Sponsored

Black Paint = Hot Truck - What are your go to mitigation tips?

maxis1230

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I love how sharp black looks, unfortunately it comes with some nasty extra heat inside. Looking for any tips you might have to reduce the amount of heat you get.

Things I'm considering so far...
Ceramic coat tint on the sunroof
vent shades to leave the windows cracked

Cheers!
Sponsored

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
After the fact, is going to be tough.

For a long time, my truck was my office.

I went from an F150 in navy, to one in white, with the vent shades. Neither had a sunroof.

I don't have data to back it up but I can only describe the temp difference as obviously noticeable. Huge even.

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Something else to consider, park facing the sun when you can and use a good windshield screen like Heat shield.

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
Since my interior is black I have the same problem. I bought a Cover Craft sun screen for the windshield. It’s not inexpensive compared to other brands, but it did make a big difference. Obviously, it only works when the truck is parked.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
windshield screen if we park out in the sun
side windows are tinted to as much as we can
i have light colored towel for center of dash that absorbs lots of direct sun
i leave sunroof sun shade deployed all the time. wish i didnt have the sunroof, but it is what it is

i had a lucid red f250 with black insides it was HOT no sunroof
i had the 16 exp that was tri color white with sunroof it was not as hot

Sponsored

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Ceramic tint all around and I have 5% sides and 50% windshield. It's not a big issue when I daily the truck since I park it in a garage. At home, it sits outside but doesn't get anywhere as hot as my other vehicles even without the sunshade.

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Something else to consider, park facing the sun when you can and use a good windshield screen like Heat shield.
Placing it on the outside works even better too.

Obviously, it will reflect the majority of it when it's inside the cab, but it'll do even better on top of the windshield.

If I was insane enough to own a black truck and live in the South, I would definitely consider something like this:

Ford F-150 Black Paint = Hot Truck - What are your go to mitigation tips? 1685632070727

I would likely do a solar panel on my tonneau though and integrate it into a connection near my rearview mirror for mounting the exhaust fans, yes I said exhaust, because the majority of problems I've seen with these types of setups is that they do not have intake fans, so you're not moving any air, I'd try and mount something up below the seats that pulls air in from under the truck, while something much nicer than this sticks in the sunroof in the "vent" position.

Honestly, Powerboost owners could probably get away without doing any solar setup, draw on 4 or even 8 of these fans would probably take days or weeks to drain that battery.

JBdoingJBstuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Raptor, 2020 GT350R, 2016 Porsche GT4
My Truck is orange, but the problem with these trucks is there is so much glass. I love pano roofs, but often had the sunshade closed most of the time because of the heat. Ended up getting Xpel ceramic tint at 15% for the pano roof in addition to side and back windows. Just the pano tint alone made a huge difference. And now I keep the shade open all the time and enjoy the airiness it provides. Also use the Covercraft windshield screen when parked.
Ford F-150 Black Paint = Hot Truck - What are your go to mitigation tips? IMG_4255

OP
OP

maxis1230

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
After the fact, is going to be tough.

For a long time, my truck was my office.

I went from an F150 in navy, to one in white, with the vent shades. Neither had a sunroof.

I don't have data to back it up but I can only describe the temp difference as obviously noticeable. Huge even.
Thanks for the tip. Did you notice leaving the windows cracked with the sunshade leads to more dirt/dust in the cab?

OP
OP

maxis1230

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
My Truck is orange, but the problem with these trucks is there is so much glass. I love pano roofs, but often had the sunshade closed most of the time because of the heat. Ended up getting Xpel ceramic tint at 15% for the pano roof in addition to side and back windows. Just the pano tint alone made a huge difference. And now I keep the shade open all the time and enjoy the airiness it provides. Also use the Covercraft windshield screen when parked.
IMG_4255.jpg
That looks nice! Are you saying you did the pano first and it made a huge difference before you got the rest?

Sponsored

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Remote start it occasionally, and just remember to leave the temp set to something reasonable when you turn it off after a normal drive.

OP
OP

maxis1230

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Ceramic tint all around and I have 5% sides and 50% windshield. It's not a big issue when I daily the truck since I park it in a garage. At home, it sits outside but doesn't get anywhere as hot as my other vehicles even without the sunshade.
Unfortunately the police around me have a thing about pulling people over for tint on the regular and its $250/ticket. Strange question for you, I was at a tint shop today and they told me they don't do ceramic because it negatively impacts cell signal. Do you notice this being an issue? I thought that sounded a bit "off".

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Thanks for the tip. Did you notice leaving the windows cracked with the sunshade leads to more dirt/dust in the cab?
No doubt, since I was working in site development at the time. Heavy equipment and trucks, were part of the deal and so was the dust. You learn to park strategically, pretty fast under those conditions but there is no escaping it.

bushpilot

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F150, 4x4, 3.5L, PB 7.2KW, Platinum
I ALWAYS tint the glass roof (done it on our '17 F350 CrewCab, '20 Expedition MAX and now our '23 F150 SuperCrew EC/PB).

I tint over the factory tint with 5% (limo) tint on the panoramic roof and any glass behind the front doors....front doors get 15% and everything gets a deep 5% eyebrow tint.

In addition to that...I use the full set of Weather Tech Sunshades....even with the TINT! Its rare that the sunshades are ever remove from the rear doors and back windows.

you COULD also make your own sunshade for the panoramic roof - I've made sunshades from REFLECTIX (foil backed-bubble insulation).

JBdoingJBstuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Raptor, 2020 GT350R, 2016 Porsche GT4
That looks nice! Are you saying you did the pano first and it made a huge difference before you got the rest?

Yes sir. Heres what it looks like tinted from the inside. The ceramic film has 97% IR rejection. Very little heat coming through. No degradation in radio or cell signal with ceramic. The old metallic films did however. Get a new tint guy.......
Ford F-150 Black Paint = Hot Truck - What are your go to mitigation tips? IMG_3768
Sponsored