Sponsored

Not sure what engine to go with

KirkG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150
Howdy folks!
Welp… getting to be time to start thinking about a new work truck and having a tough time deciding on which engine.
I currently have a 2015 XLT super cab with the 2.7 and love it I have 289,000mi on it as of today. So I would naturally love to go with the 2.7 BUT I need a 6.5ft bed and I want a super crew. Ford won’t let me build a super crew 6.5ft bed with the 2.7, so between the 5.0 and the 3.5 what say you?
I drive a lot and tend to keep trucks a long time.
Thanks for any input!
Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Oh child….you know not what you have done. The pitch forks….the torches….the chants….I can all ready hear them. Yes, here they come. The Turbo mob and the V8 mob…they approach in their battle armor. EVERYONE FIND SHELTER!!

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
I've had the 2.7, 3.5 and now 5.0.

I do NOT and will NOT do much of any towing. I do haul/load the bed though.

2.7 - good economy but doesn't feel like a truck; too "light" and peppy.

3.5 - feels a little more truck like and "heavier" feel to the drive. Not great on fuel economy but and wasn't a big fan, was happier it felt like a step up from the 2.7

5.0 - built well from what I've read and can handle a lot if you throw power at it. Smooth, a strong NA V8 just feels right. My '22 5.0 gets better economy than my '20 3.5 did.

Powerboost - if you're about better economy and the generator, sure that makes sense. Not my cup of tea, though. I'd choose the 5.0 over and over again.

OP
OP
KirkG

KirkG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150
Oh my I didn’t want to open Pandora’s box!

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
If you don't tow heavy or frequently and don't have practical use for the PB generator, go 5.0.

If you tow heavy or frequently and don't have use for the PB generator, go 3.5 EB.

If you tow heavy or frequently and have practical use for the PB generator, go PB.

I have a PB. There are some nifty traits, but as someone who doesn't really tow or need the generator, I often find myself wishing I'd gone 5.0.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KirkG

KirkG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150
Thanks for the replies, I don’t tow but I permanently have weight that I haul. Appreciate you guys taking the time to respond!

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The default answer to powertrain is powerboost :)

Lots of perks that come with that engine option.

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
When I was searching I was 100% “Team Boost”; my searches were ONLY for 2.7 or 3.5.
Then a truck came up that had everything I was looking for, good payload, offering at below msrp (which was rare in Dec 22), it just had a 5.0.
Decided to go for it and I’ve been quite happy with it. Still in the honeymoon phase, with only 12000km so far, but the engine has been solid, economy is probably the same as I’d get with the 3.5 (from what I’ve seen on fuelly), and payload is better than I’d have gotten with the 2.7 (it was impossible to find a 2.7 with payload pkg, and I was leery of ordering new at the time).
From everything I’ve read, all jokes aside, it doesn’t seem there’s any bad option. Good luck!

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Ford’s been pretty bad with options in 2023, though XLT isn’t impacted as much as higher trims. Since it’s been a good truck for you and it likely won’t make a huge difference between 289,000miles and 326,000 miles (barring some catastrophic failure in the drivetrain) for the sale value for your truck; I’d drive it for one more year and hope that 2024 is a better year for options. Even if it’s not, at least you’re going to have whatever exterior/interior mid cycle refresh they’ll be coming out with in just a few months.

Until then; start talking with a dealership about trucks while taking more than just a spin around the block to see for yourself how the different powertrains feel. You’ll also have the advantage in getting the best price by planning ahead and reading the forums.

If anyone cares what I would choose if going for a 157.2” WB Supercrew. I’d go with the base XL in Powerboost with zero options other than the locking differential and just RWD. Which would be a $47,880 MSRP; which is less than my 2021 regular cab 8’ XLT 4X4 5.0 was!

Which, BTW; looks to be available on the configurator in RWD with the 2.7 as the base engine but not 4X4 , where the 5.0 is base, with $750 to upgrade to the 3.5 and $2,500 for the PB in XL, where just 4X4 is a $5,300 upgrade!

If going with 4X4; either the Lariat High in PB with the 7.2KW inverter and 360° cameras at $74,180 or the standard King Ranch with the same options at $74,980 depending on which one can be ordered at the lowest price with discounts.

Why those trims in Powerboost? because a 157.2” XLT in 4X4 starts at $56,675 MSRP with no options and the 5.0 as its base engine. The 3.5 is an extra $740, with the PB adding $2,500 and really not much extra to write home about over the XL. XLT High 5.0 at $59,400 MSRP gets a few more features but you still get the part time 4X4 and only the reflector LED headlights. The PB XLT High 4X4 with the 7.2KW and 360° cameras is $64,740 MSRP and for just 15% more MSRP you can go Lariat High or KR and get the OEM LED projector headlights with dynamic bending and leveling as well as the full time 4X4 4A transfer case which by all accounts make the F-150 join the 21st century as a properly equipped modern truck. Powerboost almost seems like a no brainer at this point and it would only make sense for Ford to offer its technology on every engine, even the 3.3 that doesn’t get mentioned too often.

Also, if going Powerboost; just make sure that the reduction in payload is acceptable.

Good luck!

LCMM55

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Powerboost is the only setup that is amazing. BE SURE TO GET THE 7KW SYSTEM. I bought mine used and only had the 2.7kw generator and one outlet in the bed. Was not knowledgeable then and still happy with it 100%. Fast, economical, 4wd, FX4, locking diff, 3.73 rear, payload package 1619 pounds, get the MAX TOW PACKAGE, XLT, no sunroof ever, BLIS cam 360, CLASS 5 HITCH 1160 CAPACITY, ADJUSTABLE GAS PEDDLE, spray in bed factory liner, step tail gate. Dual power seats with lumbar. Some of these options may no longer be available. 302a package.

Last edited:

rpold150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
Howdy folks!
Welp… getting to be time to start thinking about a new work truck and having a tough time deciding on which engine.
I currently have a 2015 XLT super cab with the 2.7 and love it I have 289,000mi on it as of today. So I would naturally love to go with the 2.7 BUT I need a 6.5ft bed and I want a super crew. Ford won’t let me build a super crew 6.5ft bed with the 2.7, so between the 5.0 and the 3.5 what say you?
I drive a lot and tend to keep trucks a long time.
Thanks for any input!
With that many miles, I'm curious if you had to replace your turbos. I keep my vehicles for a long time and was debating between 5.0 and 3.5EB. I went with 3.5 (and an extended warranty).

OP
OP
KirkG

KirkG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150
With that many miles, I'm curious if you had to replace your turbos. I keep my vehicles for a long time and was debating between 5.0 and 3.5EB. I went with 3.5 (and an extended warranty).
Hello
No, believe it or not only things on the engine so far was an oxygen sensor and rotors on the truck. I have a aftermarket body on the truck and other than tires it’s been great
Ford F-150 Not sure what engine to go with IMG_1777
Sponsored