Sponsored

Not sure what engine to go with

TXSTEEL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I have a '22 Limited with powerboost and it is one of the nicest vehicles I've ever owned. I'm averaging over 22 mpg over the last 8000 miles. I think it really shines in the environment I'm in where most of my driving is freeway back and forth to work. I can average 23 to 27 mpg depending on traffic.
If I lived in PA would I go with the PB? I've actually thought about this as I'm from there and have a good friend that we discussed this. If you want the 7.2KW gen go with the PB and it will be fine plenty of power and torque. If you will be towing I would probably go the 5.0 as the hills would keep you in boost a lot. Also the colder weather affects the performance of the electric. Of course it would be nice to remote start your PB and have the truck nice and warm and defrosted with out having the engine running the whole time. You can even setup scheduled starts.
Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Part of the decision depends on whether you want a 4WD truck were there is a bit of a price break for the powerboost option, and the average length of your trips. Ford charges $1,760 more for the powerboost engine with trucks with the 4WD option. So the powerboost is going to cost more to buy and just as much as the 3.5L to operate.

The shorter the trips the more of an advantage with the hybrid although Ford's design is for maximum power and not maximum fuel economy. The hybrid truck gets 1 mpg more in city driving but 1 mpg less in highway driving than with the 3.5L Ecoboost engine.

With no improvement in fuel economy for my own driving profile I went with the 3.5L engine along with 4WD and the Max Tow package.

Pelican

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat (502A) Supercrew 3.5L EcoBoost
Occupation
Financial Management
Oh child….you know not what you have done. The pitch forks….the torches….the chants….I can all ready hear them. Yes, here they come. The Turbo mob and the V8 mob…they approach in their battle armor. EVERYONE FIND SHELTER!!
JExpedition07, you are so right on the money.

Pelican

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat (502A) Supercrew 3.5L EcoBoost
Occupation
Financial Management
Howdy folks!
Welp… getting to be time to start thinking about a new work truck and having a tough time deciding on which engine.
I currently have a 2015 XLT super cab with the 2.7 and love it I have 289,000mi on it as of today. So I would naturally love to go with the 2.7 BUT I need a 6.5ft bed and I want a super crew. Ford won’t let me build a super crew 6.5ft bed with the 2.7, so between the 5.0 and the 3.5 what say you?
I drive a lot and tend to keep trucks a long time.
Thanks for any input!
I don't know that you could go wrong with either. I prefer the 3.5L. I drive a lot and don't want to listen to my engine roar. My needs - power, comfort and long-term dependability. Go with your gut. Good luck!

Last edited:

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Howdy folks!
Welp… getting to be time to start thinking about a new work truck and having a tough time deciding on which engine.
I currently have a 2015 XLT super cab with the 2.7 and love it I have 289,000mi on it as of today. So I would naturally love to go with the 2.7 BUT I need a 6.5ft bed and I want a super crew. Ford won’t let me build a super crew 6.5ft bed with the 2.7, so between the 5.0 and the 3.5 what say you?
I drive a lot and tend to keep trucks a long time.
Thanks for any input!
The answer is always v8. The question dont really matter.

Sponsored

KingDavid

First Name
Dah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SCREW 4×4 5.0
This is my first Ford and I'm all about that coyote. It's basically a heavier 4wd Mustang. I got the v8 because of the sound and I plan to boost it soon. Proven motor, proven platform. Not saying the other engines aren't good or even better options, they're just not my preference. I really don't like how those turbo 6s sound with an exhaust.

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
You and I do a similar amount of miles per year (around 50k for me), and this was my main concern when choosing my truck. So I intentionally got the ‘forgotten bastard step-child engine’ 3.3 V6 😂

I don’t tow but I do haul 1200-1500 lbs of payload everyday while averaging 22 mpg. Not bad for a 4x4 in my book. The 10 speed and 3.73 definitely helps. It’ll still get to 60 in under 10 seconds with the amount of payload I haul everyday, which was better than the 5.4 triton I had previously with the 4 speed transmission

Too early to report on reliability so far, my truck is only 6 months old with 28k miles.

I certainly won’t win any drag races between stoplights, but that would knock over all my tools and sh*t in the bed anyways so it’s moot.

I already have a V8 in my other car though, and two V8’s in my boat, so I can scratch that itch when I want a better soundtrack

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
As someone looking forward to selling My F150 to buy the Cybertruck, I can’t wait to experience the simplicity of a truck designed by the “no part is the best part” guy.

That said… despite the FREAK occurrence with my 5.0 shattering a valve at 3,500 miles…
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/inside-your-2021-5-0-at-3500-miles.8526/

26,000 miles later I’m pretty impressed with my 5.0 (since they fixed it) and the gas mileage I get (19-28) depending on how I drive it and what I'm hauling.

OP
OP
KirkG

KirkG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150
Thanks guys for all the input I appreciate it!

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I tow a camper, so I went 3.5 eco. Don't let anyone tell you fuel economy is better in the 3.5. Unless you are doing 60 on the highway, don't expect to see above 20 mpg on a regular basis. It tows like M F'er, but economy isn't great there either. I did plenty of research, so I'm not disappointed in the npg's I get. These trucks would have been considered "super trucks" not to long ago. The power is unbelievable in the 3.5 and 5.0. It's just where in the rpm range you are getting it, thats the big difference between the 2.

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
FWIW for all the towing talk it depends on what you are towing if you do as well. I tow my 20’ Four Winns boat with a steel trailer behind my 5.0L and I cross the Grand Island bridges (I-190) to launch it. Pretty steep grade over the bridges and the 5.0L V8 doesn’t struggle at all, in Tow/Haul it goes over in 6th gear and will try and go over the speed limit real fast if you don’t watch it.

410 lb ft @4,250 rpm for the 5.0L V8 is a lot of torque no matter how you slice it, especially when the 6.2L V8 in my dads 2016 F-250 only churns out 405 lb ft at a higher 4,500 rpm. The reason I commented the way I did is I hate the d*ck measuring contests between engines on these forums. They are both crazy powerful platforms, I do prefer my V8 but I will never badmouth the 3.5 EcoBoost. That’s what insecure people do, the 3.5 is a great package.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Thought this was timely for this discussion.

I don't have any experience with any of the current engines.

I went from an 80s vintage 351 ci, to a 1990 5.0L and with the introduction of a, by todays standards, crude fuel injection, the 5.0 ran circles around it. Don't recall if I got a fuel economy bump or not. I never owned one but drove several of the old 300ci in line 6s. The owners always loved them but I never saw the attraction.

When I got the 4.6L Triton, in my 01, then with a more modern fuel injection, it ran circles around the 5.0 and both were more less trouble free but didn't get the bump in fuel mileage I was hoping for, though that truck was a somewhat heavier so, no penalty either.

If I didn't need a new truck for towing a camping trailer, with plans for a lot of boondocking, I'd just keep my 01 but the PB with the 7.2Kw is a natural fit for that, or any use where regular needs for auxiliary electrical power was the norm. Its kind of a no brainer.

As a cautious, late adopter by nature and already owning a rock solid truck, IF I had to get a new one, without the camper needs, I'd probably choose the 3.3L provided I could get it in a Lariat, which you can't this yr. Soooo, I'd probably go with the 5.0, just for the simplicity and expectation (perhaps misguided) of longevity.

I'm really looking forward to the PB (supposed to get it next week, or the one after) but for me, all that tech, is quite the leap of faith.

Last edited:

rpold150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
Thought this was timely for this discussion.
Good summary of the engines. He missed an opportunity for a bit of humor by adding the lightning at the end, opening the hood and joking about the missing engine...
Sponsored