it ran for 15 seconds or so it went away. I’m going to try changing my oil at 5000 mile intervals on my Powerboost maybe even 4500 to see if that helps out the cam phaser problem. From what I understand about the cam phaser is there is a small ball check that keeps oil from draining out of it when sitting and that it fails so then it rattles until the oil pressure builds back up. I have lots of Ford pass points so I don’t really have to pay for oil changes for a while so might as well change it a little more often.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
I ignor the monitor and change at 5000 miles on my wife’s hybrid Escape and plan to do same on my Powerboost when I get it. Electric is a small percentage of total, 20% at best, so I’m not going to drive myself nuts worrying about it.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In my previous 2015 and 2018 F-150s both with 3.5 l Ecoboost I would go more by the oil life monitor. My philosophy was that’s what they put it in the vehicle for. Well my 2018 developed the dreaded cam phaser rattle on start up at about 20,000 miles. It was a lease so I didn’t worry about it too much because once it ran for 15 seconds or so it went away. I’m going to try changing my oil at 5000 mile intervals on my Powerboost maybe even 4500 to see if that helps out the cam phaser problem. From what I understand about the cam phaser is there is a small ball check that keeps oil from draining out of it when sitting and that it fails so then it rattles until the oil pressure builds back up. I have lots of Ford pass points so I don’t really have to pay for oil changes for a while so might as well change it a little more often.
I have a ‘19 3.5 EB and change oil every 5K miles. I still encountered the cam phaser issue but am hoping Ford has made improvements in design so my soon to be Powerboost doesn’t have that issue. Based on other unresolved issues Ford chose to ignore with the Gen14, my hope is not justified, I know, but it’s nice to dream sometimes.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I have a ‘19 3.5 EB and change oil every 5K miles. I still encountered the cam phaser issue but am hoping Ford has made improvements in design so my soon to be Powerboost doesn’t have that issue. Based on other unresolved issues Ford chose to ignore with the Gen14, my hope is not justified, I know, but it’s nice to dream sometimes.
My Powerboost has never had the cam clatter, neither did my 2018 Eco.

Slacker

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 3.5L Hybrid, SC, Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Retired- Marine Chief Engineer in US Merchant Marine.
Did Ford replace your cam phasers to fix your 2019? I wish they would add an electric prelube pump to the engine. I think that would help the cam phaser issue and it would prevent a lot of wear in the engine over its life.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did Ford replace your cam phasers to fix your 2019? I wish they would add an electric prelube pump to the engine. I think that would help the cam phaser issue and it would prevent a lot of wear in the engine over its life.
Ford covered the repair under warranty.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
To each their own, but I will change my oil between 3000 - 3500 miles using synthetic blend or at 4000 - 4500 miles if I use full synthetic.

GChampagne22

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
Occupation
Maintenance Technician
you can use your 1st and 2nd trip odometer for that it tells you how many electric miles you have driven just reset one of them every time you change the oil.
There are people out there right now driving around who haven't changed their oil in over 50k miles! I have a step daughter whose clueless no matter what you tell her. Then she wonders why she had to have seals replaced at 104k and blames it on "big auto" screwing her over. You know the type. Bottom line, if you're planning on keeping you vehicle over 250,000 miles this might be something to worry about. Me, I rarely keep a vehicle longer than a couple of years, four at the most. I've had no problems following the oil meter in any of my vehicles. I currently have just over 5,000 miles in the four weeks I've owned the truck. I never reset my Trip 2 meter in any of my cars. The dealer must have reset mine when they got it in with a few miles on it. You can see the comparison in the two pics:

20210503_180743.jpg

20210503_180805.jpg

I'm pretty impressed that I've run almost 400 electric miles. Especially since 3600 miles at least was at highway speeds ranging between 70-80 mph. We drove the Skyline Drive in VA a couple weeks ago, of the 105 miles about 45 was done in electric mode! Of course, it has a speed limit of only 35mph. I can definitely tell a difference in how much battery strength from when I first got the truck, it is as though it is learning how to better utilize the battery (or maybe my foot on the gas is getting a little lighter).

All this to show that of those 5k miles, it involved 83 engine hours. Of the 5k miles, 550 miles was towing a travel trailer that weighed 5500lbs. At this rate if I continue similar use it looks like I'll be changing oil around the 9,000 mile mark. Not bad, I can certainly live with that. But hey, if it bugs you by all means change it at 3000 or 5000 or 7500 or whatever floats your boat!
If your curious to see what stats would look like if you didn’t pull any trailers with similar mileage. These are mine I have yet to trailer anything with mine took 1 road trip from NoLa to Tenn. other than that most city miles works 15 mins away.

Ford F-150 PowerBoost Oil Change Interval. Do you trust the oil life meter? image

Ford F-150 PowerBoost Oil Change Interval. Do you trust the oil life meter? image
Sponsored